Brewer Fanatic

Sophia Minnaert

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I actually think she does a pretty good job. Those "sideline" reporters have a tough gig.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have no complaints about Sophia. She's light years better than what we've had to endure in the past. She's actually likable.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I'm not sure what people expect, she's a sideline report. All she can do is basic fluff type stuff. Do it competently without being obnoxious is all I ask. I think she does just fine and the Spanish addition is a big plus in baseball. She's from Madison from a good family too that everyone seems to like and I've had good interactions with, good to keep it local when you can.

I'm not sure what people expect, she's a sideline report. All she can do is basic fluff type stuff. Do it competently without being obnoxious is all I ask. I think she does just fine and the Spanish addition is a big plus in baseball. She's from Madison from a good family too that everyone seems to like and I've had good interactions with, good to keep it local when you can.

The only really good value they can bring is injury updates and she does a great job with it. I mean really. She's worse than Telly? Not a chance.

One announcer thing I've thought the last few years is why do you need so many people? You don't need tv booth guys. plus two other nelson/augy/coshun types on a booth on the field somewhere. Plus the actual announcers, plus a sideline person like her or Telly.

The two announcers and two other people total at most is all you need.

Funny enough, her father was and still is my high school football coach. When they say she comes from a sports family its an understatement. That entire family practically breathes sports. As for her speaking Spanish, I'm not surprised seeing her mother and father are also fluent to different degrees (mother is a native speaker from Costa Rica I believe and father is just really well learned, but I never asked specifically). Anyway, I just find it cool to see a name I recognize and I'm proud of the work she's put in. She is noticeably better than past commentary in my opinion, mostly because I barely noticed before hand. I guess I might be biased.

When Sophia first started she was incredibly stiff and monotone. Really hard to listen to. She has improved greatly and I can now tolerate her. Most sideline reporters ask dull and stupid questions. "How did you feel when you hit that game winning home run"... Sophia is no different. Trenni, on the other hand, was the only one I can remember that generally avoided the dumb questions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sophia is fine. She was pretty raw when she started, but has gotten better. Her ability to speak Spanish adds a nice facet to her job.

As people have noted - sideline reporter is often a thankless job, but I think she does just fine.

One announcer thing I've thought the last few years is why do you need so many people? You don't need tv booth guys. plus two other nelson/augy/coshun types on a booth on the field somewhere. Plus the actual announcers, plus a sideline person like her or Telly.

The two announcers and two other people total at most is all you need.

Totally agree with this

Archived