Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-09: Indians (Carrasco) at Brewers (Guerra) 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-2; Knebel makes his return]

Eye Black
Million dollar question, did Stearns want to continue rebuilding or did Mark A want to move the needle more to the "compete" side of the dial? Just knowing Mark A, I would bet he wanted to compete this year, without giving up too many prospects/ money. (Not all-in.) So many of us recognized last season as fool's gold, I just have to believe Stearns knew it too.

No, this is Stearns. As I said before, I have no idea why he had to have Shaw in the Thornburg trade or Anderson in the Segura trade. You get those guys when you're ready to contend and have holes to fill, not in the middle of a rebuild.

Agreed, but I can still see Mark A saying he didn't want to tear it down to a 58 win team. He just strikes me as an Owner who always wants a team who is at least decent every year. And in that context, trading for guys like Shaw make sense. Bringing in Thames, Chacin, etc. makes sense.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Million dollar question, did Stearns want to continue rebuilding or did Mark A want to move the needle more to the "compete" side of the dial? Just knowing Mark A, I would bet he wanted to compete this year, without giving up too many prospects/ money. (Not all-in.) So many of us recognized last season as fool's gold, I just have to believe Stearns knew it too.

No, this is Stearns. As I said before, I have no idea why he had to have Shaw in the Thornburg trade or Anderson in the Segura trade. You get those guys when you're ready to contend and have holes to fill, not in the middle of a rebuild.

It's hard to know specifically what prospects Boston was willing to give up for Thornburg. Also Anderson wasn't very highly regarded when we acquired them. Both players have significantly increased their stock since coming to the Brewers. Those are very poor examples you are using to try and prove your point.

Stearns didn't get Anderson. That trade was like 5 years ago.

I think he would say he went for the deal that he thought provided the best value rather than targeting specific players. He analyzed Shaw as an underrated player and was right. If our pitching was terrible and we were no where near competing, we would have Shaw as a very attractive trade piece.

The stage both Anderson and Shaw were at in their careers when they were dealt to Milwaukee made them far from what a contending team looks to acquire to fill MLB roster holes, so this argument is pretty foolish. After outperforming what their expectations were, maybe now the both fit the profile of an everyday corner IF or mid-rotation starter that won't kill a good team...but that wasn't Shaw in early 2017 or Anderson in early 2016.

both were MLB-ready players with relatively low ceilings at positions where the Brewers needed roster filler as part of anticipated rebuilding seasons, and both trades included younger prospects that at the time appeared to have higher MLB ceilings attached to them that were widely viewed as the centerpieces of those trades (Dubon, Pennington, and Diaz). I'd argue both Shaw and Anderson vastly outperformed expectations and contributed to the team outperforming as well in 2017.

Verified Member
both were MLB-ready players with relatively low ceilings at positions where the Brewers needed roster filler as part of anticipated rebuilding seasons,

You don't get those guys in trades for your valuable trade pieces. That's where you sign scrubs like Nieuwenhuis types to fill that spot until a prospect or someone comes along.

both were MLB-ready players with relatively low ceilings at positions where the Brewers needed roster filler as part of anticipated rebuilding seasons,

You don't get those guys in trades for your valuable trade pieces. That's where you sign scrubs like Nieuwenhuis types to fill that spot until a prospect or someone comes along.

Yes you do. There’s nothing stopping us from trying to win right now and in the future. Shaw and Anderson can both be used for other players in the gutter AND they can help us win right now. You just don’t like that type of an approach but it definitely can be done. I for one am glad they are going this route.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I swear some of you would be happy if every time a guy had a good year they would trade him.....a perpetual rebuilding process.......never win but boy look at our prospects!

I noticed when Shaw was great last season and the Brewers were contending the criticism went silent.....now it's back again....even though we are struggling but still 5 games over .500 ......

Getting Shaw, Dubon and Pennington for TT was a fantastic trade......TT has been hurt and we have prospects and an every day third basemen who,is cheap and will bring value if we choose to move him.in the future.

This whining is tiresome.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I swear some of you would be happy if every time a guy had a good year they would trade him.....a perpetual rebuilding process.......never win but boy look at our prospects!

I noticed when Shaw was great last season and the Brewers were contending the criticism went silent.....now it's back again....even though we are struggling but still 5 games over .500 ......

Getting Shaw, Dubon and Pennington for TT was a fantastic trade......TT has been hurt and we have prospects and an every day third basemen who,is cheap and will bring value if we choose to move him.in the future.

This whining is tiresome.

This. 100% this. No MLB team operates this way. No team ever will. Because you still gotta put butts in seats.

Valuable trade pieces?? What more do you want for Segura following his 2015 season, who at the time had about half of one quality mlb season followed by 2 plus seasons of bad as a Brewer with arbitration on the way, and TT who has proven to be damaged goods and had his share of arm issues as a brewer leading up to his one good year?

I had so much hope for Brett Phillips. He is so young and talented. But he looks so overmatched at the ML level. The approach most of these hitters take is horrid.

It's like the young guys become completely different hitters after leaving Colorado Springs, and vets forget everything they've done playing for other organizations. "We're Brewers! Swing for the fences or bust!"

I'm willing to give Phillips - or anyone for that matter who gets shuffled back and forth between the majors and AAA and doesn't get regular ABs - a pass.

Wholly agree with your thought that Coles falls on the sword. Someone has to, and at this point it's a lot easier to switch coaches than switch players. Most of the guys who are doing bad now have done much better in the past, so there's reason to believe the players can do better.

Archived