Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-30: Brewers (Chacín) at Reds (Finnegan) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-5; historic night for Hader -- Save, 2.2 IP & 8 K!]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You're top pitching prospect should not be your middle reliever. It's that simple. They're just wsting his talent.

That's just not true any more.

Yes it is. He should be a starter, they’re using him the best way if they are going to make him a reliever but it’s not maximizing his potential value.

This I agree with. Making him the closer I do not.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're top pitching prospect should not be your middle reliever. It's that simple. They're just wsting his talent.

Yes it is. He should be a starter, they’re using him the best way if they are going to make him a reliever but it’s not maximizing his potential value.

I think he was saying it isn't true that your best pitching prospect shouldn't be your middle reliever...

I think he was saying it isn't true that your best pitching prospect shouldn't be your middle reliever...

My bad. I was just agreeing with wasting talent part.

I no longer agree that Hader would be more valuable as a starter. He can be used in almost any situation and could give us 100 of some of the most valuable innings we have all season. I would much rather have that than 170 random innings every 5 days.

He is perfect for the role he is in and is very valuable for us in what he does. He is not being used as a 'middle reliever.'

2+ inning save for the crew, has to be a while since that happened

I guess not that long, our last one was last year, also against the Reds, with Tommy Milone pitching the final 3 inning for a blow out mop up save. Not sure on the last non-blowout game

I no longer agree that Hader would be more valuable as a starter. He can be used in almost any situation and could give us 100 of some of the most valuable innings we have all season. I would much rather have that than 170 random innings every 5 days.

He is perfect for the role he is in and is very valuable for us in what he does. He is not being used as a 'middle reliever.'

170 innings of even 4ish ERA pitching is more valuable than what the best relievers usually do every year. Trevor Bauer as example was 176IP of 4.19 ERA 10 k/9, which is a fair Hader comp and that was worth 3.2 WAR, only 2 relief pitchers topped that last year (Kimbrel at 3.3 and Jansen at 3.6). He doesn’t even need to be that great as a starter to provide more value than a reliever.

Looks like our last 2+ inning save in a non-blowout mop up game was Todd Coffey who got the final 8 outs against the Mets on 4-19-2009. He entered the game when the score was 3-2. Embarrassingly for Coffey, he only got 1 strikeout and needed his defense to help with the other 7 outs.

First time since 1996 that a pitcher got a save with 8 K’s in the save (Randy Johnson), however he did it in 3 innings and Hader did it in 2.2. Hader is the first pitcher in MLB history to get an 8 K save in under 3 innings. And just like Randy Johnson (and Chris Sale), Hader should hopefully be converted from dominant reliever to dominant starter and the Brewers would be foolish not to try and do this.

First time since 1996 that a pitcher got a save with 8 K’s in the save (Randy Johnson), however he did it in 3 innings and Hader did it in 2.2. Hader is the first pitcher in MLB history to get an 8 K save in under 3 innings. And just like Randy Johnson (and Chris Sale), Hader should hopefully be converted from dominant reliever to dominant starter and the Brewers would be foolish not to try and do this.

Wow that's a quality stat, and I also totally agree with your final sentence there.

170 innings of even 4ish ERA pitching is more valuable than what the best relievers usually do every year. Trevor Bauer as example was 176IP of 4.19 ERA 10 k/9, which is a fair Hader comp and that was worth 3.2 WAR, only 2 relief pitchers topped that last year (Kimbrel at 3.3 and Jansen at 3.6). He doesn’t even need to be that great as a starter to provide more value than a reliever.

WAR is horribly flawed for pitchers, even worse for relievers. So much information missing. If you would rather have Josh Hader as a 4 ERA starter than doing what he's doing in the role he is in now I would highly urge you to reconsider how you're using and evaluating WAR.

Junior Guerra who didn't have a spot in the rotation a few weeks ago can probably give you 170 innings of a 4 ERA. The only way you ever consider moving Hader to the rotation is to find out if he can be the next Chris Sale, not to get Jhoulys Chacin production.

I'd rather have Hader pitching and being dominant in the role he is right now. He may very well be a great starter, but if he'd been starting yesterday, what good would that have done when the offense doesn't score any runs? THAT would be a waste.

I cannot believe that everyone's reaction to this performance is just "Why isn't he in the rotation?!?!"

Hader is awesome at what he does and he's winning games at what he does. The lines between starter and reliever are becoming more and more blurred and will continue to be so. Hader himself believes this is the role he can best excel.

I cannot fathom why anyone who has watched Hader help us win games the way he has this year would think for a second that he's being "wasted".

Wow that's a quality stat, and I also totally agree with your final sentence there.

Saw another stat that said Hader is the first pitcher to record 8 outs in a game in which every out recorded was a strikeout

Hader only needed a catcher on the field for defense, 2+ inning save for the crew, has to be a while since that happened

They get 3 inning saves from time to time, I'd be surprised if it isn't at least once a year. It is just a goofy rule since saves is just some made up stat someone who wasn't a part of MLB made up randomly.

Archived