Brewer Fanatic

Wade Miley Eat Crow Thread

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Miley looks like a thug from the movie Roadhouse.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

wow the two pitchers they added in Miley and Chacin have turned out better than any other high price FA

Actually arrieta has been the best. He has been really good. However Chacin sure seems like the second best. Miley could be third. Maybe Hellickson. Maybe Cahill. But it hasn't been impressive. Look at this list

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agent-rankings-best-starting-pitchers-available-on-the-hot-stove-market/amp/

Let's revisit this in October...

I'm happy as hell for his success, but I am not able to pass judgement just yet.

If he throws a perfect game to win game 7 of the World series, then, and only then, will I consider I MIGHT have been wrong. No promises...! ;)

wow the two pitchers they added in Miley and Chacin have turned out better than any other high price FA

Actually arrieta has been the best. He has been really good. However Chacin sure seems like the second best. Miley could be third. Maybe Hellickson. Maybe Cahill. But it hasn't been impressive. Look at this list

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agent-rankings-best-starting-pitchers-available-on-the-hot-stove-market/amp/

I looked it up a few days ago after a conversation about this at work, but I believe at that point Fangraphs WAR at least had it Mikolas, Chacin, Arrieta, Cahill, in that order.

Actually arrieta has been the best. He has been really good. However Chacin sure seems like the second best.

If you include salary/contract, I think Mikolas and Chacin are right at the top, while Arrieta takes a hit because of his high salary. Definitely best value for the Chacin/Miley additions...

Thank god we didn't get close to the Cobb debacle and the belief he was just 1 pitch away from Cooperstown...

Thank god we didn't get close to the Cobb debacle and the belief he was just 1 pitch away from Cooperstown...

I'd add Archer in that sentance as well...Archer has not been Cobb bad, but he is not, and never was worth the price we'd have to pay to get him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd add Archer in that sentance as well...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd add Archer in that sentance as well...

Yep. There's a lot in Archer's metrics that indicate he is not going to be the pitcher he was and is not worth the risk... Could turn out well for the Pirates, but it is a really big gamble, especially when you have to use personnel assets and not just $ to acquire...

I would like to caution everyone, regardless of how his next outing goes, that you would do best in limiting your poultry consumption to chicken or turkey, unless you are an expert hunter and can bag a duck or pheasant in the appropriate season.

I'd warn against eating chicken. If you haven't heard, Coach Harbaugh is advising his players not to eat chicken because it's not good for humans. "Chicken is a nervous bird," he said. It's causing some sort of sickness in the human population, according to him. You can thank me later for warning you all. Better to eat Crow on Miley.

As for what he looks like, I think he looks like he should be sitting next to a mountain stream, with a deer hide jacket on, opening a can of Busch Light.

He's been really good. I still think he sucks though.

Yeah, I know that makes no sense.

Agreed. I wouldn't be counting on Miley to be an answer in the rotation for the entire remainder of the season. He's had a nice run but let's not get carried away.

I would like to caution everyone, regardless of how his next outing goes, that you would do best in limiting your poultry consumption to chicken or turkey, unless you are an expert hunter and can bag a duck or pheasant in the appropriate season.

I'd warn against eating chicken. If you haven't heard, Coach Harbaugh is advising his players not to eat chicken because it's not good for humans. "Chicken is a nervous bird," he said. It's causing some sort of sickness in the human population, according to him. You can thank me later for warning you all. Better to eat Crow on Miley.

As for what he looks like, I think he looks like he should be sitting next to a mountain stream, with a deer hide jacket on, opening a can of Busch Light.

I have been told by a reliable source in the IGT last night that Miley enjoys hunting a bear with his bare hands after a game and enjoying the fruits of his labor along with 6 baked potatoes.

Actually arrieta has been the best. He has been really good. However Chacin sure seems like the second best.

If you include salary/contract, I think Mikolas and Chacin are right at the top, while Arrieta takes a hit because of his high salary. Definitely best value for the Chacin/Miley additions...

Off topic but this had me comparing Arrieta and Chacin stats today, they are very similar yet Arrieta has a 2.1 and Chacin a 1.4 WAR. I am looking at ESPn which I think uses bWAR but in FIP Chacin is actually a little better. Just a question for advanced stats guys but I can't seem to find a difference in the stats that would explain the .7 WAR difference. Why does Chacin's WAR seem so low? His walks are a little high but he hasn't given up a ton of homers like Anderson and it isn't like Arrieta strikes out a ton.

Seems to be attribution of performances of the defense. Looking at BR, Jake has a -.69, and Chacin has a .8 for the team's defensive adjustment.

Thanks, I guess I thought pitcher WAR was heavily FIP weighed but I guess Broxton and Cain taking away HR's has to matter too. I was looking at BR before posing this knew I was missing something there and that was it.

He's been really good. I still think he sucks though.

Yeah, I know that makes no sense.

Prior to the great start last night, Miley walked 13 batters in only 22 innings.

If he keeps doing more of that instead of limiting walks like last night, it's only a matter of when those free passes start crossing the plate.

Walks have been Miley's biggest problem through out his career and it will likely determine whether he can be productive with the Brewers going forward.

I feel like you cold say similar for most of Stearns signing/trades. There wasn't a lot of positive reaction for Chacin, some very negative, and he's been pretty great.People scratching their head over the Moustakas trade as if Shaw can't play 2nd base. I think he'll be passable there. For years people saying Braun couldn't possibly play 1st base. Not saying he's great there, but it's not that big of a deal if he plays games there. Everyone was speculating Aguilar wouldn't make the team, did the Brewers ever hint this? Etc

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I feel like you cold say similar for most of Stearns signing/trades. There wasn't a lot of positive reaction for Chacin, some very negative, and he's been pretty great.People scratching their head over the Moustakas trade as if Shaw can't play 2nd base. I think he'll be passable there. For years people saying Braun couldn't possibly play 1st base. Not saying he's great there, but it's not that big of a deal if he plays games there. Everyone was speculating Aguilar wouldn't make the team, did the Brewers ever hint this? Etc

It seems skewed because the "misses" are often quickly jettisoned, ala Brad Miller. Others that fall into that category include Boone Logan and Neftali Feliz.

Archived