Brewer Fanatic

Knebel activated/Saladino called up/Miley & Franklin 10-day DL

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have been a proponent of giving Orf a chance to play, but I don't want to oversell the guy. At this best, he will likely have limited value. He just doesn't have the skillset to make him anything special. He won't hit for power, he doesn't have game-changing speed, and his arm isn't great - which limits his ability to play SS.

He does offer a skillset that might - and I stress 'might' - help the team. He has generally be a consistent hitter - a solid batting average, a decent walk rate, and limited splits - meaning he could play full time.

Personally, I think the revolving door of 2B is just a mess. I'd rather give one guy the job and see how he can do.

If Orf got called him, he's probably likely to do poorly than do well. Actually, probably more likely to do poorly than do well. But it's not like all the other guys are lighting the world on fire. So I'm open to taking the risk.

The Brewers will avoid placing Dubon on the 60-day if they can. He would earn a major league paycheck and accrue service time if he's placed on the 60-day. He doesn't if he's on the minor league 7-day DL for the rest of the year.

i can't ever recall the brewers recalling an injured player (not to report) and putting him on the 60-day disabled list. johnny hellweg was a candidate a few years back, but the brewers never took advantage of such.

The Brewers will avoid placing Dubon on the 60-day if they can. He would earn a major league paycheck and accrue service time if he's placed on the 60-day. He doesn't if he's on the minor league 7-day DL for the rest of the year.

i can't ever recall the brewers recalling an injured player (not to report) and putting him on the 60-day disabled list. johnny hellweg was a candidate a few years back, but the brewers never took advantage of such.

Did we do something like this with Yhonathan Barrios? I don't think we recalled him, but we put him on the DL in Spring Training so we could have the extra roster spot?

Why would having another shortstop even be that big of an issue with Arcia, Perez and Villar already on the 25-man? Arcia is the everyday guy. Perez can sub when he needs a day off. Villar can serve as the emergency situation shortstop. Should be looking at offensive contribution way ahead of needing a fourth player that can play shortstop.

Villar can play SS nearly the same way Braun "can" play 3B

Awful comparison. Villar can competently play SS...not well, but lightyears better than Braun at 3B. If his bat was 2016 version scouts didn’t have much issue with Villar at SS.

Why would having another shortstop even be that big of an issue with Arcia, Perez and Villar already on the 25-man? Arcia is the everyday guy. Perez can sub when he needs a day off. Villar can serve as the emergency situation shortstop. Should be looking at offensive contribution way ahead of needing a fourth player that can play shortstop.

Villar can play SS nearly the same way Braun "can" play 3B

Awful comparison. Villar can competently play SS...not well, but lightyears better than Braun at 3B. If his bat was 2016 version scouts didn’t have much issue with Villar at SS.

Interesting enough that he started not hitting when being asked to flip positions. Might be a morning burger but ya never know. And I agree. Awful comparison.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Interesting enough that he started not hitting when being asked to flip positions. Might be a morning burger but ya never know. And I agree. Awful comparison.

Perhaps an extreme comparison, just saying there's a reason Villar hasn't appeared at SS since 2016.

Perhaps an extreme comparison, just saying there's a reason Villar hasn't appeared at SS since 2016.

Yeah I think it’s a mistake by the Brewers in doing so. When Arcia is out, he should be sliding over to short. Not inserting a bum like Sogard.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Would be a tough pill for the brewers to swallow to have a big chunk of Dubon's mlb service time eaten up by spending time on the mlb 60 day dl rehabbing an ACL surgery, too.

Why, do you expect him to be a star? Service time really only matters for guys who play to an All Star level or strongly outperform their positon's value. I've never seen anyone have that kind of crystal ball out on Dubon. We're talking about Mauricio Dubon here, not Kris Bryant. The chances of service time mattering for him are slim and none.

Would be a tough pill for the brewers to swallow to have a big chunk of Dubon's mlb service time eaten up by spending time on the mlb 60 day dl rehabbing an ACL surgery, too.

Why, do you expect him to be a star? Service time really only matters for guys who play to an All Star level or strongly outperform their positon's value. I've never seen anyone have that kind of crystal ball out on Dubon. We're talking about Mauricio Dubon here, not Kris Bryant. The chances of service time mattering for him are slim and none.

Fact he is a promising prospect is good enough for me. What if he does become a big time player (never know, baseball is all ifs) he just cost a year of control which impacts both time he could stay here along with trade value down road. Brewers really like him & outside of not walking at all, he was hitting both at home & on the road very well up to injury.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Verified Member

Did we do something like this with Yhonathan Barrios? I don't think we recalled him, but we put him on the DL in Spring Training so we could have the extra roster spot?

I think Barrios was hurt before he was optioned, so they didn't have a choice.

bork is correct. barrios was in major league camp and the injury occurred before being optioned. thus, barrios was essentially on the major league roster at the time of his injury.

when the injury occurs while optioned, the player can do on the minor league 7-day disabled list, and remain there indefinitely if need be.

Are there any teams that just bring the guy up to stash him on the 60?

There’s still plenty of dead weight on this 40 (Sogard, Franklin, Saladino) where I don’t think the spots are at that much of a premium, but I could see there being points in a 40 man roster crunch where you’re past the “Super 2” cutoff and the spot is more valuable than service days and a couple hundred grand.

Maybe you have extra millions of dollars laying around in your sock drawer, but service time matters to the Brewers. Basically, you are paying a player a year sooner than you would have had to. So year 3 of playing is first year of arby, instead of min. wage. Each year of arby is more pay. And you lose the player control a year earlier than you would have had to.

Since you think Dubon is not anything special, you might still want to take a look at what Perez ($1.975) and Villar ($2.55) are receiving their first year out of min. wage. Quite a jump from high $500Ks that players make the last year the team can keep them at min. wage.

I have been a proponent of giving Orf a chance to play, but I don't want to oversell the guy. At this best, he will likely have limited value. He just doesn't have the skillset to make him anything special. He won't hit for power, he doesn't have game-changing speed, and his arm isn't great - which limits his ability to play SS.

He does offer a skillset that might - and I stress 'might' - help the team. He has generally be a consistent hitter - a solid batting average, a decent walk rate, and limited splits - meaning he could play full time.

Personally, I think the revolving door of 2B is just a mess. I'd rather give one guy the job and see how he can do.

If Orf got called him, he's probably likely to do poorly than do well. Actually, probably more likely to do poorly than do well. But it's not like all the other guys are lighting the world on fire. So I'm open to taking the risk.

I agree that Orf is nothing special, but I think he's capable of something like a .700 OPS, which sadly would be a significant upgrade in the bottom of the lineup. He's also a guy who takes walks which this lineup also could use.

His defense is solid and he can play a number of other positions if it's needed. A Villar and Orf platoon at 2nd seems so obvious, I can't believe they haven't done it yet.

wade miley may be out 6 - 8 weeks. this prognosis may give the brewers the ability to transfer him to the 60-day disabled list to open up a roster spot (and miley would probably not have much of a case to appeal). miley can start a minor league rehab assignment while on the 60-day disabled list.

also, nick franklin may be out for at least two weeks, which means he'll be (in the eyes of many) wasting a 40-man roster spot beyond the 10 days that a disabled list affords.

Maybe you have extra millions of dollars laying around in your sock drawer, but service time matters to the Brewers. Basically, you are paying a player a year sooner than you would have had to. So year 3 of playing is first year of arby, instead of min. wage. Each year of arby is more pay. And you lose the player control a year earlier than you would have had to.

Since you think Dubon is not anything special, you might still want to take a look at what Perez ($1.975) and Villar ($2.55) are receiving their first year out of min. wage. Quite a jump from high $500Ks that players make the last year the team can keep them at min. wage.

Such a small market mentality...worry about everything for the sake of worrying about everything. I'm not telling you it doesn't matter, just that the likelihood of it mattering with this player is slim and none. Look, in retrospect, teams throw away millions all the time. Every one of them. If he costs us $2M more one year earlier, do you really believe that will be the difference between winning a championship and not winning a championship? Will that be the $2M that cripples the franchise? And when was the last time we started the service clock on someone where it really, really came back to bite us in the a$$? It doesn't matter nearly as much as you think and that's a fact based on history.

wade miley may be out 6 - 8 weeks. this prognosis may give the brewers the ability to transfer him to the 60-day disabled list to open up a roster spot (and miley would probably not have much of a case to appeal). miley can start a minor league rehab assignment while on the 60-day disabled list.

and, that's what happened today. fortunate for the brewers and their roster flexibility.

• 5 weeks later...
I look forward to the day that Franklin is DFA'd again.

when could this happen? it would save the brewers money. they're paying him a major league salary right now, and he's taking up a 40-man roster spot. apparently, he's been rehabbing in arizona for quite some time, but apparently isn't healthy enough to start a minor league rehab assignment.

franklin was placed on the disabled list 9 may, so a move to the 60-day disabled list could be happening.

simulated game for wade miley tomorrow and if all goes well, he should start a rehab assignment later this week. brewers can wait until at least 9 july before making a decision on activating him.

Actually the Brewers would have longer to decide.

Rehab assignments for position players can run up to 20 days.

Rehab assignments for pitchers can run up to 30 days..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived