Brewer Fanatic

Free Nate Orf

My prediction is just like last year with Garrett Cooper, a team in contention is going go value Orf and offer Stearns an arm that will make 4 or 5 forgetful appearances in a Brewer uniform and never be heard from again. Meanwhile Orf will go on to become a useful player in the big leagues for the next 4 or 5 seasons.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's Garrett Cooper doing these days?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My prediction is just like last year with Garrett Cooper, a team in contention is going go value Orf and offer Stearns an arm that will make 4 or 5 forgetful appearances in a Brewer uniform and never be heard from again. Meanwhile Orf will go on to become a useful player in the big leagues for the next 4 or 5 seasons.

Exactly, both Orf and Wren should be included in that prediction. Neither will appear in a regular season game for the Brewers because they don't swing for the fences everytime they're at bat. Clearly, they do not fit in with this organizations profile of a productive major leaguer.

Cooper was the Marlins opening day right fielder, went on the 60 day DL with a wrist injury shortly after.

He made the Marlins roster to start the season, but was injured and hasn't come off the DL.

He was their opening day RF after a strong spring, got hit by a pitch in the wrist in the opening series against the Cubs (he's currently on the 60 day DL to make roster space) and is expected back at the end of May.

Orf update: He's now 22 for 45 in his last 10 games and is hitting .364 on the road. I don't care what level or where he's playing, those would be good numbers off a batting practice pitcher.

Here's my favorite Orf stat: With RISP, he's 15 for 27 (.556) and has a line of .556/.588/.852 for an OPS of 1.4440, It's incredible that with the big club struggling to score runs almost every night that they can dismiss numbers like that.

He made the Marlins roster to start the season, but was injured and hasn't come off the DL.

He was their opening day RF after a strong spring, got hit by a pitch in the wrist in the opening series against the Cubs (he's currently on the 60 day DL to make roster space) and is expected back at the end of May.

Orf update: He's now 22 for 45 in his last 10 games and is hitting .364 on the road. I don't care what level or where he's playing, those would be good numbers off a batting practice pitcher.

Here's my favorite Orf stat: With RISP, he's 15 for 27 (.556) and has a line of .556/.588/.852 for an OPS of 1.4440, It's incredible that with the big club struggling to score runs almost every night that they can dismiss numbers like that.

but...but... but... that's because he plays in Colorado Springs! I am so sick of that justification for not promoting Orf or Wren. If CS has that kind of effect why isn't Broxton batting .400? Oh that's right, you have to actually make contact first before the CS effect comes into play!

There is no reason other than complete incompetence for keeping Orf or Wren down! Phillips should be playing everyday at CS. Wren is exactly the type of 4th outfielder teams should have off their bench. Can play all three positions, has speed and makes contact, but since he's not a "3TO" type of player that most posters here have man crushes for, we are left we pinch hitters who simply cannot put the ball in play and are usually walking back to the dugout with their head down after striking out and everyone complains about "missed opportunities".

As far as Orf is concerned, your stats speak for themselves, he should have been the first one called up after the true Sogard showed himself. Instead, we get a steady diet of Perez, Franklin, and now, Saladino. For the record, despite himself, Villar should be starting everyday.

I have heard all the excuses, it's CS, it's lack of experience, the stat guys pointing out every number that they can find to justify why these two are not good enough of being on the roster, it's a 40 man numbers thing. The best one was, "if they were so good, they should have been chosen during rule 5, and since they weren't they are just not worthy of being in the majors."

The problem with Orf and Wren is they are just not "sexy" players. They are not going to human highlight reels, they are not going to hit tape measure home runs and nobody is going to buy a ticket to the game because they are playing. They are just the type of players that this team needs and to be honest, the type of players that the Cardinals always trot out and beat us over the head with.

Both Orf and Wren don't "DESERVE" to be promoted, they have "EARNED" it!

• 5 weeks later...

Orf has really been scuffling since what many of us perceived to be his near callup when Sogard went down. Nothing horrible, just nothing impressive for Colorado Springs anymore.

From a human standpoint, I stop and wonder how devastating that is to get oh so close to a callup and fall just short of the bigs, especially for a late 20s guy.

Of course, none of us know how close he really was. But the point is, he may never be as close again as he was.

I try not to forget, that while the best of the best at baseball are living it up making millions, there's many more than spend the younger part of their lives that make poverty wages and will leave this period of life with nothing to show for it.

Not to stay on my soapbox long, and I'm not trying to argue that MiLB wages should compare with MLB-- certainly, there should be motivation to achieve the pinnacle of your profession, but goodness, can a multi-billion dollar corporation at least find a way to pay all its professional players at the poverty level in the next CBA?

Community Moderator
Good post adambr2. At the height of the “free Orf” movement I noticed he was pretty much “liking” every tweet mentioning that he should be in the majors. I feel bad for him in the sense that he seemingly produced well enough over a long enough period of time to at least get a shot at the major league level. At this point it doesn’t appear overly likely his call-up will happen with the Brewers this season. I would be happy for him to get an opportunity with a different organization either later this year or next year.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I feel like it should be noted Nate Orf has always been old for his level (debuted in his 23 year old season). The only time he was not at the average age or higher was his short time at AAA in 2016 where he was complete garbage outside of Colorado.

He is like a lot of other guys who start out as an old guy in rookie ball. He puts up solid numbers his entire career, but then again he probably should if you are 23 in rookie ball.

I hope he eventually gets his chance, because many guys like him seem to get a shot. However, pretty understandable why he has not.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
His slump seemed to coincide with the acquisition of Saladino. I wonder if that left him feeling demotivated, like he's given his best but still didn't get an opportunity.

If he's that sensitive, I don't want him anywhere near the majors.

Orf has one tool - a decent single hitter. He is average to below average in every other facet of the game. Granted, hitting for average is important, but unless he can hit for a very high average in a hitter's paradise at AAA, he isn't going to see the majors. He's basically a AAAA guy at this point, but is also the type that would eventually end up with the Cardinals, and proceed to hit .315 out of their #2 hole for the next 5 years.

Orf has really been scuffling since what many of us perceived to be his near callup when Sogard went down. Nothing horrible, just nothing impressive for Colorado Springs anymore.

From a human standpoint, I stop and wonder how devastating that is to get oh so close to a callup and fall just short of the bigs, especially for a late 20s guy.

Of course, none of us know how close he really was. But the point is, he may never be as close again as he was.

I try not to forget, that while the best of the best at baseball are living it up making millions, there's many more than spend the younger part of their lives that make poverty wages and will leave this period of life with nothing to show for it.

Not to stay on my soapbox long, and I'm not trying to argue that MiLB wages should compare with MLB-- certainly, there should be motivation to achieve the pinnacle of your profession, but goodness, can a multi-billion dollar corporation at least find a way to pay all its professional players at the poverty level in the next CBA?

If this is a CBA issue, then wouldn't the responsibility actually fall on the players and their representation to negotiate better conditions for the minor league players?

If this is a CBA issue, then wouldn't the responsibility actually fall on the players and their representation to negotiate better conditions for the minor league players?

Most minor league players are not represented by the MLBPA. It's not in the MLBPA's interests to cash in bargaining power on players it doesn't represent.

Most minor league players are not represented by the MLBPA. It's not in the MLBPA's interests to cash in bargaining power on players it doesn't represent.

Which is the problem, MiLB players end up stuck in the middle with no one that really cares about them. It's not a priority to either side, so every CBA they fight over the enormous pieces of the multi-billion dollar pie and then throw crumbs at the MiLB players.

• 1 year later...

orlando arcia is taking some time off for the birth of his twins. tyler saladino is injured and can't be recalled to play. mike moustakas still can't grip a bat. keston hirua is still on the injured list and not ready to return.

will the brewers free nate orf? .272 / .399 / .410 with san antonio this year, and he has big league experience (albeit limited).

orlando arcia is taking some time off for the birth of his twins. tyler saladino is injured and can't be recalled to play. mike moustakas still can't grip a bat. keston hirua is still on the injured list and not ready to return.

will the brewers free nate orf? .272 / .399 / .410 with san antonio this year, and he has big league experience (albeit limited).

Honestly, the only options really are Orf, Jake Hager, or stealing someone like Hinojosa or Aviles from the AA team.

or ...

Craig Counsell, player-manager!

I guess, at this point just activate Saladino and have him go to the 60 day IL and put Orf on the 40 man. Orf is then first to get DFA after the season but gets MLB pay for a few weeks and maybe another playoff share if he is lucky. It is not worth losing somebody on the 40 man for Orf though.

I guess, at this point just activate Saladino and have him go to the 60 day IL and put Orf on the 40 man.

considering that saladino is out of options for 2020, the club is more likely to dfa saladino than recall him and pay him big league money to sit on the 60-day injured list.

Honestly, the only options really are Orf, Jake Hager, or stealing someone like Hinojosa or Aviles from the AA team.

or ...

Options are Perez and worst case scenario Spangenberg. Not Orf or any of those other guys.

or ...

Options are Perez and worst case scenario Spangenberg. Not Orf or any of those other guys.

Not when the question is "Who can they pull up from the minors for middle infield coverage while Arcia is on Paternity Leave?" I thought that was the implied question. There was no way dj was advocating bring up Orf and starting him at SS.

I don't read it that way, but fair enough. He mentioned Moose, Saladino, etc. not being available, how about Orf? Question wasn't who to bring up from the minors, sounds like who can play ss with Arcia out. Just sayin'.

Moose and Hiura wouldn't be playing SS unless it was an absolute emergency, though. I would think finding a 40-man spot for one of those minors guys would be the preference over giving those guys any time at SS. They probably just need a body to cover middle infield innings until Arcia comes back against the Cardinals. Or perhaps they just tough it out with the guys they have.

Yeah I don't think anybody was advocating Orf at SS. Just right now there is pretty much no infield depth if Moose, Hiura and Arcia are all gone. Shaw/Spangenberg/Perez have to start and hope nobody gets hurt or ejected. If one of those happens then may grant the wish of some and finally see Braun in the infield again. The Brewers probably should bring in an infielder even if the player is from outside and wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.

Archived