Brewer Fanatic

Sogard optioned to AAA.....Nick Franklin contract purchased...Vogt to 60 day DL [Update: Franklin leaves 1st game w/injury]

They release Franklin last year because he couldn't play, and now he's back despite the same middle infielders he couldn't beat out last year still on the roster. Makes no sense other than a desperation heave.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the plan is to go with Villar most of the time, fine. Maybe they'd rather Orf keep getting regular ABs for a potential call-up later?

That said, startinf Franklin and hitting him sixth seems a little nutty. This kind of player isn't horrible as a 25th man, but 4 starts in a row for these types is just odd. I am struggling to grasp the logic...

Stearns said they chose Frankiln over Orf because he can hit left handed. Well whoop dee doo.

As a LHB vs RHP he has a career OBP of .293 and OPS of .685

There has to be another anticipated move soon that would entail DFA Franklin and he's here for just a couple of days. That's the only sense I see in bringing him up. I mean, Orf played a little OF last year and they said he looked surprisingly good, but this other anticipated move would require DFA Orf and they don't want to lose him.

I am stunned...STUNNED that Nick Franklin is back in Milwaukee. I was so excited when he was cut loose last year and I am legit depressed that he's back. Unreal.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Community Moderator
I have trouble getting worked up about replacement-level roulette. Most MLB teams are starting multiple sub-.220 hitters these days. No big deal.

I am stunned...STUNNED that Nick Franklin is back in Milwaukee. I was so excited when he was cut loose last year and I am legit depressed that he's back. Unreal.

This. The happiness I had with Sogard being sent down was completely lost (and then some) when the returning player was Franklin.

He was last year's Sogard for me. A guy that was on the roster WAY longer than he should have been, for no apparent reason. This move is seriously baffling. Stearns explanation makes it even worse quite honestly. And to keep Villar on the bench even longer for no apparently reason...WHY?

I think I'm most shocked that sogard still has options. At least we don't have to wait to see who will replace sogard as the whipping boy.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I have trouble getting worked up about replacement-level roulette. Most MLB teams are starting multiple sub-.220 hitters these days. No big deal.

This is the one I agree with. I would like to see them give Orf a shot, but I don't think this is much different. As long as it gets Villar out of the lineup, it's not a bad thing.

And I can't believe he's starting tonight and BATTING 6TH! Yikes, what the heck is Counsell doing?? How much does he hate Villar?

This, this, this.

Having a Franklin/Sogard type on the roster is no big deal. Having that player start for a week is bad, especially when there are better options available. Villar just is a better option, especially as a bottom of the order hitter with an OBP around .330.

The amount of money wasted on Vogt and Sogard has me beginning to question Stearns. What an absolute waste of resources when a better player, Walker, was just sitting around all winter and spring. Terrible.

I get that he maybe could've cut the cord in Spring Training when it looked like 4-6 weeks for Vogt, but are you blaming Stearns for signing a guy that got hurt?

Sogard is fair, though not much else is out there and I'm not sure what else we'd have done given what Walker is doing.

The amount of money wasted on Vogt and Sogard has me beginning to question Stearns. What an absolute waste of resources when a better player, Walker, was just sitting around all winter and spring. Terrible.

Walker has been marginally better than Sogard this year

.189/.282/222

Yeah it’s well known that he has had a poor start but it probably isn’t the indication that he’s now a terrible hitter considering how steady he’s been his entire career.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

And I can't believe he's starting tonight and BATTING 6TH! Yikes, what the heck is Counsell doing?? How much does he hate Villar?

This, this, this.

Having a Franklin/Sogard type on the roster is no big deal. Having that player start for a week is bad, especially when there are better options available. Villar just is a better option, especially as a bottom of the order hitter with an OBP around .330.

I'm all for just letting it ride with Villar and having him start for a week.

That said:

Villar, career, vs. RHP: .256/.326/.383/.709

Franklin, career, vs. RHP: .223/.293/.392/.685

Not a major deal/difference.

This, this, this.

To me it is a big deal. We have a 2B tearing up AAA. I’m not saying he would be better but he should at least have gotten a shot to find out. Nick Franklin is a known quantity, and not a good one. When we discussed depth this last off-season we kept saying “at least we don’t have to carry a Nick Franklin anymore.” Hilariously, now we are.

Just a baffling move. I didn’t think a Sogard promotion could disappoint me but they pulled it off.

I really can't believe we have another Nick Franklin sighting. Shocked, thought we'd get to see a young guy

I don't understand this move. I can only assume that the Brewers will trade for Kirk Nieuwenhuis if the is an injury to an outfielder.

I really can't believe we have another Nick Franklin sighting. Shocked, thought we'd get to see a young guy

I don't understand this move. I can only assume that the Brewers will trade for Kirk Nieuwenhuis if the is an injury to an outfielder.

And if Arcia goes down, bring back Yuni B!!!

And with all the depth this year, if you're going to carry this guy. He literally should never start. I see an argument of wanting the young guy playing every day in the minors. So you'd rather this guy be the 25th man, fine whatever, but don't fricking start him.

That said, he'll have two hits tonight.

This move and the endless Sogard Saga were all made to make us appreciate the next move Stearns will make in a few days.... Activating Counsell as player/manager...

This just shows you why David Stearns is the GM and we are just all wanna bees... While we were throwing out outrageous suggestions he was ticking all the boxes:

Veteran Grit.... Check

Hits Left Handed... Check

Is currently part of the Brewers organization and won't cost a dime to acquire... Check

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

And if Arcia goes down, bring back Yuni B!!!

And I play 2B, 3B, 1B as well as SS.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

Archived