Brewer Fanatic

Fixing 2B/C

Had Gennett been able to play any other position than 2B, he wouldn't have gotten waived at the end of last year's Spring Training. It basically came down to him or Perez for the MLB roster, and Perez's versatility won the Brewers over at the time - particularly because their roster really needed someone to cover multiple positions due to lack of proven depth. Much has been made about comparing Villar to Gennett since Scooter was released, but at the time the move was made nobody questioned the decision for Villar to be the Brewers' opening day 2B in 2017. There was no contest in who was the more valued player following the 2016 season.

Good for Scooter to take full advantage of his opportunity in Cincy and earn himself a nice, long MLB career that appears to be on the verge of a nice FA payday a few offseasons from now. The other thing that needs to be considered with him is he's been given the luxury of putting up #'s for a dumpster fire of a team with no immediate plans on winning. In fact he's never really been on a team that had any pressure to win and make a postseason push - closest he came was that 2014 Brewers season where they just cratered from mid-August to season's end when it counted most.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had Gennett been able to play any other position than 2B, he wouldn't have gotten waived at the end of last year's Spring Training. It basically came down to him or Perez for the MLB roster, and Perez's versatility won the Brewers over at the time - particularly because their roster really needed someone to cover multiple positions due to lack of proven depth. Much has been made about comparing Villar to Gennett since Scooter was released, but at the time the move was made nobody questioned the decision for Villar to be the Brewers' opening day 2B in 2017. There was no contest in who was the more valued player following the 2016 season.

Good for Scooter to take full advantage of his opportunity in Cincy and earn himself a nice, long MLB career that appears to be on the verge of a nice FA payday a few offseasons from now. The other thing that needs to be considered with him is he's been given the luxury of putting up #'s for a dumpster fire of a team with no immediate plans on winning. In fact he's never really been on a team that had any pressure to win and make a postseason push - closest he came was that 2014 Brewers season where they just cratered from mid-August to season's end when it counted most.

Gennett is a solid player, but he isn't really a first division regular. He's much better suited being one of the better hitters on a 2nd division team than batting 7th or 8th and playing average defense on a contender.

I'm happy for Scooter to be doing well. Good for him, hope he can make himself a nice chunk of money. But anyone that claims they saw this coming is just full of it. Also, I'd gladly take him back if the price wasn't high. with a jack of all trades utility guy like Perez it could allow for a no flex guy like him. Plus, he'd be playing every game vs a righty so reduces your need for bench players to play (vs now when you're rotating every day it seems)

Gennett is a solid player, but he isn't really a first division regular. He's much better suited being one of the better hitters on a 2nd division team than batting 7th or 8th and playing average defense on a contender.

...but still better than anything we are trotting out there.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Villar is just heating up. He’s gonna put on a show the rest of the season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can't tell if you are totally joking, half serious hoping, or dead serious. But he had a nice night last night. I still agree with you that he's the best option of those currently on the roster to play 2nd (and contrary to popular belief his defense is not that bad).

Why he was totally benched for mediocre players on a team that regularly rotates guys in and out remains a mystery to me.

I can't tell if you are totally joking, half serious hoping, or dead serious. But he had a nice night last night. I still agree with you that he's the best option of those currently on the roster to play 2nd (and contrary to popular belief his defense is not that bad).

Why he was totally benched for mediocre players on a team that regularly rotates guys in and out remains a mystery to me.

Depending how the next week to month goes, I’ll let you know. :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I apologize in advance for patting myself on the back a little, but I wanted to trade Villar for the best offer possible after his amazing 2016 season and keep Scooter. It wasn't even about liking Scooter though; I was just in "asset management" mode. I figured Villar's value would never be that high again and Scooter's would never be that low.

I've no right to brag for guessing right in that particular situation, but I do think the asset management principle (as opposed to what you think of Scooter or Villar) is the real story because it will guide you to the right choice more often than not.

With Vogt going down , are there any left handed hitting catchers worth a ....?

What about Raffy Lopez from San Diego at catcher? I don't know a ton about him but he is a former Cubs 16th round draft pick. He is 30 years old and won't be a free agent until 2024. In 8 minor league seasons (over 2,000PA) he carried a .275/.358/.416/.774 slash line. He is a left-handed bat that could replace Vogt from that side of the plate.

Right now he has an overall OPS of .762 in the majors but his slash line against RHP's is .261/.370/.522/.892 (Small sample alert, only 23 AB's) but his 2017 split against RHP is .256/.340/.558/.898 (43 AB's). His minor league split this year is .271/.358/.644/1.002 (59 AB's) and last year was .306/.379/.561/.939 (157 AB's).

With Vogt going down , are there any left handed hitting catchers worth a ....?

What about Raffy Lopez from San Diego at catcher? I don't know a ton about him but he is a former Cubs 16th round draft pick. He is 30 years old and won't be a free agent until 2024. In 8 minor league seasons (over 2,000PA) he carried a .275/.358/.416/.774 slash line. He is a left-handed bat that could replace Vogt from that side of the plate.

Right now he has an overall OPS of .762 in the majors but his slash line against RHP's is .261/.370/.522/.892 (Small sample alert, only 23 AB's) but his 2017 split against RHP is .256/.340/.558/.898 (43 AB's). His minor league split this year is .271/.358/.644/1.002 (59 AB's) and last year was .306/.379/.561/.939 (157 AB's).[/quote

Sounds like a low risk, low cost answer to backup catcher.

Wonder if the Padres would want Jett Bandy + a real low level prospect in return for Raffy Lopez.

When does Stearns pull the trigger on a deal? The NL is wide open this year.

Well right now he's seen Pina and Villar come out of their slumber and their new addition in Saldino look like Cal Ripken Jr. so there is a pretty good chance he rides it out a bit longer. Even though I still say we should target Raffy Lopez to get a lefty bat to pair with Pina.

Or we trade them villar or perez which allows us to swoop in, maybe.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

You folks realize Villar is batting 300 right?

To date, his lowest average day (After April 10) for his stat line is .264/.290/.318

his highest average day (After April 10) for his stat line is .302/.341/.385

If he could stay between those two lines the rest of the year , our second base situation would be solved. A line of .280/.315/.350 is acceptable. Just get on base, be smart when on base, and show a little power and everything else will fall in place.

Once Villar gets the full time nod at 2B, I think we are fine there. It appears that CC is finally coming around.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I am much more concerned about Orlando Arcia than Villar, or even catcher. He really is not progressing at all at the plate, and maybe even getting worse. Not saying throw him to the wolves, but i'm at a solid 7 on the concern scale right now.

Archived