Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Peralta and Jorge Lopez recalled......Anderson to 10 day DL, Asher to AAA

markedman5
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess super-2 status could be a big concern with keeping Peralta up?

If it meant Suter never started another game then I’d be fine with it...

Suter won't have to start much once guys get healthy, regardless of what they do with Freddy. Personally I think they should send him back down when they can because I think he could get hit pretty hard once teams have more film on him and have seen him before, and the Brewers can't afford to endure the "bad Fiers" stage with him.

I guess super-2 status could be a big concern with keeping Peralta up?

If it meant Suter never started another game then I’d be fine with it...

Suter won't have to start much once guys get healthy, regardless of what they do with Freddy. Personally I think they should send him back down when they can because I think he could get hit pretty hard once teams have more film on him and have seen him before, and the Brewers can't afford to endure the "bad Fiers" stage with him.

I think you're right on Suter, he's like the 9th or 10th option in relief and 7th option in the rotation right now(roughly)...but with injuries he's logged quite a few innings in both spots. When we are fully healthy, he's not on the 25.

I think you're right on Suter, he's like the 9th or 10th option in relief and 7th option in the rotation right now(roughly)...but with injuries he's logged quite a few innings in both spots. When we are fully healthy, he's not on the 25.

I actually meant Peralta should be sent down before the element of surprise is gone, but pretty much everything except super-2 considerations and service time applies to Suter as well. I don't think everyone is going to be healthy enough to not have Suter on the 25 for much of the season though. That would be extremely fortunate with regard to health.

I actually meant Peralta should be sent down before the element of surprise is gone, but pretty much everything except super-2 considerations and service time applies to Suter as well. I don't think everyone is going to be healthy enough to not have Suter on the 25 for much of the season though. That would be extremely fortunate with regard to health.

Only the Cubs have that type of luck, can you imagine how terrible that team would be if they had 3 injuries at the top of their rotation and 3 or 4 bullpen injuries? They might be sub-500.

I can understand your thought process on Peralta. I personally think he'll be much better in the bullpen where guys only see him once...especially considering he's a high k/bb guy. If you can tick up his deceptive fastball a bit in the bullpen, dare I say he could be RH Hader? All that said, as of now we need SP and in my opinion he ranks ahead of Suter/Woodruff on the pecking order for starts until the injured guys come back. Guerra has been very effective so far, and Chacin ranks ahead because $. At the moment, those 5 are our rotation though so I suspect we'll see more Peralta.

What a great explanation of what we saw. The fact he can hide the ball that much longer and "throw" it from that much closer than most pitchers.... makes you excited to be a Brewers fan... cause that wasn't a pitcher debuting vs the Reds, that was a good hitting team in a good hitters park... and they had trouble picking up his pitches.

Not holding by breath, but we might be on to something... and the pure joy in his interviews... hard to not root for the kid - love that!!

So basically even though they knew what was coming, they didn't know where it was going to be, and by the time they saw it, it was too late to react properly. If he could harness a change with that exact same arm motion, he'd be absolutely devastating to hitters.

I will temper my excitement a little bit because his off speed didn't look like anything special and he got some key swings on pitches way out of the zone. Despite that, he has a bright future.

I’m not really that convinced on Freddy Peralta. I don’t care about his early success one bit. He has the perfect make-up to have incredible rookie success and then take massive steps back once the league gets used to him. His control is pretty questionable and throwing that much down the middle of the plate seems destined to not work. Without an improvement in control he probably will have a shaky time in a rotation.

Very intriguing guy none the less. Should be fun to see what he can do.

I will temper my excitement a little bit because his off speed didn't look like anything special and he got some key swings on pitches way out of the zone. Despite that, he has a bright future.

True, but is it really fair to judge a pitcher breaking ball while pitching in Colorado? His breaking ball should be a huge weapon for him going forward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I’m not really that convinced on Freddy Peralta. I don’t care about his early success one bit. He has the perfect make-up to have incredible rookie success and then take massive steps back once the league gets used to him. His control is pretty questionable and throwing that much down the middle of the plate seems destined to not work. Without an improvement in control he probably will have a shaky time in a rotation.

If it's hard to pick up the ball off him, it will always be hard. That's not the type of thing batters where hitters adapt. But I do agree he struggles with location at times. He does have a good change, just had no reason to use it in Colorado, he knows better than that.

He will need to work on control, work on changing things up a bit, etc. But that's true of any pitcher, always. Sure, he can go south, as any player can. But give me a pitcher with an electric FB and good off-speed stuff, and I'll take my chances.

If it's hard to pick up the ball off him, it will always be hard. That's not the type of thing batters where hitters adapt. But I do agree he struggles with location at times. He does have a good change, just had no reason to use it in Colorado, he knows better than that.

He will need to work on control, work on changing things up a bit, etc. But that's true of any pitcher, always. Sure, he can go south, as any player can. But give me a pitcher with an electric FB and good off-speed stuff, and I'll take my chances.

I thought the report was more along the lines that he is developing a change. I do agree it is a pitch to avoid throwing in CO. The main concern that I see with him throwing a change up is that if he tends to work high and his location is inconsistent, that change could wind up hanging a lot and getting hammered.

He is different though, the way he hides it...and the way he looks in general. That will throw batters off, it was similar with Mike Fiers. Who after a nice Cy Young run to start his career ended up mostly average (not saying he will end up like Fiers).

I’m just saying I could see a similar hype train ending in a lot of dissapointment. Though his lack of command might be problematic from the get go. I could see nice success in our bullpen heavy pitching staff.

He has more velo than Fiers did in the beginning, doesn't he? Also, he's younger so likely to hold that velo a bit longer compared to when fiers first came up. It's one thing to have a deceptive delivery. It's another to have a deceptive delivery and velocity. Really, the 3rd step would be the control, but it seems to me, that deceptive whippy motion is probably harder to repeat with the precision needed for really good control. But, any improvement in that aspect would sure help ensure his long term viability.

He has more velo than Fiers did in the beginning, doesn't he? Also, he's younger so likely to hold that velo a bit longer compared to when fiers first came up. It's one thing to have a deceptive delivery. It's another to have a deceptive delivery and velocity. Really, the 3rd step would be the control, but it seems to me, that deceptive whippy motion is probably harder to repeat with the precision needed for really good control. But, any improvement in that aspect would sure help ensure his long term viability.

I think Fiers topped out around 90 or 91....avg speed of 89

The other area that Peralta has a big advantage over Fiers is he has been able to keep the ball in the park.....has only given up 20 home runs in 400 innings in the minors.

Let's hope that trend continues in the majors.

His control is pretty questionable and throwing that much down the middle of the plate seems destined to not work. Without an improvement in control he probably will have a shaky time in a rotation.

I think we were watching different games. I didn't see a whole lot of stuff down the middle. I saw a lot of stuff along the edges of the zone and while he didn't have pinpoint control he had strong command - when they wanted the pitch on the outside part it was on the outside part, when the wanted it up it was up, when they wanted it inside or down it was inside or down. I thought he was successful because he used all parts of the plate and was great at changing hitter's eye level because of working up and down, in and out.

Not only is he tough to pick up out of the hand, he has two different grips on his fastball which make it react in very different ways. So while yes he threw 90 fastballs out of 98 pitches, those 90 fastballs were comprised of 2 different pitches. It's more than simply hiding the ball well, guys and gals. I am once again blown away by all the scouts here making predictions and determinations without knowing these things.

Plus his fastballs are different speeds......add a little...take a little off.....hard to get real comfortable when you don't see it well and he keeps you off balance with changes of speed and moving it around the zone.

His control is pretty questionable and throwing that much down the middle of the plate seems destined to not work. Without an improvement in control he probably will have a shaky time in a rotation.

I think we were watching different games. I didn't see a whole lot of stuff down the middle. I saw a lot of stuff along the edges of the zone and while he didn't have pinpoint control he had strong command - when they wanted the pitch on the outside part it was on the outside part, when the wanted it up it was up, when they wanted it inside or down it was inside or down. I thought he was successful because he used all parts of the plate and was great at changing hitter's eye level because of working up and down, in and out.

I saw quite a few pitches down the pipe, and so did the article linked earlier in the thread which has a plot of his pitches. He definitely pitched a good game, but he's going to need to cut down on that a bit in the long run.

Archived