Brewer Fanatic

2018 Standings and Playoff Race Discussion

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said this in the game thread but my read is you celebrate. It is a big deal to make even a one-game playoff format. Plis, we are in STL. Plus we have a day off to reset. Plus I think these guys can celebrate and still know the real goal. I hope they give us a reason to debate this tonight.

Also, the 5 pitchers the Cubs will face: Nova, Williams, Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty, at least if all holds. If they end up winning, they will have earned it.

As others have said:

1) While I certainly wouldn't want a tiebreaker game for the division, two chances at the NLDS are better than just one. Let's win it outright and make it easier, though.

2) I want no part of the Dodgers. Even without Kershaw, they have a great starting rotation, great bullpen, and a monster lineup.

Obviously, "be careful what you wish for" always applies, but the ideal situation - I think - would be Brewers win the division, Rockies win the West, Dodgers tank and miss the playoffs, Cards beat Cubs in WC.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I absolutely would be ecstatic to see them make a one-game playoff, I think the guys absolutely deserve a celebration of making the playoffs, and not much else to say. I know one out of three teams make the playoffs every year but it just seems like such a Monumental Hill for us to climb.

As others have said:

1) While I certainly wouldn't want a tiebreaker game for the division, two chances at the NLDS are better than just one. Let's win it outright and make it easier, though.

2) I want no part of the Dodgers. Even without Kershaw, they have a great starting rotation, great bullpen, and a monster lineup.

Obviously, "be careful what you wish for" always applies, but the ideal situation - I think - would be Brewers win the division, Rockies win the West, Dodgers tank and miss the playoffs, Cards beat Cubs in WC.

Same, but I'd prefer the Cubs winning the play-in game. I don't want the Cards in the playoffs again, it's all different guys, but I'm sick of playing them, and the Cubs making four straight LCS seems like bad odds for them.

I absolutely would be ecstatic to see them make a one-game playoff, I think the guys absolutely deserve a celebration of making the playoffs, and not much else to say. I know one out of three teams make the playoffs every year but it just seems like such a Monumental Hill for us to climb.

At this point, I am not rooting to face anyone in particular. The playoffs are another animal and as we saw in 2011, the most talented team doesn't always win. I am simply rooting for the Brewers to win the Division and go as far as possible. A one game playoff for this team scares me due to our lack of a TOR SP. The Divisional Series or Championship Series scare me far less as the depth this team has is what is vital to their success and I am confident against any team in the NL.

Color me scared of Kershaw or Freeland in the WC game.

Both Wild Card teams in the American League, the Athletics and Yankees, celebrated after they clinched. It would be a shame if the Brewers didn't win the Division and never celebrated after a long season.

The Cubs should celebrate as well even if it is a result of another team losing, happens all the time in baseball. Doesn't minimize what the team accomplished.

Just curious, are they allowed not to celebrate today? I haven't followed the other clinchers that closely, but I always figured you were thrown the special shirts etc. ASAP

I figured teams just celebrated twice.

Does that mean that the Cubs also get to celebrate tonight, after getting shut out by Nova? If the Cardinals lose, the Cubs clinch a spot.

I read somewhere Cubs will not be celebrating Wild Card clinch

Just curious, are they allowed not to celebrate today? I haven't followed the other clinchers that closely, but I always figured you were thrown the special shirts etc. ASAP

Does that mean that the Cubs also get to celebrate tonight, after getting shut out by Nova? If the Cardinals lose, the Cubs clinch a spot.

My girlfriend is a Childcare Attendant for the players children. She just received an email from her boss stating this...."If we clinch tonight, the team will be coming back to MKE and will be ready to celebrate! They plan to come directly to the ballpark for a late night party and we're looking for childcare attendants from 12pm-3am. I know you all have day jobs and the requested time is absurdly early. No pressure but if you're available, you'll receive a generous amount for your time. Let me know ASAP if you're available and I"ll be in touch with contact information"

so that essentially answers that.

Coach Cooper approves. you don't celebrate 2nd place.

As others have said:

Yeah, if it's:

1) Milwaukee v 4) St. Louis

and

2)Atlanta v 3) Colorado

I'm going to very disappointed if they don't win the NL.

Dodgers are easily the scariest team to me as well.

My girlfriend is a Childcare Attendant for the players children. She just received an email from her boss stating this...."If we clinch tonight, the team will be coming back to MKE and will be ready to celebrate! They plan to come directly to the ballpark for a late night party and we're looking for childcare attendants from 12pm-3am. I know you all have day jobs and the requested time is absurdly early. No pressure but if you're available, you'll receive a generous amount for your time. Let me know ASAP if you're available and I"ll be in touch with contact information"

Haha.........That sounds like an easy $300/hour.

Does anybody know their charter details? Do they normally go into General Mitchell and come through the general public areas, like Austin Straubel (Packers)?

As of right now, the Dodgers are WC#2. They finish on the road @SF. Rockies have 1 more vs Phillies then home vs Nats. My guess is Rockies win 3 of 4, Dodgers sweep. That would force a 1 game playoff for the west. In this case, the Cards are out even if they sweep the Cubs.

So much still very up in the air.

So obviously the Pirates winning tomorrow (today) would be MASSIVE. I hope that happens, I really do, but I am not expecting it. That leaves us 1 GB going into the weekend.

Assuming the Brewers take care of business this weekend vs Detroit, what are the odds of St. Louis giving a really good showing in Chicago? I don't know. I like the pitchers going for the Cards at least and hopefully with them being in desperation mode will help.

So obviously the Pirates winning tomorrow (today) would be MASSIVE. I hope that happens, I really do, but I am not expecting it. That leaves us 1 GB going into the weekend.

Assuming the Brewers take care of business this weekend vs Detroit, what are the odds of St. Louis giving a really good showing in Chicago? I don't know. I like the pitchers going for the Cards at least and hopefully with them being in desperation mode will help.

The Cubs face Trevor Williams tonight. He's been among the best starting pitchers in baseball in the second half of the season, and is absolutely not a pushover. Lester is pitching for the Cubs. I am expecting a low-scoring game. It going to be a matter of if and when the Pirates can get to that overripe bullpen. I totally and completely expect a Pirates win this evening.

The Cardinals are one game out of a Wild Card game, so they have no choice but to put together good showing this weekend, and hope the Dodgers continue to lose. I don't think the Rockies are going to fall off. They lucked out with getting hot combined with playing teams that have thrown in the towel this year.

So if we tie the Cubs, it's essentially like we get 2 chances to win the Wild Card game. If we win either game, we're in the NLDS, but winning the first game on the road would give us the opportunity to host every series until the WS.

Chacin would be on regular rest to pitch on Monday, so I'd guess they'd pitch him. I wonder what they'll do on Sunday though. It looks like, if the game is important, they might do another bullpen game, but that could be bad if we have to play Monday/Tuesday as we will want a rested bullpen.

Hoping for solid starts from Davies/Miley the next two days to keep the bullpen well rested.

Looking at any "Wild Card" scenario, be it game 163 or the actual, I would think if Chacin can get through 3 innings, you could get Hader for 2, Knebel for 1, Burnes for 1, Soria for 1, Jeffress for 1. If either of those guys is looking good or zooms through an inning in less than 10 pitches, let them throw another and maybe bounce Soria?

Does anybody know their charter details? Do they normally go into General Mitchell and come through the general public areas, like Austin Straubel (Packers)?

Private party at Mikey's downtown last night from about 1am-4am for the team. Was anyone lucky enough to be downtown that late on a Thursday night and run into any Brewers who were "lit" as the kids are saying??

Archived