Brewer Fanatic

Robinson Cano suspended 80 games for PED use

Wasn't a Cano associate linked to biogenisis a few years ago when he was still a yankee? I think they eventually cleared Cano in that instance, but could have easily been due to his associate falling on the sword and keeping their mouth shut.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-second-baseman-robinson-cano-surprised-by-report-of-link-to-biogenesis-clinic/c-45492012

Quick google search netted me this. Maybe biogenesis sent her the drugs, and this lady was paid handsomely to potentially take the fall.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As they say, follow the money and there is simply too much money and too much competition to take there jobs to not go the extra mile.

If you look at Canos numbers its very likely he has been on some sort of PEDs most of his career.

I have nothing to base this on, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that over half of the league is using something. I suppose that's part of why I don't really care about these reports.

15 years ago, I would buy this 1000%. These days I don't think so. I'm sure a signficant number of players skate the system, but for me a significant number is maybe 3-5% at most. That still would be 30-50 guys that make an mlb appearance that are cheating.

Yep, that's fair. I just think there are always guys 'ahead' of the testing. People are always trying to find a way to be better, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out there is still massive guys using, and I for one, couldn't care less.

I have nothing to base this on, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that over half of the league is using something. I suppose that's part of why I don't really care about these reports.

I care. If 5% or 90% were using PEDs I would still care. It's against the rules, and not fair to those players who don't want to abuse their bodies.

Wasn't a Cano associate linked to biogenisis a few years ago when he was still a yankee? I think they eventually cleared Cano in that instance, but could have easily been due to his associate falling on the sword and keeping their mouth shut.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-second-baseman-robinson-cano-surprised-by-report-of-link-to-biogenesis-clinic/c-45492012

Quick google search netted me this. Maybe biogenesis sent her the drugs, and this lady was paid handsomely to potentially take the fall.

well, that and the fact both Arod and Melky Cabrera were implicated with Biogenesis - who happened to both be extremely close to Cano on a professional and personal level, respectively.

Yea I wasn't saying I predict he was innocent, just that I wouldn't be surprised given his contract status and HOF status. Of course I'd guess this was something he'd done several times over the years.

For me, I'd just move the line a bit to allow more of the stuff to be legal. I want the best players on the field. Keep the real anabolic stuff of the 90s to massively bulk up out of play but loosen up on the other stuff a bit.

Yea I wasn't saying I predict he was innocent, just that I wouldn't be surprised given his contract status and HOF status. Of course I'd guess this was something he'd done several times over the years.

For me, I'd just move the line a bit to allow more of the stuff to be legal. I want the best players on the field. Keep the real anabolic stuff of the 90s to massively bulk up out of play but loosen up on the other stuff a bit.

The key is best players on the field not best a pharmacy can produce. Like FVBF said earlier it isn't fair to ask clean players to risk their health just to keep up with someone they are better than naturally. The problem with making some stuff legal is a lot of the lighter stuff are used as masking agents. If you move the line and make some of them legal then you essentially make harder stuff impossible to catch. At this point they all know what is going to produce a positive test so there aren't many good excuses left for failing a test.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I get it, we can be high and mighty and make it as strict as possible because everyone is obsessed with this in baseball for some reason. Everyone can have their opinion and I see all sides, just saying mine. But really it came down to an arbitrary chosen line on the list of supplements, they could have moved it to point B instead of point A and none of us would know the difference and less people are then 'cheaters'. I believe MLB is considered to have the strictest ban and best testing in all of sports, including the Olympics. I'm just saying I wouldn't care if they pulled back a bit to be kind of more the same as other leagues. Keep in mind a lot of this stuff is totally legal for joe schmo to use in every day life. It's not like the anabolic stuff of 25 years ago that was a massive health risk to the body like is being implied here, some of this stuff is healthy for you.

I get it, we can be high and mighty and make it as strict as possible because everyone is obsessed with this in baseball for some reason. Everyone can have their opinion and I see all sides, just saying mine. But really it came down to an arbitrary chosen line on the list of supplements, they could have moved it to point B instead of point A and none of us would know the difference and less people are then 'cheaters'. I believe MLB is considered to have the strictest ban and best testing in all of sports, including the Olympics. I'm just saying I wouldn't care if they pulled back a bit to be kind of more the same as other leagues. Keep in mind a lot of this stuff is totally legal for joe schmo to use in every day life. It's not like the anabolic stuff of 25 years ago that was a massive health risk to the body like is being implied here, some of this stuff is healthy for you.

False, it came down to Cano using a substances that Cano knows he isn't allowed to use...and him getting caught using it.

I care. If 5% or 90% were using PEDs I would still care. It's against the rules, and not fair to those players who don't want to abuse their bodies.

That's a fine opinion to have. There are a lot of things against the rules that don't get enforced and I guess I'm just over it.

That's a fine opinion to have. There are a lot of things against the rules that don't get enforced and I guess I'm just over it.

Such as?

Such as?

He could be referring to the selective enforcement of pine tar for pitchers, and other substances pitchers use to aid them with grip/spin.

Let's talk about the real scandal here - people who use PED's to enhance their ability to argue more convincingly and make more accurate predictions on bf.net. It's time to level the playing field.

Kinda disappointed about Cano. I understand being "over it" but I think you have to hold the line. Gotta reward people who are clean for doing it the right way and continue to punish cheaters, even though you'll never catch them all. Lots of PED's are out of your system fast and I'm guessing people take a calculated risk and use them when they need them, hoping that's not one of the few days a year they get tested.

Another issue is just the fact that not all PED's are "bad" like steroids. A little HGH or testosterone is prescribed to aid healing for a variety of conditions. Heck, steroids are too, but from a sporting perspective, I draw a distinction between helping you recover your baseline ability and actually improving it. Drawing a different line between PED's and allowable medical treatments could make this a lot simpler. Steroids stay in your system a long time if I'm not mistaken. Those will always be banned and pretty easy to test for. If testosterone was allowed, you'd at least know that everyone is allowed to use it, as opposed to knowing that many are cheating and getting away with it.

Let's talk about the real scandal here - people who use PED's to enhance their ability to argue more convincingly and make more accurate predictions on bf.net. It's time to level the playing field.

Kinda disappointed about Cano. I understand being "over it" but I think you have to hold the line. Gotta reward people who are clean for doing it the right way and continue to punish cheaters, even though you'll never catch them all. Lots of PED's are out of your system fast and I'm guessing people take a calculated risk and use them when they need them, hoping that's not one of the few days a year they get tested.

Another issue is just the fact that not all PED's are "bad" like steroids. A little HGH or testosterone is prescribed to aid healing for a variety of conditions. Heck, steroids are too, but from a sporting perspective, I draw a distinction between helping you recover your baseline ability and actually improving it. Drawing a different line between PED's and allowable medical treatments could make this a lot simpler. Steroids stay in your system a long time if I'm not mistaken. Those will always be banned and pretty easy to test for. If testosterone was allowed, you'd at least know that everyone is allowed to use it, as opposed to knowing that many are cheating and getting away with it.

Well said. Better than I've been able to say it over the years and in this thread.

Loosening up is great and all...except they usually don’t have legit prescriptions for this stuff when they get it. Likely wouldn’t get it prescribed even if it wasn’t against MLB rules. A lot of this stuff is illegal to be prescribed unless you have a really good reason.

There are many products legal for them to use for healing etc. a line was drawn and players are crossing over it. Let’s not act like they don’t have access to good substances to use.

The number of players from the Dominican that have been suspended for PED's is disproportionate to the number of Dominicans in the game. And just Latin American players in general. Not giving anyone a free pass but there is clearly some sort of language or cultural barrier here.

Cano should have hired Braun's lawyer.

Probably did honestly. I can't remember who, but shortly after the Braun suspension someone did use his lawyer. I am sure he gets a lot of business after that successful appeal.

Such as?

Pitchers using pine tar for one.

You said there are other rules that are broken and not enforced. This is a bad example, because it is enforced when a player is caught.

- Batter requirement to stay in the box

- No fraternization between players

- Calling a 'ball' when the pitcher takes too long to deliver the pitch

- Batter must make an attempt to avoid pitch to be awarded base

- Batter requirement to stay in the box

- No fraternization between players

- Calling a 'ball' when the pitcher takes too long to deliver the pitch

- Batter must make an attempt to avoid pitch to be awarded base

These reaches pretty much prove my point. And batters do get called out for not trying to avoid the pitch.

Batter required to be in the box is probably your best example, but that isn't enforced for anyone so the players are on an even playing field. That's the problem with PEDs, unfair advantage for those breaking the rules over those who do not.

Archived