Brewer Fanatic

2018 Standings and Playoff Race Discussion

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it has been mentioned that a scenario where the Brewers tied for the division title could end up hurting their playoff chances if they lost at Wrigley on Monday in Game 163. The Monday game would certainly be high stakes with the loser at a disadvantage for Tuesday.

Can we just pass on the tie breaker game and go full strength into the wild card game?

Of course you can. You can trot out a lineup of Broxton, Santana, Perez, Nottingham, Thames, Saladino, Schoop, and Granderson, start Freddy Peralta, call up Diplan and Houser, keep a few relievers who won't be in the playoffs, and keep everyone else home.

When you have a chance to win the division and #1 overall seed in the NL by winning 1 game however I would not recommend doing that.

Cubs and Brewers both get easy wins, which ultimately gets the Cubs one game closer to clinching. Cubs magic number is now 5. Cubs now have 7 remaining and Brewers 6. New line of possibilities:

Cubs go 0-7 : Brewers need to go 2-4 to tie, 3-3 to win

Cubs go 1-6 : Brewers need to go 3-3 to tie, 4-2 to win

Cubs go 2-5 : Brewers need to go 4-2 to tie, 5-1 to win

Cubs go 3-4 : Brewers need to go 5-1 to tie, 6-0 to win

Cubs go 4-3 : Brewers need to go 6-0 to tie

Cubs go 5-2 : Brewers are eliminated regardless

Again, likely possibilities highlighted. As you can see, not gaining ground makes things that much more difficult each day. Brewers will likely need to win at least 4 of the remaining 6 to have a chance at a tie and go 5-1 or 6-0 to have any shot at winning division outright.

One crazy scenario would be...

Cubs go 1-3 against the Pirates and 0-3 again the Cardinals.

Cardinals go 2-1 against the Brewers and 3-0 against the Cubs.

Brewers go 1-2 against the Cardinals and 2-1 against the Tigers.

All three teams would finish with an identical 92-70 record, and it would be a three way tie for the Division title. That would cause some chaos and delay the start of the NL playoffs.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Would feel a lot more comfortable if the Brewers can take 2 out of 3 against the Cardinals. If the Brewers lose 2 out of 3 they would only be up 1 with the Cardinals getting the tiebreaker for home field in the Wild Card. Plus it is would be very likely the Cubs have nothing to play for against the Cardinals.

In a perfect world, the Brewers sweep the Cardinals, while the Cubs struggle against the Pirates with a 2-2 split. The Cardinals then feel obligated to play with their hair on fire next weekend against the Cubs to secure a playoff spot, while the Brewers come home and take care of business against Detroit. Probable? No ... but entirely possible. If the Brewers can take 2 of 3, they will be in the division hunt barring a 4 game Cub sweep.

I’m feeling pretty good regardless. The Cardinals might play the Cubs, but we will play a team that hasn’t had anything to play for all year. Safe bet we win 2/3 at least...don’t think the Cardinals can sweep the Cubs whether they have anything to play for or not.

Would feel a lot more comfortable if the Brewers can take 2 out of 3 against the Cardinals. If the Brewers lose 2 out of 3 they would only be up 1 with the Cardinals getting the tiebreaker for home field in the Wild Card. Plus it is would be very likely the Cubs have nothing to play for against the Cardinals.

2/3 is a must against the Cards imo. Sweeping them would of course be ideal, but that is never an easy task.

2/3 is a must against the Cards imo. Sweeping them would of course be ideal, but that is never an easy task.

I wouldn't say 2 of 3 is an absolute must, but it would be ideal to avoid the unenviable thought of cheering for the Cubs next weekend.

We are in a really crazy situation with the match-ups in the final week of the season, where the Brewers, Cardinals and Rockies all control their own destiny for getting into the Wild Card games -- and the Cardinals actually control their destiny for WC#1!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

This feels like it will be the most nerve wrecking series of baseball for me since 2011. Win 2 of 3 and we at least are highly likely to get a home wild card; lose 2 out of 3 or worse and you start to get visions of missing entirely or having to go down to STL and having Mikolas completely own us in the WC round.

If it is our destiny to win 2 of 3 vs the Cards, I sincerely hope it is the first 2. I don't want to lose the first one and feel stressed out the following 2 games needing the wins(s).
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Monday could not have gone any better for the Brewers. Cubs lose. Rockies pull closer to the Cards. Brewers win.

Let's. Go!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

5 team race still for 4playoff spots. Even the Cubs haven't clinched yet, though that's a win away or Colorado loss away. Absolutely routing for the Pirates. We are 1.5 games behind not only division but #1 seed throughout playoffs. This is very realistic now to accomplish. Cubs vs should be close to 50/50 every game. We sweep Cardinals, we'll be much higher than 50/50 vs Detroit. 5 more to 95! We can run this table after tonights game and Hader giving up 3runs, to win after that? Team must be hungry for Division

You can never assume a sweep, even over the worst teams in baseball. That being said, if we knew right now that the Brewers were going to pull off a sweep against the Tigers at Miller Park this weekend, they would have a legitimate chance to catch the Cubs for at least a tie of the division title. The room for error is thin, but if the Brewers split the last two games of the Cardinals series and win out versus the Tigers, the Cubs would have to finish 4-2 versus the Pirates (3 remaining games) and Cardinals (3 games) in order to win the division outright.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

You can never assume a sweep, even over the worst teams in baseball. That being said, if we knew right now that the Brewers were going to pull off a sweep against the Tigers at Miller Park this weekend, they would have a legitimate chance to catch the Cubs for at least a tie of the division title. The room for error is thin, but if the Brewers split the last two games of the Cardinals series and win out versus the Tigers, the Cubs would have to finish 4-2 versus the Pirates (3 remaining games) and Cardinals (3 games) in order to win the division outright.

Another plus for the Brewers is the Cubs have Mike Montgomery pitching twice in the last 6 games. His numbers look ok but only because they pull him early a lot. That could overwork an already bad bullpen.

Split the next two with the Cards and the division will likely be up for grabs - at least share of it. Win the next two and the pressure is definitely on the Cubs.

the moderators should lock this thread, I can't stand the pressure. One second I think #1 seed, the second later I think of being left out. It's not healthy, AT ALL!

The Brewers have gotten to the point where it would take a collapse of pretty epic proportions not to make the postseason.

come on Joey don't Jinx it

I get that sentiment, but it's foolish to dance around it, too. I know we are conditioned as Brewer fans to expect the worst, but this is a totally different team this year. Past Brewer teams would have thrown in the towel last night after Hader gave up those two bombs. This team kept fighting, and scratched out a tough but well-earned win. I think we are to the point where we can talk about this team being among the best teams in the NL, and it's not just Brewer goggles or wishful thinking.

Archived