Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-05: Pirates (Taillon) at Brewers (Chacín) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-3]

Eye Black
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call up Dubon or Orf and DFA Sogard already. There is literally no down side to this.

When Sogard was coming up to the plate I was kind of feeling bad for him. He seems like a good dude, must feel a ton of pressure right now, doing his best, etc etc.

Then 2 pitches later I was over that.

I sure hope Sedar didn't send Cain there because that was a very poor decision.

Not to pile on Sogard (actually don't really care at this point), but if he at least clears the pitcher in his AB instead of grounding into a DP, there would only have been 1 out and Cain definitely doesn't get sent.

I don't have that much of a problem with it. It was a very close play at the plate and the offense has been scuffling, Cain was trying to steal a run and if Frazier had paused for just a moment, Cain would've scored.

Doesn't always work out.

I don't have that much of a problem with it. It was a very close play at the plate and the offense has been scuffling, Cain was trying to steal a run and if Frazier had paused for just a moment, Cain would've scored.

Doesn't always work out.

Maybe you try that if Sogard is due up, but not Shaw.

Doesn't always work out.

Maybe you try that if Sogard is due up, but not Shaw.

Totally valid counterargument.

Chacin should be embarrassed they walked sogard to get to him. [sarcasm]Though at least sogard cleared the pitcher this time. Baby steps.[/sarcasm]
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Chacin should be embarrassed they walked sogard to get to him. [sarcasm]Though at least sogard cleared the pitcher this time. Baby steps.[/sarcasm]

Yeah, not very good strategy by Hurdle, but he got away with it.

RISP is such a useless stat. They should have something like scoring efficiency:

Pirates had 1 RISP and scored 1 run = 100%

Brewers had 4 RISP and 1 run = 25%

That's what's so frustrating about this team, they just can't convert scoring opportunities at a high enough rate...

Is it accurate to say, of the returning offensive players, they are all regressing? Maybe exclude Aguilar but with the way things are going, he'll go cold. So not fun to watch this scuffling offense. Frustrating.

RISP is such a useless stat. They should have something like scoring efficiency:

Pirates had 1 RISP and scored 1 run = 100%

Brewers had 4 RISP and 1 run = 25%

That's what's so frustrating about this team, they just can't convert scoring opportunities at a high enough rate...

I was thinking something along these lines. I would scoring efficiency would involve run expectancy. Take run expectancy and compare to runs scored, and you get a sense for efficiency, though luck would play a big role there too.

Anyone know where to find team run expectancy?

Is it accurate to say, of the returning offensive players, they are all regressing? Maybe exclude Aguilar but with the way things are going, he'll go cold. So not fun to watch this scuffling offense. Frustrating.

Yelich and Cain are as expected. Braun is okay, runs hot and cold and his availability will be a problem the rest of his career. Shaw is still decent but is a likely regression candidate to some degree. Villar began his regression last year and continues to do so. Pina, Perez, Arcia, and Santana have regressed. Sogard has redefined the word "regression".

Pretty accurate. Problem is, it's not really surprising. Shaw, Santana, and Pina were all pretty easy bets to regress some from last year. Sogard was a 100% guarantee to regress from last year. Braun is not surprising because he's getting older and never healthy.

Villar isn't much better than last year. Perez and Arcia have never been good hitters but they went from not good to horrid so far this season. Just imagine how pathetic it would be without Cain and Yelich.

I was thinking something along these lines. I would scoring efficiency would involve run expectancy. Take run expectancy and compare to runs scored, and you get a sense for efficiency, though luck would play a big role there too.

I agree. Runner on third and second are different as is number of outs. Run expectancy should capture that, and even 1B... RussL, among others, knew where those numbers are available...

To say the least.

Shaw isn’t as good as last year and we are seeing that. Thames looked good though. Braun is Braun which is both good and bad. Pina and Villar simply aren’t good players. The players who shocked me are Santana and Arcia. We need those two to get better ASAP. For all the talk of the farm, we haven’t developed a meaningful offensive played in a long time. I had hoped those two would be it.

Offense tends to heat up in May and June so hopefully that will happen.

Archived