Brewer Fanatic

Knebel activated/Saladino called up/Miley & Franklin 10-day DL

Knebel reinstated from 10-day DL

Saladino recalled from AAA Colorado Springs

Miley placed on 10-day DL (right oblique strain)

Franklin placed on 10-day DL (right quad strain)

I get that Saladino is on the 40-man and has ML experience but does experience really matter if you have a career line of .231/.281/.330? Orf was at SS last night so maybe they are testing his versatility...

Why would having another shortstop even be that big of an issue with Arcia, Perez and Villar already on the 25-man? Arcia is the everyday guy. Perez can sub when he needs a day off. Villar can serve as the emergency situation shortstop. Should be looking at offensive contribution way ahead of needing a fourth player that can play shortstop.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why would having another shortstop even be that big of an issue with Arcia, Perez and Villar already on the 25-man? Arcia is the everyday guy. Perez can sub when he needs a day off. Villar can serve as the emergency situation shortstop. Should be looking at offensive contribution way ahead of needing a fourth player that can play shortstop.

Villar can play SS nearly the same way Braun "can" play 3B

Saladino is a plus defender at 2B, SS, and 3B - if he actually gets used in the role the backup MIF should be used on a 25-man roster (late inning defensive replacement, occasional spot start to give an everyday player the day off), then he's a better option in that role than just about anyone else the Brewers have because the focus of that role should be defense. Frankly he should've been the callup over Franklin yesterday if they aren't comfortable with Orf. However, if CC wants to give him 3-5 starts a week like he did with Sogard at 2nd / SS and take away consistent playing time from Arcia and Villar, then I'd rather have Orf up.

Villar can play SS nearly the same way Braun "can" play 3B

That's why I said Villar is an emergency situation shortstop.

Saladino is a plus defender at 2B, SS, and 3B - if he actually gets used in the role the backup MIF should be used on a 25-man roster (late inning defensive replacement, occasional spot start to give an everyday player the day off), then he's a better option in that role than just about anyone else the Brewers have because the focus of that role should be defense.

That theory assumes that the starters at the MIF positions are actually doing something with the bat. Last thing the lineup needs is another guy that makes too many outs.

Saladino is a plus defender at 2B, SS, and 3B - if he actually gets used in the role the backup MIF should be used on a 25-man roster (late inning defensive replacement, occasional spot start to give an everyday player the day off), then he's a better option in that role than just about anyone else the Brewers have because the focus of that role should be defense.

That theory assumes that the starters at the MIF positions are actually doing something with the bat. Last thing the lineup needs is another guy that makes too many outs.

That's not Saladino's problem - that's on Brewers' management for not having better everyday options internally to begin with. And it's also on the rest of the everyday position players currently underperforming offensively (Shaw, Braun, Cain recently, Pina, Santana) to take some pressure off the need for middle infielders to start raking. Having to speculate whether Orf or Saladino is the best fit for what this team currently needs basically means there are no good internal options right now.

Nate Orf is the obvious call up here.... Feel for the kid. Keep grinding Nate!

They are starting to run into a roster crunch situation on the 40-man, which is why I believe Saladino got the call over Orf. With Franklin hurt, they can't DFA him, and because his injury wasn't extensive, they can't 60-day DL him. They are forced to carry him on the 40-man. I suppose they could have just DFA'd Saladino or Sogard, but the roster maneuvering became much more difficult with Franklin's injury.

No one would care about Saladino's bat if the rest of the offense was playing how it's supposed to. If they want offense out of 2B they might as well give Rickie Weeks a call. Maybe he has some Miller Park magic left. I'm kidding but he can't be worse.

So I guess the only way Orf gets the call is if Saladino gets a hernia from lifting his suitcase. You know this has got to undercut Orf's confidence. All he has done is exceed expectations at every level and still gets ZERO respect. To perform like he has and still get passed over TWICE in favor of castoffs from other clubs is sickening!!

So I guess the only way Orf gets the call is if Saladino gets a hernia from lifting his suitcase. You know this has got to undercut Orf's confidence. All he has done is exceed expectations at every level and still gets ZERO respect. To perform like he has and still get passed over TWICE in favor of castoffs from other clubs is sickening!!

Again, it's probably got just as much to do with Orf not being on the 40 man and the current pinch they're in - I'd just as soon DFA Sogard and have Orf take his spot on the 40 man, but apparently the Brewers don't want that.

Choi and Bethancourt should be up. I get the Orf love affair, but I will trust they know everything about him, and just don't think he's worth putting on the 40 man. He doesn't "deserve" to get called up, nobody does.

Choi at least could provide a LH bat, and handle some starts at 1B. Bethancourt over Bandy is simply worth trying at this point, why not. He's better defensively than Bandy, and it would be hard to be worse at the plate.

And little Nate Orf spends another night crying into the shoulder of ragged and worn teddy bear.

I think there are just so many moving parts right now that Stearns probably doesn't want to put Orf on the 40 man roster, and then something else happens.

As it is, Dubon is going to take up a spot on the 40 man, as they won't put him on the 60 day DL list.

Keep hitting Orf, and by the end of the month the picture will have cleared up.

I wouldn't really call a .773 OPS at A+ and a .707 collective OPS at AA "exceeding expectations" for a guy that was 24, 25, and 26 years old at those levels.

If Orf was in the majors at those ages like Franklin, Saladino, Sogard, etc., it's possible that he'd be at Ivan De Jesus status of toiling away in AAA and never expected to see the majors again for eternity (with nobody taking issue with it).

And little Nate Orf spends another night crying into the shoulder of ragged and worn teddy bear.

I think there are just so many moving parts right now that Stearns probably doesn't want to put Orf on the 40 man roster, and then something else happens.

As it is, Dubon is going to take up a spot on the 40 man, as they won't put him on the 60 day DL list.

I think you mean Franklin here.

But that brings up a good point. Dubon is on the 40-man, and will likely be placed on the 60-day DL, opening up a 40-man spot for someone.

I think you mean Franklin here.

But that brings up a good point. Dubon is on the 40-man, and will likely be placed on the 60-day DL, opening up a 40-man spot for someone.

He won’t though unfortunately because they would have to promote him to MLB and pay him a MLB salary to do that and they won’t do it. Same situation with Houser last year.

I wouldn't really call a .773 OPS at A+ and a .707 collective OPS at AA "exceeding expectations" for a guy that was 24, 25, and 26 years old at those levels.

If Orf was in the majors at those ages like Franklin, Saladino, Sogard, etc., it's possible that he'd be at Ivan De Jesus status of toiling away in AAA and never expected to see the majors again for eternity (with nobody taking issue with it).

Considering he wasn't even drafted, yeah I would say he has exceeded expectations!

Considering he wasn't even drafted, yeah I would say he has exceeded expectations!

Sure, expectations for him and not of an MLB player. Orf may be next up and just in waiting due to 40 man constraints currently, but he has been repeatedly passed up by every other team in the rule 5 and by the Brewers to call up. It's possible that all of the baseball people are wrong, but there seems to be something that they don't like over the interested fan seeing a try-hard/professional hitting older prospect with inflated Colorado Springs numbers that fans generally seem to fall in love with.

Archived