Brewer Fanatic

2018 Standings and Playoff Race Discussion

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, 10/2 is Tuesday, the NL WC, so I assume the Division tiebreaker is 10/1.

Yes, I meant Monday, October 1st.

One thing that didn’t look possible a couple of weeks ago was the Brewers overtaking the Cardinals in run differential, but that has now happened as well as the Brewers move to +79 on the season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I am all in for the division now. We are going to finish off the Cards tonight and the Cubs will lose 1 of the next 2 so we are all square going into the weekend.

I don't know who the respective starters will be in both series but it is safe to assume the Brewers will have the more favorable matchups.

I hope the Rockies and Dodgers lose tonight because I don't want the Cards falling 2 games back in WC going into the weekend as their Sunday game could end up being meaningless.

Even we end up tying for the division and have to play a tiebreaker in CHI I would actually feel pretty confident, Brewers are playing very well right now.

Honestly, if they don't win the division outright after Sunday, I would almost rather they just play the 1 game WC. It would be EXTREMELY tough to play the WC game right away the next day, if you lose the division title game on Monday.

As intense as our games with the Cubs have been, it would be tough to move on right away for a do or die game. Not to mention the possibility of burning out some bullpen arms. The other WC team will have an advantage over whoever loses a division title game.

Depends how we treat #163. If we go all in, use all the elite bullpen arms, and then lose...yah bad news for us. If we treat it like a normal game and don't use those guys unless it is close/winning then maybe the disadvantage isn't as big.

Ya, losing game 163 most likely reduces your changes of winning the Wild Card game as it takes away a SP and weakens your bullpen. The way the Cubs and Brewers are playing right now I think we'd have a pretty good chance of beating them but if given the choice I'd rather not have to deal with a tiebreaker game.

hopefully the cubs are experiencing what the brewers did heading into the all star break

Humor me....

If they lost the rest of their games... is there even a way they could get kicked from the postseason all together? Or would we need the Cardinals to win tonight vs us for that to happen? Trying to run down scenarios and it depends on LA and COL too...

hopefully the cubs are experiencing what the brewers did heading into the all star break

Humor me....

If they lost the rest of their games... is there even a way they could get kicked from the postseason all together? Or would we need the Cardinals to win tonight vs us for that to happen? Trying to run down scenarios and it depends on LA and COL too...

The Cubs have clinched at least a tiebreaker game in the WC. They are at 91 wins, so if they lose out they will finish with.... 91 wins!

The Cardinals and Rockies are both at 87 wins, Cards have 4 games left, Rockies have 5. So, if the Cubs lose out, the worst they could do is tie the Cardinals for WC#2.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Humor me....

The Cubs have clinched at least a tiebreaker game in the WC. They are at 91 wins, so if they lose out they will finish with.... 91 wins!

The Cardinals and Rockies are both at 87 wins, Cards have 4 games left, Rockies have 5. So, if the Cubs lose out, the worst they could do is tie the Cardinals for WC#2.

Same as us, we at least shall have a play in for WC 2. That's good news. I'd just love to see the Cubs not even host a WC game.... It would bring joy to the deepest parts of my heart and soul! haha.

Things change fast but neither STL or CHC are top of the list concerns for me right now. They both look so drained that they appear to be favorable matchups more so than any of the NL teams at the moment. The only matchup I'm trying to avoid is LA.

Any team in a one game playoff is scary...not, "Kershaw...making my death bed scary" but scary. It is such a crapshoot. Even a 5-7 game series is woefully random.

STL has more of a random "uh oh" factor to me than the Cubs. I really don't think the Cubs are going to do much. That team looks exhausted, it is badly banged up, there is trash coming out of bullpen lately and they had a major clubhouse issue at the end of September.

It isn't really that surprising if they flame out, four straight years in the LCS would be a really impressive feat in itself.

Things change fast but neither STL or CHC are top of the list concerns for me right now. They both look so drained that they appear to be favorable matchups more so than any of the NL teams at the moment. The only matchup I'm trying to avoid is LA.

Any team in a one game playoff is scary...not, "Kershaw...making my death bed scary" but scary. It is such a crapshoot. Even a 5-7 game series is woefully random.

I get not wanting to face Kershaw, but lets not forget that he has been very average in playoff games.

I get not wanting to face Kershaw, but lets not forget that he has been very average in playoff games.

Career 4.35 ERA in postseason, and definitely prone to clunkers in October, too. I certainly wouldn’t consider him a death sentence in a one-game elimination.

Popular topic on the local airwaves today is whether the Brewers will/should celebrate tonight should they clinch a playoff spot.

My opinion: F ya they should celebrate. This team has only made the playoffs twice in my lifetime. These guys deserve the celebrate making the playoffs because it's a great accomplishment. They have an off day tomorrow so go nuts.

If they go on to win the division, celebrate again.

Just curious, are they allowed not to celebrate today? I haven't followed the other clinchers that closely, but I always figured you were thrown the special shirts etc. ASAP

I figured teams just celebrated twice.

Does that mean that the Cubs also get to celebrate tonight, after getting shut out by Nova? If the Cardinals lose, the Cubs clinch a spot.

Archived