Brewer Fanatic

Fixing 2B/C

I am much more concerned about Orlando Arcia than Villar, or even catcher. He really is not progressing at all at the plate, and maybe even getting worse. Not saying throw him to the wolves, but i'm at a solid 7 on the concern scale right now.

100% agree on this.

Yes, he is young.

Yes, he is typicallya whiz with the glove.

It just feels like he should be progressing with the bat, but isn't. He was hitting .209 yesterday or the day before. We can't have a guy hitting .200 in the daliy line-up forever.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando Arcia has found a way to consistently suck more and more every passing day. His OPS is approaching .500. Sucks Dubon got hurt. A couple more weeks and I would have given him a shot at the starting gig. This is just getting ridiculous.

At this point there should be no concern about Villar as it stands. That could change, but he is fine right now.

You folks realize Villar is batting 300 right?

And his OPS this year is now higher than Brian Dozier (.725 vs .705 prior to today's game).

I don't get the arguments for Dozier. I've seen plenty of his career over here and he is a strikeout prone bat that gets hot for a couple months a season. You have to pray its for August and September and not April and May though because it carries you. The Twins likely have an outrageous valuation on him because he's their face, so i'd stay far far away.

Community Moderator

Tyler Saladino says hello...

Saladino actually managed to be WORSE last year in 253 AB's than Arcia has been so far this year, amazingly, with a .484 OPS. I love that he's been productive in his time here so far, but he's not even a stop-gap solution if Arcia doesn't figure it out offensively.

There's not a lot but you might be able to get like a Freddy Galvis or a Miguel Rojas (probably more expensive with a few years of team control). Neither of them are good but they're upgrades over Arcia currently.

Miguel Rojas is also having a career year already hitting 7x more HRs than he has ever done so in a season before. Actually has almost doubled his career total.

Probably a hard one to pry away at this point unless you pony up and bet on his improvements.

Tyler Saladino says hello...

Saladino actually managed to be WORSE last year in 253 AB's than Arcia has been so far this year, amazingly, with a .484 OPS. I love that he's been productive in his time here so far, but he's not even a stop-gap solution if Arcia doesn't figure it out offensively.

Last season was an outlier for Saladino, and was the result of the White Sox taking away the leg kick in his swing. When the Brewers picked him up, they put the leg kick back in.

Saladino's 2016 season, when he had an OPS over 700 at age 26, is probably an accurate look of his offensive ability. He's also a tremendous defender, and more than worthy of being a MLB utility player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If the Brewers decide they need a second baseman, and if they go for a rental at that spot, there are some potential options out there, depending on which teams stay in the hunt, etc.

Free agents at season's end ....

Asdrubal Cabrera

Brian Dozier

DJ Lemahieu

Jed Lowrie

Some of the teams those players are on are likely to at least be on the fringe of the race at the deadline, and it's possible a couple of them are willing to make a qualifying offer and either keep their player or get the draft pick for losing them, but at least there some solid maybes at that position.

Jonathan Villar:

.279/.348/.426 .774 OPS

Good luck improving on that or even feeling the need to. The power has been there the last month and his BA/OBP split has ended up way closer to what I think Villar is actually capable of.

Jonathan Villar:

.279/.348/.426 .774 OPS

Good luck improving on that or even feeling the need to. The power has been there the last month and his BA/OBP split has ended up way closer to what I think Villar is actually capable of.

Those aren't his numbers. Not sure where you are getting that. He's at. 280/.331/.387/.718

Jonathan Villar:

.279/.348/.426 .774 OPS

Those aren't his numbers. Not sure where you are getting that. He's at. 280/.331/.387/.718

Maybe those were May stats a couple days ago. Currently in May he's rocking over 800 OPS, and right now he's probably playing the best he has since 2016.

Also, how many times over the last 2 weeks have you thought "what the heck are you doing Villar?!?" during a game? I can't recall him making a complete blunder lately.

Last season was an outlier for Saladino, and was the result of the White Sox taking away the leg kick in his swing. When the Brewers picked him up, they put the leg kick back in.

I think this is a good point. While I don't believe the Brewers told him to revert to his leg kick, I am sure Saladino wasn't happy with his teams insistence on removing the leg kick and the subsequent performance drop. When he changed teams he felt he could return to what he felt comfortable with. Teams want players who will take suggestions and adjust their approach, but teams should also want players to communicate back whether they feel comfortable with the new approach (especially when performance tanks).

Jonathan Villar:

.279/.348/.426 .774 OPS

Villar’s last 28 days. Don’t know how I left that out.

Regarding the lack of blunders mentioned by someone else I think the Brewers have changed something. I think before they encouraged him to be wrecklessly aggressive and now he is strictly told to follow the signs he gets.

His defense has actually been pleasantly good. Even Fangraphs has him positive on defense.

Archived