Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-13: Brewers (Peralta) at Rockies (Gray) 2:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-3; Freddy Peralta Dominates in MLB Debut -- 5.2 IP, 13 K’s, 1 H, 0 ER]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

HkZlLoA.jpg

[pre]Brewers Lineup Rockies Lineup

1. Christian Yelich (L) CF 1. DJ LeMahieu ® 2B

2. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B 2. David Dahl (L) LF

3. Ryan Braun ® LF 3. Charlie Blackmon (L) CF

4. Travis Shaw (L) 3B 4. Nolan Arenado ® 3B

5. Domingo Santana ® RF 5. Carlos Gonzalez (L) RF

6. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B 6. Trevor Story ® SS

7. Manny Piña ® C 7. Ian Desmond ® 1B

8. Tyler Saladino ® SS 8. Tony Wolters (L) C

9. Freddy Peralta ® P 9. Jon Gray ® P

[/pre]

————————————————————

Freddy Peralta’s MLB debut today, here is a scouting blurb from this year’s Baseball America Prospect Handbook...

Acquired from the Mariners in the 2015 trade for Adam Lind, Peralta has long been knocked for being too undersized for a starting pitcher. He hardly let that get in his way in 2017 as he cruised through high Class A Carolina and Double-A Biloxi, posting a combined 2.63 ERA with 169 strikeouts in 120 innings. He led the minors with a .178 opponent average.

Peralta is confident and aggressive on the mound, challenging hitters with a fastball in the low to mid-90s, with good movement and improved command. He has deception with a bit of crossfire delivery, and hitters have trouble picking up the ball, leading to plenty of swings and misses. Because of his “disappearing fastball,” many have compared him with former Brewers starter Mike Fiers, who got the job done without an overpowering fastball because hitters picked up the ball so late. Peralta repeats his delivery well and mixes in a slider to keep opponents off his fastball. He also has an above average changeup he throws for strikes with deceptive arm speed. Peralta strikes out opponents with seeming ease but still issues too many walks and must improve his control. He displays good mound presence and a feel for pitching, particularly given his youth. He’s an intelligent pitcher with good instincts.

Despite concerns about Peralta’s size, the Brewers believe he can be a mid-rotation starter because of his stuff and intangibles.

————————————————————

Happy Mother’s Day!

HkZpZre.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've brought up the size issues with pitchers before, but I think that's only a concern when the pitcher gets to 27-28 years old because some of the smaller ones tend to break down around that time. Not really concerned out it with a young guy like Peralta at all. His walk rate does concern me. 4.4 walks per nine innings this year. Was 4.7 walks per nine innings last year.

I can imagine his nerves are going to be through the roof considering it is his debut and his family is there for the first time. Here is to hoping the Crew can knock Gray around and let the kid breathe a bit on the mound.

Excited to watch.

Shocked to see Braun starting again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've brought up the size issues with pitchers before, but I think that's only a concern when the pitcher gets to 27-28 years old because some of the smaller ones tend to break down around that time. Not really concerned out it with a young guy like Peralta at all. His walk rate does concern me. 4.4 walks per nine innings this year. Was 4.7 walks per nine innings last year.

So he's improving.

Really need a starter to grab a spot and run with it. Was hoping Woodruff would, but that hasn't happened. Excited to see Peralta today, maybe he will be the guy to step up, although Colorado not the easiest place to make your pitching debut.

Would have been nice to have Cain in the line-up for Freddy's first start. Give the kid the best possible line-up.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

All too often this team will get an extra base hit to lead off an inning only for him to be left standing there at the end of it. Meat of the order, bottom of the order, seems to make no difference. Poor job.

Archived