Brewer Fanatic

2018 Standings and Playoff Race Discussion

We are 12-6 against the Reds on the season and have been over .500 against them in the 2nd half. Losing a game to them doesn't create a narrative.

The Pirates have had the Brewers number for sure, they are the reason the Brewers probably won't win the division. Going 5-11 against them has really hurt the team. But one team having your number for a season isn't what stops you from being a championship team. It isn't like the Brewers just stink it up every time they face a bad team.

Good points here. The Brewers have 10 games left, it is very unlikely that they win all 10. Losing one game doesn't mean we are doomed...doesn't mean we are "collapsing"...it just means we lost. It's a bit disheartening knowing how fine of a line we have to walk to catch the Cubs for the division, but it is what it is and losing a game doesn't mean any of those things above. The reds pitchers threw the ball well, I thought our approach was generally poor yesterday. It seemed like guys would take a called first strike and have no idea how to respond. But it's one game. On Monday we beat up on every pitcher we saw for 8 offensive innings with a very good result. Hopefully the approach is a bit better today and we can get a win. A little less hero swings and a little more productive at bats...getting runners on base and moving.

You can cherry pick losing 3 of 4, looking a bit more broad we are 10-6 this month including 4-2 against the cubs. That's pretty good.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our odds to win the division are 4.2% and our chances to make the postseason are 97.9%. We are twice as likely to win the division, but here we are worrying about the latest Brewers late season collapse.

This reminds me of when the offense has a big day, everyone freaks out like we have a juggernaut offense ready to break out, and then the next two days we score nothing...then we revert to needing CPR to get them through the rest of the season.

I hope we win and the Rockies lose because our magic # would get 1/4 of it cut off. Its that small and there is a reason our odds are at 98%.

By my completely unscientific calculations (which means guess estimate), I'd put the Brewer's chances of winning the division at 1% and the chances of making the postseason at 99.5%. But I'm biased, I don't think the Brewers are as good as the Cubs but I do think they are better than any of the other wild card contenders. I also think the remaining schedule is pretty favorable and see a bit of evening-up happening in the upcoming Pirate series. Hard for me to see a scenario where they play their way out of a wild card spot.

First time poster, not a brewer fan but not an azz either. Marquette grad and overall city of Milwaukee lover.

Assuming the brewers get a wild card, would Chacin be your choice for the one game series? Or Davies?

Hopefully Milwaukee can open a lead and manipulate the pitching rotatation the way they like. Nothing worse than having to use the studs to get into the wildcard game and then go with a number three pitcher. St. Louis and Colorado preferably stay neck and neck and use Mikolas and Freeland right before wild game card. I really hate the one game playoff, no one deserves to follow a team all year and have a three hour playoff series.

Good luck!

Could dig a Cousin's Ham and Cheese right about now.

First time poster, not a brewer fan but not an azz either. Marquette grad and overall city of Milwaukee lover.

Assuming the brewers get a wild card, would Chacin be your choice for the one game series? Or Davies?

Hopefully Milwaukee can open a lead and manipulate the pitching rotatation the way they like. Nothing worse than having to use the studs to get into the wildcard game and then go with a number three pitcher. St. Louis and Colorado preferably stay neck and neck and use Mikolas and Freeland right before wild game card. I really hate the one game playoff, no one deserves to follow a team all year and have a three hour playoff series.

Good luck!

A contingent of us including myself think we go Chacin but on a very very short leash...and that we see 2-3 inning stints from Jeffress and Hader, and maybe Burnes. We can feel free to use the elite bullpen arms for multiple innings as they'll all get a day off and be ready to pitch again in game 1...possibly game 2 for anybody that went more than 2 innings. But it's playoffs, I think CC will be more apt to push guys to pitch right away if the situation calls for it.

Counsell has done a really good job of keeping the bullpen rested so we don't have a lot of guys melting down like a lot of other bullpens on contenders. We are setup pretty well for heavy bullpen usage in the playoffs. Probably moreso than any other team in in the NL.

I must’ve missed people jumping off the ledge. I thought things were going pretty well around here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Counsell has done a really good job of keeping the bullpen rested so we don't have a lot of guys melting down like a lot of other bullpens on contenders. We are setup pretty well for heavy bullpen usage in the playoffs. Probably moreso than any other team in in the NL.

Being able to bring up all those guys for roster expansion is a huge benefit for a team like the Brewers who typically don't get long starts. It's also meant no one has been overused.

I think this team could surprise if it can get past the WC game.

Hope we can all back off the ledge after that nice win.

I think after that showing yesterday, the frustration was justified. They looked like a completely different team tonight. And Monday night, for that matter. Yesterday was a certified clunker, though. Can't afford many of those this time of year. That's why people were frustrated.

I think after that showing yesterday, the frustration was justified. They looked like a completely different team tonight. And Monday night, for that matter.

Welcome to baseball.

Yep ... baseball. The greatest, yet most frustrating game there is.

Imagine Cub fans tonight watching their "ace" Cole Hamels getting destroyed by the DBacks AAAA All-Stars, while the offense has one measly hit against Ray and Ziegler. The Cubs are one-upping the Brewers yet again ;)

The only thing that could really screw us is getting swept by the Cards. That's kind of the doomsday scenario that could put us on the road for the WC if we still made it.

1 out of 3 isn't ideal, but it would be a whole heck of a lot better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Good luck!

Welcome to the board.

Not sure about who starts a Wild Card game, but hit up this thread and people are talking about it.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37587

The only thing that could really screw us is getting swept by the Cards. That's kind of the doomsday scenario that could put us on the road for the WC if we still made it.

1 out of 3 isn't ideal, but it would be a whole heck of a lot better.

Obviously I want the Wild Card game played at Miller Park for a variety of reasons, but I was surprised today when I looked at previous National League Wild Card games that the road team is 4-2, including three straight wins from 2014-1016 in which the road team outscored the home team by a combined 15-0. American League Wild Card games are split between the home and road teams at 3 wins apiece.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think after that showing yesterday, the frustration was justified. They looked like a completely different team tonight. And Monday night, for that matter. Yesterday was a certified clunker, though. Can't afford many of those this time of year. That's why people were frustrated.

Sounds like baseball.

Sounds like baseball.

If it's completely random, why bother talking about it?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Good luck!

The flip flopped starters last week to line up Chacin to be the WC game starter.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Assuming the Brewers hold the #1 WC spot...

How about we start rooting for a Rockies-Cardinals tie for the second Wild Card and a Freeland-Mikolas tiebreaker the day before the Wild Card? Burn those two pitchers and the Brewers face Jon Gray, Tyler Anderson, Antonio Senzatela or German Marquez from the Rockies or Jack Flaherty, John Gant, Austin Gomber or Adam Wainwright from the Cardinals?

Of course with the devil magic, Wainwright will revert to prime Wainwright right before the postseason.

Man I hate that team :angry

Assuming the Brewers hold the #1 WC spot...

How about we start rooting for a Rockies-Cardinals tie for the second Wild Card and a Freeland-Mikolas tiebreaker the day before the Wild Card? Burn those two pitchers and the Brewers face Jon Gray, Tyler Anderson, Antonio Senzatela or German Marquez from the Rockies or Jack Flaherty, John Gant, Austin Gomber or Adam Wainwright from the Cardinals?

Of course with the devil magic, Wainwright will revert to prime Wainwright right before the postseason.

Man I hate that team :angry

I like the way you think! And now I want a Cousins Sub too.

Sorry if this has already been discussed and answered. However, I understand that the wild card team is automatically not the home team for the NLDS. Is that also true for the NLCS regardless of team records?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived