Brewer Fanatic

2B: Villar/Sogard/Perez

rickh150
We're not privy to all that goes on behind the scenes. It could be they just want Villar to make an adjustment and he's resisting it. There could be a deal in the works. Maybe they think Villar has not been a good influence on Arcia. It could simply be that behind the scenes Perez is the leader of the Venezuelan players and they want the team leaders on the field.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don’t care who plays second as long as they do a good job. If that’s Perez, perfectly fine with that. If it gets back to Villar, good there too. We just need productive at bats from the bottom of the order because as we can see, we can actually score some runs when they’re getting on base.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

All that said, I'm still flummoxed why villar is on the outs - would be good to get the full story from the manager at some point. Has to be something aside from on field performance, maybe it's the fact he appears to be "baseball stupid" with some of the in game decisions he makes with taking extra bases or steal attempts. Whether you like or dislike him as a player, his stats this season during sporadic playing time while also being shuffled around the order aren't terrible.

It's on field performance. 635 OPS despite an unsustainable babip, and bad defense. He's not good.

It's also his terrible approach at the plate and horrendous baserunning, he's a strikeout and groundball machine who rarely walks anymore. Kudos to Counsell for not putting up with it.

Let's pump the brakes on Perez a bit. Yes he's had a nice 2 games, but it's 2 games. He is still exactly the same player he has always been who will hit around .260 and carry an OBP not much higher than that because he can't draw a walk to save his life.

My point, by all means keep him in as long as he's swinging a good bat, but if he's your starter at 2nd you're definitely always in the market for a starting 2nd baseman.

Just put Braun there and be done with it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe we can see what the Reds would take for their 2B?

We could probably trade them Villar straight up as they would take the salary relief. I would then fully expect Villar, within 6 months, to be playing like an all-star.

Maybe we can see what the Reds would take for their 2B?

We could probably trade them Villar straight up as they would take the salary relief. I would then fully expect Villar, within 6 months, to be playing like an all-star.

Lol probably.

Wow. I hadn't realized how amazing Scooter has been since we straight up cut him with nothing in return. All so we would have room on the roster for Perez? What a huge blunder that was in retrospect. Imagine how good we would be with Gennett right now!

Oh well though, not much to be done at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Who's to say that Scooter would replicate exactly what he is doing now if he stayed? Often a change of scenery is what was needed; or perhaps a different batting coach and approach. His last two years here were pretty bad and we were looking to upgrade.

So I'm not sure why this has to keep coming up. Yes, it would be nice if he was hitting 850+ OPS for us the last couple years, but he wasn't and now he isn't. Rather than reliving that decision over and over, maybe we should focus on how to make our current one better...

Sogard hitting a buck twenty five for the Sky Sox. I thought they basically just start you at .300 in Colorado Springs and add a tick for every hit after that.

Struggling is struggling. It can, and often does, carry over regardless of level. When he came up and hit well last year it was after he was hitting in AAA. Good news is Saladino is looking like a nice pickup. He was really pretty good in 2016 for the White Sox, but never got it going last year. If they get the 2016 version, he's a factor and he can pick it too.

It's Colorado, of course, but Saladino looked like a guy who could be a solid MLB contributor for the year, so that was nice to see.

I do hope eventually we settle into to someone getting the bulk of starts at 2B. This different guy every day thing has to be tough on everyone.

Amazing how quickly people get high or down on players here. Saladino has one 2 hit day and I've already seen him propped up as a possible answer at 2B for 2018 in multiple places. Two weeks from now there is a high probability his numbers will have settled in around his career averages. This is a .232 career hitter with a .281 OBP and .610 OPS and a 4/1 K/BB ratio. Eric Sogard beats him in every category. Neither should ever be counted on or even be proposed as an answer.

Let's pump the brakes on Tyler Saladino just a little bit.

Saladino's just fine as a 1 to maybe 2 start per week option to back up 2B, SS, and 3B...he's much better defensively than Sogard, so in no way should the Brewers need Eric again. Arcia and Shaw need to essentially be everyday players, while I'm open to some sort of a platoon between Villar and Perez at 2B until they can find a better option via trade if they are so inclined.

IMO Saladino's best value to the Brewers is him in Milwaukee prevents Sogard from being here, which would prompt CC to find 3-4 starts a week for him again.

[sarcasm]But Saldino doesn't bat left-handed.[/sarcasm]

Archived