Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Peralta and Jorge Lopez recalled......Anderson to 10 day DL, Asher to AAA

markedman5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rotation is currently without Nelson, Anderson and Davies. Whoa.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Excited to see what Freddy can do! Glad they are giving him a shot! Woodruff has pitched like a AAAA pitcher since spring & has done nothing to impress with the opportunities given. Peralta has a chance right now to earn some starts with strong showing! Suter is better in swing role.

Edit: absolutely no clue how or why it said Wily lol guess I was remembering a time when I was eagerly waiting for debut of another Peralta future Ace.... hope this turns out better!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Peralta had the biggest smile throughout his interview about being called up. Good for him, obviously hope he does well.

Ditto this -- give the clip a watch if you haven't seen it. Just a young guy over the moon about his opportunity & having his loved ones there with him:

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Glad they are giving him a shot! Woodruff has pitched like a AAAA pitcher since spring & has done nothing to impress with the opportunities given. !

Please explain how Woodruff has looked like a 4A pitcher.

Outside of Colorado he has a sub 4 ERA, FIP, and xFIP with a 10:2 K:BB in 9.1 innings. His SIERA is still under 4. His fastball has been over 95 mph in every appearance. His slider looks sharp a number of times.

Of coarse its a small sample on a pitcher and a league still adjusting to one another but its hard for me to believe he isnt one of our 5 best rotation options at this point and it isnt in our best interest to give him more chances.

Good pitchers have gotten hit in Colorado before..

Glad they are giving him a shot! Woodruff has pitched like a AAAA pitcher since spring & has done nothing to impress with the opportunities given. !

Outside of Colorado he has a sub 4 ERA, FIP, and xFIP with a 10:2 K:BB in 9.1 innings. His SIERA is still under 4. His fastball has been over 95 mph in every appearance. His slider looks sharp a number of times.

Of coarse its a small sample on a pitcher and a league still adjusting to one another but its hard for me to believe he isnt one of our 5 best rotation options at this point and it isnt in our best interest to give him more chances.

If Woodruff is one of our 5 best rotation options we have serious problems. He looks like a worse Wily Peralta reincarnated....and that's not a good thing.

Woodruff has to command his fastball better to get major league hitters out. That's key for almost all pitchers though and that's ultimately what did in Wily Peralta too. He also lacks a wipe out changeup or splitter. After a little adversity he seems to just lose command and throw it. the fastball doesn't move much so it has to be located well. He should watch how Chacin gets hitters moving his fastball around but staying out of the middle of the plate out or develop a third pitch and use it.

If Woodruff is one of our 5 best rotation options we have serious problems. He looks like a worse Wily Peralta reincarnated....and that's not a good thing.

Woodruff's brief career, even despite his struggles, he has a higher K:BB and swinging strike rate than Wily Peralta had in any season in his career. They arent the same pitcher and you can't expect the same development (or lack of) curve. He has pitched just over 50 big league innings, it is possible his fastball command is partially explained by nerves and mental lapses.

Don't rule out seeing Asher again, maybe even as a starter. He did just what was asked last night.

Throw garbage from the right side after Suter threw garbage from the left side? Sure Asher actually appeared to be able to keep most of his pitches down, while Suter still works too high for the crap he throws, I wouldn't be too excited about Asher with the repertoire he has. I don't get why location is so important for our hard throwing pitchers, but soft tossers like Suter and Asher get a pass at pretty pedestrian location...

Woodruff needs to start for on a regular rotation for 2 months. He has great stuff and reminds me of Nelson when he was younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the game (and even went back and watched all the Rockies hits)- it just seemed like any mistake he made the pitch was hammered. To me when a pitcher throws high 90’s and has a secondary pitch (slider in his case) that has enough bite, he will see success. So why isn’t Woodruff?

To me I think for now he has a tell on his pitches like mechanical changes based on pitch type - and his pitching mechanics overall are not allowing him to command the inside and outside corner of the plate which is critical for a fastball pitcher. I always thought this article laid out his pro’s and con’s well

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/pitcher-spotlight-the-pros-and-cons-of-brandon-woodruff/

I like Woodruff, he just needs to fix his mechanics a little

Sorry I will define a AAAA pitcher. A pitcher who dominates AAA, gets shelled and is not effective in MLB. I could careless how great he has been in AAA. Spring training he was awful at MLB level and every opportunity he has been given so far just about at MLB level he has not been good...... Has absolutely nothing to do with his minor league numbers. It has to do with him not getting job done time and time again. Starting.....not been good.....bullpen.... not been good. I'm usually all for guys getting opportunities but I do want Brewers to win games and he is purely a liability until he figures out his command woes. Usually with prospects you are looking for positives to keep believing in them, want them to get more chances, and to give you hope .......I want him to excel but he has done absolutely nothing to inspire much hope. There hasn't really been that dominant performance where you are like, wow.... this guy could be good. Small sample but on competitive team, you need to flash at some point

At this point I am excited that Peralta is getting a chance! We want to see what we have in these guys and who are the ones who are ready to step in and get guys out. Woodruff has gotten a few looks already, hopefully he improves eventually but Corbin Burnes, Luis Ortiz, and some of those other promising arms will get looks soon as well. Figure out who are our guys for the future, who is depth, and who who to sell while there is still value.

Now if Woodruff could just have a 1/3 of the performance that Peralta just had, I wouldn’t be losing faith in him. I mentioned just wanting prospects to show you something to make you hopeful to help deal with any of the struggles..... well Peralta.... my word was he fun to watch today!!! Better than I could have even hoped for!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Now if Woodruff could just have a 1/3 of the performance that Peralta just had, I wouldn’t be losing faith in him. I mentioned just wanting prospects to show you something to make you hopeful to help deal with any of the struggles..... well Peralta.... my word was he fun to watch today!!! Better than I could have even hoped for!

Just remember that Jimmy Nelson took a couple years bouncing between AAA and MLB before he stuck permanently. Then he had two mediocre years before breaking out last year. Both Jimmy and Brandon struggled with control issues but good stuff. Not sure if Woodruff can follow Nelson, but its not an uncommon problem.

Archived