Brewer Fanatic

Robinson Cano suspended 80 games for PED use

Mlb whiparound yesterday stated Cano can serve his 80games while on DL. To some disgust on. Frank Thomas laid into him pretty thick. Cant think of his last nsme/Nick I believe first claimed questioning that 150+ game a season streak to maybe the Peds. Swisher is the last name, just thought of it.

I mean he did play with ARod. So it could have been a long term usage, especially with part of the Biogenisis rumor.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, any player who gets caught I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did it off and on for many, many years. It's Hakim's Razor.

LOL, I'm surprised nobody has commented on this yet. I just picture Mr. Olajuwon shaving.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I have nothing to base this on, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that over half of the league is using something. I suppose that's part of why I don't really care about these reports.

I care. If 5% or 90% were using PEDs I would still care. It's against the rules, and not fair to those players who don't want to abuse their bodies.

We know, man, we know.

Such as?

Pitchers using pine tar for one.

You said there are other rules that are broken and not enforced. This is a bad example, because it is enforced when a player is caught.

There is an understanding among the players that it's 'okay' for pitchers to use pine tar, or at least that's what players say, so no, I disagree that it is enforced. And yes, of course it's enforced when they are 'caught'. How many times do players get caught s year, once? Baseball is full of things that people choose to ignore.

And just for the record, I am pretty sure I've seen Dan Jennings put something on his hand before he pitches. He turned his back and took his cap off and rubbed his left hand inside his cap...and I don't really care because no one else seems to either.

There is an understanding among the players that it's 'okay' for pitchers to use pine tar, or at least that's what players say, so no, I disagree that it is enforced. And yes, of course it's enforced when they are 'caught'. How many times do players get caught s year, once? Baseball is full of things that people choose to ignore.

No, I don't think players are ok with it. Players rarely get caught because I don't think it's much of a "thing" anymore. Multiple HD cameras have taken care of that.

Yea, any player who gets caught I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did it off and on for many, many years. It's Hakim's Razor.

LOL, I'm surprised nobody has commented on this yet. I just picture Mr. Olajuwon shaving.

You may want to Google it...

You may want to Google it...

It's usually spelled Occam or Ockham.

Yes, this was my point. I didn't want to specifically call you out on your misspelling...

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

No, I don't think players are ok with it. Players rarely get caught because I don't think it's much of a "thing" anymore. Multiple HD cameras have taken care of that.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/10852821/count-pitchers-continuing-use-pine-tar

This article is from 2014, but I think it is still relevant. It mentions it only gets called when it clearly crosses the line, but talks to many people who just go about business as usual.

This situation really shows the hole in the testing system. Cano was connected to Biogenesis through his assistant. He has probably been doing the stuff forever and took this long to screw it up. Even after nearly getting caught up in Biogenesis he still didn’t stop. A guy like Ryan Braun could still easily do them if he is confident enough in the masking agent.

MLB's dirty secret may be legal soon

From the 2018 article:

Brian Matusz was caught with a foreign substance on his arm in Miami in 2015...

"Why is he getting penalized when we know that 90 percent of guys are probably using it, anyways?" asks Nationals catcher Matt Wieters, a teammate of Matusz's in 2015 and now in his 10th season as an MLB catcher.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776159-absolutely-im-all-for-it-mlbs-stars-debate-pitchers-using-pine-tar?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Archived