Brewer Fanatic

#JJ2DC

agent39

Started a hashtag to get JJ to DC for the all star game. Any help appreciated. Im doing a live podcast in DC for thr a.s. game. All invited and if jj makes it hell be there too

Thanks

J

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they both keep doing what they’re doing right now it would be an absolute shame if they didn’t.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

While its nice both guys are doing well, perhaps in the bigger picture of 2018 & beyond, it would be better that both guys NOT get a bid for the AS game in DC so they can rest & recharge for the 2nd half of the season.

Hader/JJ are in the top 5 NL relievers in IP, JJ is 3rd among qualifying relievers in ERA (Hader is 15th with a 1.00 ERA, so lots of great relievers thus far).

JJ falls way behind Hader in terms of K/9 and FIP/xFIP/DRA (very surprised that JJ's DRA is like 5-something).

Similar to Travis Shaw last year, JJ deserves an AS game berth but there just might be too many talented relievers ahead of him.

If 6 relievers make the AS game for the NL, right now I'd probably go with (not my choices but likely selections):

1. Josh Hader

2. Wade Davis (most saves with 11)

3. Brad Boxberger (2nd most saves with 10)

4. Jeurys Familia (3rd most saves with 9, ERA under 2)

5. Brandon Morrow (hasn't given up a run yet and throws heat)

6. Adam Ottavino (same numbers as JJ essentially but much higher K rate, much lower FIP/xFIP, roughly same number of IP, and his stuff is just off the charts nasty)

Carl Edwards Jr is also doing what JJ has done in terms of numbers but with better peripherals and way more K's.

The problem is once you open it up to non-closers, the options expand dramatically and there are a lot of good relievers out there. Watching JJ this year has been something special and his grit and determination isn't shown in the basic numbers, and I agree that he's absolutely worthy of being an All Star, but I just don't see it happening this year particularly with Hader already likely taking up a spot.

Now if Knebel comes back and isn't as effective and JJ starts to get every save opportunity in the 9th and starts racking up saves? Then maybe, but that seems unlikely given how CC has run the bullpen thus far.

This is cool and thanks for sharing this with the board Agent. I am up for doing what we can to make JJ an all star this year (if he does this for another month he should be a no brainer). I wonder if you could tell us whether or not JJ or any other other players ever check these boards? I know that we have had Jeff Juden, Brooks Kieschnick, and Ben Hendrickson's Dad post here over the years, but I am curious if you know of anyone on the current team that takes the time to read these posts? Also, I will be in DC for the all star game and would love to check out the podcast. Thanks again for posting!

I don’t get the logic of this. Of course we don’t vote for the all star pitchers. Asking for hopes and prayers??

The logic of this is to spread the word about the job JJ is doing this year, which so far has been incredible. Start a grass-roots campaign among the most tuned-in Brewers fans to propagate through social media and hopefully get some national attention. Whether or not it leads to an All-Star selection, some national attention would be good for JJ. He's earned it, but has been overshadowed by some other performances, and by not racking up saves.

Also attention for a Brewers player means attention for the Brewers. That's always good to get.

I don’t get the logic of this. Of course we don’t vote for the all star pitchers. Asking for hopes and prayers??

The logic of this is to spread the word about the job JJ is doing this year, which so far has been incredible. Start a grass-roots campaign among the most tuned-in Brewers fans to propagate through social media and hopefully get some national attention. Whether or not it leads to an All-Star selection, some national attention would be good for JJ. He's earned it, but has been overshadowed by some other performances, and by not racking up saves.

Also attention for a Brewers player means attention for the Brewers. That's always good to get.

THIS

Hader/JJ are in the top 5 NL relievers in IP, JJ is 3rd among qualifying relievers in ERA (Hader is 15th with a 1.00 ERA, so lots of great relievers thus far).

JJ falls way behind Hader in terms of K/9 and FIP/xFIP/DRA (very surprised that JJ's DRA is like 5-something).

Similar to Travis Shaw last year, JJ deserves an AS game berth but there just might be too many talented relievers ahead of him.

If 6 relievers make the AS game for the NL, right now I'd probably go with (not my choices but likely selections):

1. Josh Hader

2. Wade Davis (most saves with 11)

3. Brad Boxberger (2nd most saves with 10)

4. Jeurys Familia (3rd most saves with 9, ERA under 2)

5. Brandon Morrow (hasn't given up a run yet and throws heat)

6. Adam Ottavino (same numbers as JJ essentially but much higher K rate, much lower FIP/xFIP, roughly same number of IP, and his stuff is just off the charts nasty)

Carl Edwards Jr is also doing what JJ has done in terms of numbers but with better peripherals and way more K's.

The problem is once you open it up to non-closers, the options expand dramatically and there are a lot of good relievers out there. Watching JJ this year has been something special and his grit and determination isn't shown in the basic numbers, and I agree that he's absolutely worthy of being an All Star, but I just don't see it happening this year particularly with Hader already likely taking up a spot.

Now if Knebel comes back and isn't as effective and JJ starts to get every save opportunity in the 9th and starts racking up saves? Then maybe, but that seems unlikely given how CC has run the bullpen thus far.

I think you are right on that list of 6 being the most likely. Personally if I were to pick 6 NL relievers today I'd go with:

Archie Bradley/Arizona = 1.35 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 8.6 K/9

Sean Doolittle/ Washington = 1.72 ERA, 0.45 WHIP, 13.8 K/9

Carl Edwards Jr./Chicago = 0.53 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 15.9 K/9

Josh Hader/Milwaukee = 1.64 ERA, 0.50 WHIP, 18.8 K/9

Jeremy Jeffress/Milwaukee = 0.45 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 7.2 K/9

Adam Ottavino/Colorado = 1.35 ERA, 0.65 WHIP, 15.8 K/9

Did anyone else notice the Brewers announcers last night when JJ came in. They acted almost surprised that JJ came in to start an inning instead of with runners on base. Then they were almost blase about his outing when he left the game - 4 batters faced, 4 outs.

JJ was absolutely dominant tonight. Thanks for contributing here Agent39. That split change that JJ is now throwing is such a great pitch to work off of mid 90’s heat. 96 to 83 can drive a batter crazy.

JJ was absolutely dominant tonight. Thanks for contributing here Agent39. That split change that JJ is now throwing is such a great pitch to work off of mid 90’s heat. 96 to 83 can drive a batter crazy.

It looked like he threw a nasty two seamer or something last night at 93. That's just unhittable.

Archived