Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-06: Pirates (Kuhl) at Brewers (Anderson) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 9-0]

Eye Black
Sogard has a BABIP of .143 with a 26% LD rate Hard Contact 32.6%

Arcia by comparison has a BABIP of .277 13% LD rate Hard Contact 30.7%

Villar .397 BABIP 20.3% and 29.7%

Perez .213 16.3% and 24%

Sogard is easily the best hitter of the four and has a much better K/BB ratio than any of the other three. He absolutely has been unlucky and deserves a chance to get his standard numbers up. If anyone's actually watched the last two games, he's lined out to an outfielder twice, hit a flyout to the wall, hit into a DP and walked three times.

If I'm Counsell, I play him every day at either 2B or SS.

At some point actual results matter too.

We're only talking about 50 or so ABs

Actually we're talking about 1,500 major league ABs as a roughly replacement level player.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sogard has a BABIP of .143 with a 26% LD rate Hard Contact 32.6%

Arcia by comparison has a BABIP of .277 13% LD rate Hard Contact 30.7%

Villar .397 BABIP 20.3% and 29.7%

Perez .213 16.3% and 24%

Sogard is easily the best hitter of the four and has a much better K/BB ratio than any of the other three. He absolutely has been unlucky and deserves a chance to get his standard numbers up. If anyone's actually watched the last two games, he's lined out to an outfielder twice, hit a flyout to the wall, hit into a DP and walked three times.

If I'm Counsell, I play him every day at either 2B or SS.

At some point actual results matter too.

We're only talking about 50 or so ABs

Over 1700 PAs under .630 ops...

One last thing before I drop the subject. If CC's reasoning for playing Sogard is wanting him to break out of his slump, why doesn't he give the same consideration to Perez or Villar? I just don't like this strategy of playing your worst hitter out of hope. Play your best options. It might be the difference between a playoff berth and watching the playoffs at home again.

You could at least try to defend your points without being completely condescending.

I only threw it right back at him when he responded that my comment should be in blue. These numbers are not hard to look up, I think Sogard has shown a good approach at the plate, but has been extremely unlucky. I think a common mistake from people is to overlook the amount of luck at the major league level when the talent level is as even as it is across the league.

"Actually we're talking about 1,500 major league ABs as a roughly replacement level player."

299 PAs last year after missing an entire year, he was a completely different hitter.

I think it's far more likely that he had a nice circumstantial run of 150 or so ABs than just somehow went from a mediocre career journeyman to a good player in his 30s.

You can't chalk his slow start up to small sample while using small samples of good hitting from last year to defend him.

I'd like to see Sogard gone, because we'd be free of the anti-Sogard posts which seem to dominate every IGT. We get it, you don't like him, as evidenced by the numerous posts saying the exact same thing.

We wouldn't talk about it as much if he wasn't getting any regular playing time, but he is. I didn't see anybody calling for everybody to lay off Garza the past two years, but maybe Sogard gets a pass because he's a nice guy.

Sogard isn't getting the big salary Garza got.

I'd like to see Sogard gone, because we'd be free of the anti-Sogard posts which seem to dominate every IGT. We get it, you don't like him, as evidenced by the numerous posts saying the exact same thing.

We wouldn't talk about it as much if he wasn't getting any regular playing time, but he is. I didn't see anybody calling for everybody to lay off Garza the past two years, but maybe Sogard gets a pass because he's a nice guy.

Sogard isn't getting the big salary Garza got.

Why should that matter?

"Actually we're talking about 1,500 major league ABs as a roughly replacement level player."

299 PAs last year after missing an entire year, he was a completely different hitter.

I think it's far more likely that he had a nice circumstantial run of 150 or so ABs than just somehow went from a mediocre career journeyman to a good player in his 30s.

You can't chalk his slow start up to small sample while using small samples of good hitting from last year to defend him.

There's a difference between 300 PAs and like 60 he's had this year. A little bit more luck on just a few linedrives or deep flyballs hes hit and his numbers look a lot different, that's all I'm saying. I don't think its a bad idea to give him a few starts in a row to try to get out of the slump when every other middle infielder has been as bad as they have been.

Soon enough I think they'll call up Dubon anyway.

What is the biggest defecit we've overcome this year to win a game? I can't imagine it's three given the lack of offense this year.

I recall two 4 to nothing holes early in the season we overcame.

And people wonder why we don't lay off Sogard.

Thought you were dropping it. Evidently not.

I thought about editing that post to include "until he soils himself again" but didn't feel like putting in the effort.

Why should that matter?

I recall a lot of guys grousing about Garza getting all that money and stinking out the joint.

That doesn't answer my question.

It probably doesn't matter technically but Garza's salary is one of the reasons why folks complained about him, that's all. If a high priced player in any sport isn't playing well folks will b*tch about it.

It's got to be disheartening for guys like Shaw and Santana knowing that even if they get on with the guys that follow them being on base means nothing.

At least Arcia hit it hard. To Sogard's credit if this is his last chance as some have theorized he is making the decision easy.

Archived