Brewer Fanatic

Drake DFA....Miley activated Update: Drake traded to CLE for cash

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I feel sad for The Drake.

But I get over it pretty quick. An interesting player who may have some good years in him (or not). I just see an erratic guy who has limited upside.

The key is we have better options.

Drake probably made a couple million bucks being a dreadful pitcher and he's in his early 30s. Even if he doesn't make another dime, he's probably borderline set for life if he's smart with his money.

This might be the first time ever that bf.net is unanimously in agreement with a move made by Brewers management.

I feel sad for The Drake.

But I get over it pretty quick. An interesting player who may have some good years in him (or not). I just see an erratic guy who has limited upside.

The key is we have better options.

We are quickly approaching a point where Suter and Williams may get optioned when Knebel and Logan return...because we have an awful lot of good options. Drake was probably the 15th or 16th best relief pitcher in the system prior to DFA.

While I didn't really like Drake he wasn't used high leverage much this year. I really hope the Brewers did find a mechanical flaw because Miley starting and pitching awful is worse than Drake pitching some meaningless innings. With Miley's guaranteed money can't see him starting any less than 5 games.

I almost feel sort of sad, because rallying around how bad Drake is turned out to be a great unifier for this board.

I wonder if that is some sort of Stockholm Syndrome?

Looking at some of the horrible relief pitching in MLB this year, something tells me Drake isn't going to clear. They might even be able to trade him for some organizational soldier type.

Will he clear waivers? ugh, if that happens . . .

drake has never been outrighted to the minors before, so if he clears waivers, he'd be forced to accept the minor league assignment and would stay in the organization.

he could be 2017 rob scahill. a 40-man spot will likely open when stephen vogt is activated, but then will be needed when jimmy nelson returns.

If they catch lightening in a bottle with Miley starting, he might be a great flip candidate to a team that needs a starter to log innings (contender not required) when the time comes for Nelson to return a bit later this season - assuming continued health and successes of the other current starters. I agree this won't be a 1-2 start audition before dfa-ing Miley, otherwise he wasn't worth playing roster roulette with the 40 man to keep him around while he rehabbed that injury.

Hope he's good, and I actually hope Drake hooks on with another team elsewhere...there really shouldn't be a spot for him in AAA with logan close to returning should he clear waivers.

I almost feel sort of sad, because rallying around how bad Drake is turned out to be a great unifier for this board.

Looking at some of the horrible relief pitching in MLB this year, something tells me Drake isn't going to clear. They might even be able to trade him for some organizational soldier type.

Agreed, looking back at his 11 appearances this year, he had 2 blow ups and 1 so-so, other than those he was decent. The one time i saw him this year, 4/2 Cardinals, I thought he was very effective. Having said that, does he belong on the Brewers? No, this team has much better options, but some team like the Reds, Marlins or KC, he would be a huge upgrade over what they have now. So Oliver, thank you for your time here and thank you for your service to this country. Good Luck!

Agreed, looking back at his 11 appearances this year, he had 2 blow ups and 1 so-so, other than those he was decent. The one time i saw him this year, 4/2 Cardinals, I thought he was very effective. Having said that, does he belong on the Brewers? No, this team has much better options, but some team like the Reds, Marlins or KC, he would be a huge upgrade over what they have now. So Oliver, thank you for your time here and thank you for your service to this country. Good Luck!

@Todd_Rosiak- 10 hours ago

Counsell on the DFA of Oliver Drake: "He had really one outing that cost him all the runs, just a rough inning. But he had probably nine very effective outings. We're at the point with the roster and with the bullpen that we're kind of out of moves, so unfortunately it's Oliver."

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can get on board with all of this. I hope he catches on elsewhere and I think he will. We just have too many good options to keep him now.

Don't worry. I'm fully confident in this board's ability to find another whipping boy.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Don't worry. I'm fully confident in this board's ability to find another whipping boy.

I nominate sogard for tribute.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Jacob Barnes is still on the roster...

We have a bullpen with six pitchers having dominant starts to the season, this is literally a team with a bad lineup and mediocre rotation that's 18-13 because of the great bullpen work. Yet people complain about relievers.

Archived