Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Peralta and Jorge Lopez recalled......Anderson to 10 day DL, Asher to AAA

markedman5
Now if Woodruff could just have a 1/3 of the performance that Peralta just had, I wouldn’t be losing faith in him. I mentioned just wanting prospects to show you something to make you hopeful to help deal with any of the struggles..... well Peralta.... my word was he fun to watch today!!! Better than I could have even hoped for!

Just remember that Jimmy Nelson took a couple years bouncing between AAA and MLB before he stuck permanently. Then he had two mediocre years before breaking out last year. Both Jimmy and Brandon struggled with control issues but good stuff. Not sure if Woodruff can follow Nelson, but its not an uncommon problem.

I think both are very comparable & you hope the light clicks sooner than later. This season with rotation is his big opportunity & he just hasn’t done much to try to lay claim to a permanent spot. Still early but looking for that outing this year where he clicks & gives us some hope. He has the arm talent, now it’s just doing it.

Peralta I believe earned another start today. Anderson & Guerra are only two others who are healthy & need spots. Anderson’s era is much better than actual performance. He’s leaving like 88% of runners on base which is not very sustainable for a starter. Rest of his numbers are not inspiring but track record says he will be fine. Guerra has been outstanding. Davies when back is Davies & solid. Suter has been okay. His bat has been outstanding with a .3 WAR nearly matching his .4 WAR from pitching lol

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peralta I believe earned another start today.

Good gosh I would certainly hope so.

Never know with the endless revolving door DS & CC operate with. Here today, gone tomorrow, repeat in few weeks lol

I love Peralta, have been high on him for awhile and today was awesome.

With that said, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check going forward. I worry that the way he leaned on his fastball almost exclusively isn't going to be a long-term recipe for success.

Someone please tell me why I'm wrong, because I really do want to think we've found our next ace. :)

Community Moderator

With that said, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check going forward. I worry that the way he leaned on his fastball almost exclusively isn't going to be a long-term recipe for success.

Someone please tell me why I'm wrong, because I really do want to think we've found our next ace. :)

I agree with this verbatim. I love Peralta’s mound presence and I am really happy for him to have such an outstanding debut. I think for sustained success as an MLB starter he is going to need to continue to develop and use his other pitches. It is hard to blame him for not trusting the slider in Colorado though. It is nice to have a Brewers starting pitcher that will be must-see TV in the near term.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Nobody should lose any faith in Woodruff. He was a top 100 prospect until he wasn't eligible and he really hasn't even had an extended look in the bigs. I still have high hopes for him.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Maybe pitching in CS has taught him to lean more on Fastball in Colorado but he has an above average nasty slider I expect him to use much more. Surprised to see the curve a few times though. Didn’t know he threw one at all

Peralta I believe earned another start today.

Good gosh I would certainly hope so.

Never know with the endless revolving door DS & CC operate with. Here today, gone tomorrow, repeat in few weeks lol

As someone who witnessed Chris Saenz one and only major league start, nothing would surprise me.

Watching Peralta pitch today was fun.

You can see a little of how he loses it a little here and there control wise but I really do think that is him trying to nibble and be too cute.

But once he went back to attacking he found out that the hitters really do have a tough time picking up the ball out of his hand and he had success again.

They need to just keep enstilled in him to pound the zone because whatever he does to conceal the release point sure did make some really good hitters look silly today , and I hope and pray that carries over and we really do have a Sheets quality player (with potential to not break down as fast as a non ‘power’ piarcher) cause man oh man that would be such a good thing and as a life long fan, super fun to watch!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Peralta threw 120 innings last year. He's at roughly 40 this year. So assuming they bump him up about 30% he'd hit 160 or so this year. Just adding this as part of the discussion since it may play into how they use him later on in the year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nobody should lose any faith in Woodruff. He was a top 100 prospect until he wasn't eligible and he really hasn't even had an extended look in the bigs. I still have high hopes for him.

In fairness, being a top 100 prospect doesn’t mean much in terms of MLB production... def the lower parts of the list. Again I still hope he figures it out but at some point he needs to flash the talent he has at the MLB level. He has the body, the arm, the talent, now it’s time to show it. Guys like Burnes & Ortiz are licking their chops for their opportunity & like Peralta may just have, pass him up.

Truth is the MLB isn’t a friendly business (usually). End of day it is about production plan & simple. I wanted Woodruff to win job & breakout. I’m cheering for him. I was so disappointed he got hurt last year. He just needs to start to produce & start to earn the right to start games. Since beginning of spring though, he has just been completely off his game at MLB level. He looked far more promising last year.

Brandon Woodruff has pitched 55 innings in the pros. Man are we good at jumping the gun on some things.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He might have leaned on his fastball because curveballs don't work as well at altitude. I know every site you look at says it's a slider but it looked like a hard curve to me.

Brandon Woodruff has pitched 55 innings in the pros. Man are we good at jumping the gun on some things.

I am being overly critical of Woodruff. He actually was very good in his first 23 innings giving up only 4 runs with 20 Ks.... since that first start in September though he has been simply rough to say the least. He carried a bad September into a very bad spring training, an awful 2 starts with few decent relief outings. Think most my frustration is I had high hopes for him coming into season. He did nothing in spring to deserve a 25 man spot but was happy they were going to go with him still. Then he has looked bad nearly every time he has touched the ball. Again I want him to turn it on & believe he can be good. Plenty of post over last year to support that but he has been Ben Hendrickson awful since he reported to camp when not facing AAA hitters.

Again, MLB is about production. People were upset that we didn’t go buy pitching or trade away farm for pitching. We are a competitive team like it or not and he simply does not have luxury of pitching awful and working through it all season. There are guys in system, guys injuried & others come late June or July through trade who will knock him down on depth chart if he does not figure it out. Since spring, he came in not ready to compete or shown slightest hint he can be successful at this level when given a golden opportunity. He needs to figure it out. Plan & simple. 55 innings is small & now he gets inconsistent opportunities but he has to learn to rise to occasion & force Brewers to keep him in rotation

One of the most overrated factors we all talk about is fastball speed. Far more important are location, movement, and especially ability for the hitter to pick it up. Watch Woodruff and Peralra and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Woodruff is, for lack of a better word, hittable. When he lacates, he's tough. He has a big fb, but doesn't seem to "play" that fast. Peralta, on the other hand, is harder to pick up and it's just on you. Much like Hader. You would think they're throwing 98.

Not giving up on Woodruff, I think he needs to throw more off speed stuff to have success at the MLB level.

Woodruff is, for lack of a better word, hittable. When he lacates, he's tough.

Toughest lactater I've ever seen

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

One of the most overrated factors we all talk about is fastball speed. Far more important are location, movement, and especially ability for the hitter to pick it up. Watch Woodruff and Peralra and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Woodruff is, for lack of a better word, hittable. When he lacates, he's tough. He has a big fb, but doesn't seem to "play" that fast. Peralta, on the other hand, is harder to pick up and it's just on you. Much like Hader. You would think they're throwing 98.

Not giving up on Woodruff, I think he needs to throw more off speed stuff to have success at the MLB level.

This ^^^

Peralta’s fastball had outstanding movement & life, he hides it pretty well leading it to jump on hitters hitters. His command was great with fb. He sat 91-92 & topped out at 94 & struck out 13 throwing nearly all fastballs.

Woodruff has a power fastball but again it is hittable. 98 but straight isn’t that tough on hitters.... look at Wily. However, when Woodruff’s off-speed is on & he can locate fb, he is very good. Hader & Peralta can live off fb because it is live & jumps on hitters. Woodruff needs off-speed & fb location to let velo dominate. Keep hitters off balanced & locate a 97-98 mph is deadly. He does that & he will be what we hope he can be

Woodruff will be fine with a little more fine tuning. The physical talent is there. Nelson is a good comparison.

My big point is, look at all the number of quality arms we have AND how young and controllable these arms will be for the next half decade and beyond. All we need is Buzz Lightyear and to infinity we go.

I'll admit that I wasn't super high on Peralta for a number of reasons, namely his small stature and the fact that he isn't a hard thrower. He surprised me with his stuff yesterday, though. He sat at 91-94, while occasionally touching 95, with plenty of movement. His breaking stuff looked good, and he has great deception in his delivery. If he can continue to locate like he did yesterday, he's going to be good. So far, I am very happy to be wrong.

I saw pretty good movement on some of his fastballs but some seemed pretty straight. Definitely can tell that he has some deception in his delivery because there were a lot of 92-93 MPH fastballs that seemed to get right on top of hitters. Arm angle looks like it would make it that much tougher on right handed hitters. Did have a minor hiccup the first time he had to pitch out of the stretch. All I can say is I'm very, very happy he had a great first outing because anything less and he'd probably be back in the minors within a week.

I guess super-2 status could be a big concern with keeping Peralta up?

In theory it could (he's probably up before the super-2 cut off) but considering he only had 120 IP last year and 80IP the year before I see him getting shutdown and optioned back to the minors before the year is over (mid-August?) even if he remains fantastic all year. Or once everyone is healthy (Anderson, Davies, Miley, Nelson), they send him down in July & August, limit his innings, then bring him back for the September playoff run?

I guess super-2 status could be a big concern with keeping Peralta up?

If he keeps pitching like that, it will be hard to justify ever sending him down. However it did look like the Rockies were helping him out by swinging at a lot of bad balls. It's possible that his deception and changing location kept hitters so off balance that they had to swing before they could tell it was a ball. We should know a lot more after his next start.

It's possible he'll go down no matter what, because of business / roster management reasons. But you have to think that if he keeps racking up the K's without giving up much of anything you have to think they will find a way to keep him in the rotation.

Archived