Brewer Fanatic

2018 Standings and Playoff Race Discussion

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Pirates could get at least one more win in Chicago, that would be helpful. A sweep would be huge.

I’d rather see the Brewers have a chance to take and hold the division lead without needing the Cardinals to beat the Cubs. If the Brewers complete the sweep in St. Louis, that could be a knockout punch for the Cardinals’ season. If so, then I wouldn’t want to count on them to get a win in Chicago. Of course, the Brewers just need to keep winning.

The Brewers' chances of winning the division jumped from ~15% this morning to ~43% tonight.

From about a dice roll to almost a coin flip.

And when you look at the remaining schedule, the Brewers have a much easier road on paper. Nova and Williams are really rough matchups for them the next two days, and you know the Cardinals are going to be playing their hearts out this week just to stay alive.

The Brewers' chances of winning the division jumped from ~15% this morning to ~43% tonight.

From about a dice roll to almost a coin flip.

And when you look at the remaining schedule, the Brewers have a much easier road on paper. Nova and Williams are really rough matchups for them the next two days, and you know the Cardinals are going to be playing their hearts out this week just to stay alive.

While I understand that, aren't they playing their hearts out right now?

Of course they are. Right now, though, the Brewers are better team than the Cubs. I think the Cardinals take at least one, if not two this weekend.

My point being, whether they are playing their hearts out or playing for win #60, it's the same team in a huge rivalry. Them needing to win isn't going to change the way they play. I agree that STL can win 2 and think they will win 2, but not because they are "playing their hearts out".

Of course they are. Right now, though, the Brewers are better team than the Cubs. I think the Cardinals take at least one, if not two this weekend.

My point being, whether they are playing their hearts out or playing for win #60, it's the same team in a huge rivalry. Them needing to win isn't going to change the way they play. I agree that STL can win 2 and think they will win 2, but not because they are "playing their hearts out".

Theoretically had they sewn up a Wild Card spot this week, they wouldn't have to. It is a huge rivalry, so maybe they would have. But their backs will be against the wall. They will be facing true "must win" games this weekend. That's what I meant.

What do we all THINK is gonna happen at this point? I am genuinely curious where everyone stands.

I hope I am wrong, but something just tells me the Cubs find a way to win the next 2. Let's just assume Milwaukee wins the last of the series vs STL. That puts us a game back going into the weekend. Can STL win 2/3 from Chicago?

My gut says its a Cubs one game division win or a Game 163. I hope that isn't the case. I hope Pitt wins the next 2 and there minimal drama after a Friday night win against Detroit. My wife and I are making the 4 hour drive to Miller Park on Saturday, and as much as I would love to see that be the clincher, I want this thing to get wrapped up quickly.

What do we all THINK is gonna happen at this point? I am genuinely curious where everyone stands.

I hope I am wrong, but something just tells me the Cubs find a way to win the next 2. Let's just assume Milwaukee wins the last of the series vs STL. That puts us a game back going into the weekend. Can STL win 2/3 from Chicago?

My gut says its a Cubs one game division win or a Game 163. I hope that isn't the case. I hope Pitt wins the next 2 and there minimal drama after a Friday night win against Detroit. My wife and I are making the 4 hour drive to Miller Park on Saturday, and as much as I would love to see that be the clincher, I want this thing to get wrapped up quickly.

What do I think? I think the one game playoff is the dumbest thing in sports.

A team wins 90+ games and it could all be lost because of one bad game? Are you kidding me?

And we do this, why? So that more fans would keep interest late into the season because their team still has a chance at the playoffs? The one game playoff isn't the playoffs, it's a play-IN. You play it to get INTO the playoffs. How stupid is that?

Just get rid of it. Go back to the old model. They play 162 games, that's more than enough to figure out who deserves a full playoff series. Was it fun when the Brewers got super close to the one game playoff last season? Yeah, it was. But we didn't deserve that excitement. It was phony. We weren't a playoff team. This year? We have a great team. We have a great team that still has about a 40-45% chance of not getting a full playoff series because last year's Brewers got hot at the right time and snuck their way in and are trying to ruin it for us.

We need to win the division. Oh my god, how sweet would that be if the Cubs lost to the Cards in a one gamer? I would cry with laughter. That is the only way that the play-in round is any good.

I think we will win the division if the Cubs lose the next two days and we win tonight. That would put us up one game going into the final weekend. I REALLY don’t want to play a Game 163...at all. That being said a Game 163 is a very real possibility at this point.

I think the Brewers are going to go 3-1 over the next four while the Cubs go 3-2 in their last five. Both teams will have identical 94-68 records, and have a Game 163 at Wrigley for the division championship on Monday, October 1st.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think the same, Brewers 3-1, Cubs 3-2. Take our chances in a one game vs the Cubs. I think we win in that case... and send the Cubs off to play Colorado or LA or STL, and lose that. One of the greatest collapses we have seen playoff % wise. And oh so sweet to all of us to watch. I'll bring the marshmellows !

I think the Brewers are going to go 3-1 over the next four while the Cubs go 3-2 in their last five. Both teams will have identical 94-68 records, and have a Game 163 at Wrigley for the division championship on Monday, October 2nd.

I agree this seems like it's going to happen.

I know some people have said they'd rather not play a game 163 for the division and just take their chances in the WC game, but I think I'd rather have 2 shots to get into the NLDS than just one.

I think the Brewers are going to go 3-1 over the next four while the Cubs go 3-2 in their last five. Both teams will have identical 94-68 records, and have a Game 163 at Wrigley for the division championship on Monday, October 2nd.

I agree this seems like it's going to happen.

I know some people have said they'd rather not play a game 163 for the division and just take their chances in the WC game, but I think I'd rather have 2 shots to get into the NLDS than just one.

ABSOLUTELY. 2 is better than 1, any time, any where! Figure the offense will be good at least one of the two, so we will be ok, right? :laughing

Archived