Brewer Fanatic

Barnes optioned to AAA; Asher's contract purchased

markedman5

Pretty comical that Drake was allowed to collect a MLB salary for so long but now Barnes optioned.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Pretty comical that Drake was allowed to collect a MLB salary for so long but now Barnes optioned.

Agreed, this is pretty shocking.

Barnes been bad for about a week. He had a stretch like this last year too. Seems like a guy who gets dead arm, just needs some rest, then is fine again. He will be back up this month yet. Most likely to get his arm some rest and get a fresh arm up.

Not a shocking move at all, I would say more maintenance than demotion. He will be back shortly.

Problem is, I don't see anything on Asher's resume that indicates he is a major league quality pitcher.

There's plenty worse drawing major league paychecks. His resume is a lot stronger than was Guerra's. He was pretty good in 5 starts for the Phillies in 2016 and though his ERA was over 5 with the O's last year, his WHIP wasn't terrible and his BAA of .263 in the AL East isn't all that bad either. Guys like him get chances all the time around the league. At 26, he's still a guy who could be a back end starter in the right situation.

I'm just a little surprised they went Barnes over Williams, both put in pretty heavy workloads yesterday. No real issue though, Barnes has some things to work on right now. I get that he's much better than Drake but they never had the flexibility to option down Drake. Barnes they do.

Surprised it wasnt Woodruff and call up another starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing this means that they think Davies might miss another start or two and don't want to be in the position to have to wait 10 days to call Woodruff back up. Games like last night can happen to anyone in Colorado.

Barnes with a .379 BABIP this year - hard to believe that a 2.84 ERA/3.26 FIP is the result of bad luck, but it appears so.

@Haudricourt

Stearns said illness is also a basis to go on DL, so, "We'd need to work through the severity of Chase's (illness). If Chase is not going to be able to pitch tomorrow, then his illness is probably going to last some time."

Sounds like they might use the DL to get the roster spot if Anderson doesn't recover quickly. Only realistic option to call up to start is Peralta, who was scratched from his start tonight in case that needs to happen.

Archived