Brewer Fanatic

Sogard optioned to AAA.....Nick Franklin contract purchased...Vogt to 60 day DL [Update: Franklin leaves 1st game w/injury]

The contract of INF/OF Nick Franklin has been selected from Double-A @BiloxiShuckers. INF Eric Sogard has been optioned to Triple-A @skysox. C Stephen Vogt has been transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So they replaced Sogard with a switch hitting Sogard?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This one is flat out baffling. Nick Franklin was pretty awful before. He hasn't been crushing it in AA and still somehow gets called up before Orf? Why?

Neither was on the 40 man, so that's not a viable reason.

I'm not a huge Orf fan as I've been littering these threads with a "but Colorado Springs" agenda, but I would have to think you give him the call at some point?

It seems fairly clear I guess that team personnel/scouts don't think he translates to the MLB at all. That has to be it.

I'm not a huge Orf fan as I've been littering these threads with a "but Colorado Springs" agenda, but I would have to think you give him the call at some point?

It seems fairly clear I guess that team personnel/scouts don't think he translates to the MLB at all. That has to be it.

And Franklin somehow does? I just don't see that.

:laughing It is amazing that some guys get a cat's life in the MLB while there are some that can never seem to break through, no matter what they do.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

More I thought about it Choi would have made sense. Aguilar is best when used in his role- against LHP. Choi could have manned 1B vs RHP until Thames comes back, with maybe a few more starts from either Braun/Aguilar vs RHP.

At least there's a chance for decent production there. Franklin is redundant, and not in a good way. Villar and Perez can play SS in a pinch. I'm so sick of these Walsh/Sogard/Franklin type guys.

And Franklin somehow does? I just don't see that.

As much as I think this is as stupid as just about everyone, I'm going to leave Franklins split vs RHP so far this season in AA. 326/423/535 with 8 bb to 2 ks. Let's see how that left handed swing handles kluber.

I went and checked out of curiosity if maybe he had really good numbers against Kluber or Carrasco or something...0 for 9 combined between the two...though he is 2 for 3 career against Drake.

Shouldn't Villar be the LH option at 2b...?

Not sure why MLB experience is relevant when you were pretty awful the entire time. That's simply not a reason to leave a guy that deserves a shot in AAA.

How do you fix a flatlined offense..... add more dead bats to the mix. Dubon's injury came at worst possible time! He is probably one called up if not for the ACL 2 days ago......

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

The amount of money wasted on Vogt and Sogard has me beginning to question Stearns. What an absolute waste of resources when a better player, Walker, was just sitting around all winter and spring. Terrible.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is awful. Demote Sogard to bring up an even worse Sogard. Also, it's obvious their "plan" is to "get Sogard going again." Which means Sogard will put up some decent numbers for a week or two because he's playing in Colorado Springs, and he'll be right back up.

Just frustrates the crap out of me. There is no way they can believe this move is giving the team the best opportunity to win. If they really do believe that, I'm concerned.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The amount of money wasted on Vogt and Sogard has me beginning to question Stearns. What an absolute waste of resources when a better player, Walker, was just sitting around all winter and spring. Terrible.

Walker has been marginally better than Sogard this year

.189/.282/222

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived