Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-06: Pirates (Kuhl) at Brewers (Anderson) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 9-0]

Eye Black
I honestly still have no idea what to expect from this team, but I could definitely understand if we aren't really respected or taken seriously on a national level right now. Our performance against any team that doesn't resemble a complete bottom feeder has ranged from anywhere between uninspiring to putrid.

For a team that cant buy a hit, it may be a good idea to play your hot bats like Aguliar more than every other game. But if we are down by 9 with 1 out remaining then dont put him in to help him pass contract hurdles.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize the local beat writers have to be cheerleaders for the most part, but how can they defend CC's rational to keep plugging Sogard in the lineup to work out of his slump? Could you imagine a business owner running his operations this way? Having an employee who day after day just isn't getting the job done, and doing it very poorly at that, and costing the company money but will not fire that person because he just needs more time to figure it out? Not wanting to fire the guy because he's such a good guy? His business would go under.

I realize the local beat writers have to be cheerleaders for the most part, but how can they defend CC's rational to keep plugging Sogard in the lineup to work out of his slump? Could you imagine a business owner running his operations this way? Having an employee who day after day just isn't getting the job done, and doing it very poorly at that, and costing the company money but will not fire that person because he just needs more time to figure it out? Not wanting to fire the guy because he's such a good guy? His business would go under.

Last year, Davies would have fit your criteria of someone a "business owner" would have fired, and then he did great. Managers who panic when players go through slumps are typically the ones who end up getting fired. However, Sogard doesn't have much track history of success and will likely not be on the 25-man much longer.

Last year, Davies would have fit your criteria of someone a "business owner" would have fired, and then he did great. Managers who panic when players go through slumps are typically the ones who end up getting fired. However, Sogard doesn't have much track history of success and will likely not be on the 25-man much longer.

There are slumps, and then there are Eric Sogard slumps. Sogard is unique in that he really doesn't have any upside to warrant the patience that CC and Stearns are showing for him. He's just not major league material, and is almost 32 years old. Davies was 24 years old last year during his slump and certainly has upside.

Last year, Davies would have fit your criteria of someone a "business owner" would have fired, and then he did great.

So your equating Zach Davies who has several years of very good success with Eric Sogard whose career of >1500 PA has been at replacement level?

Managers who panic when players go through slumps are typically the ones who end up getting fired.

Sogard was signed as a backup for our 24YO SS and our 27YO 2B. Said manager is finding ways to give these two young players multiple days off each week so that a backup (who is hitting much worse than either of them) opportunities to start. There's no panic there, just really bad decisions by the manager.

The next two games are against the Cleveland Indians (one of those quality teams the Brewers offense struggles against) and the Brewers will face Corey Kluber and Carlos Carrasco... Has any team been no-hit 2 games in a row? Maybe we'll see history this week... And probably 2 more shutouts...

Counsell doesn't get to decide who is on his 25 man roster. If it were up to me, Nottingham, Orf, and Wren would all be on a plane to Milwaukee tomorrow. But instead he has to put a lineup out there with Arcia, Perez, Sogard, Villar, Phillips, Bandy, Pina all on the roster, can't sit them all.

This.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There are slumps, and then there are Eric Sogard slumps. Sogard is unique in that he really doesn't have any upside to warrant the patience that CC and Stearns are showing for him. He's just not major league material, and is almost 32 years old. Davies was 24 years old last year during his slump and certainly has upside.

I'd argue that it isn't even much of a slump. It's just who Sogard really is. With all the talk of "regression candidates" during the offseason, no one nailed the biggest one of all.

Archived