Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-29: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Chatwood) 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-0]

Eye Black

Nick Kingham just lost his perfect game bid against the Cardinals in his MLB debut. Kid went 6 2/3 perfect innings before giving up a ground ball single to Paul DeJong.

Curious who has the longest perfect start to their first start. Maybe Kingham?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to think that being shut out by the same team 5 times in a single month would be an MLB record at least in the modern era. I can't imagine any team has ever been shut out 6 times by one team in a month.

Counsell said something today along the lines of 100 PA is a large enough sample size to start making some changes. You have to think the writing is on the wall for guys like Sogard/Perez.

Pina probably gets some more time, Bandy will go when Vogt is ready and we'll see how that pans out. Nottingham is hitting .400 at AAA so would imagine he'll be back up at some point but probably not until midseason barring injury.

Nate Orf would be a good choice to take Perez's spot as he can play just about anywhere Perez can. I'd bring up Choi also for Sogard, at least until Vogt comes up and gives you a lefty option off the bench.

I have to think that being shut out by the same team 5 times in a single month would be an MLB record at least in the modern era. I can't imagine any team has ever been shut out 6 times by one team in a month.

Pretty sad when Counsell has to play the infield in during a scoreless game in the 5th inning.

Brewers record (non Cubs) 15-6

Brewers record (Cubs) 1-6

Brewers record vs. last place teams 11-1

Brewers record vs. everyone else 5-11

Well yeah, a good team should have that record against last place team but yes, they eventually need to beat a good team to be considered good themselves.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Man.. that dang wind is getting this Brewers offense again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Curious who has the longest perfect start to their first start. Maybe Kingham?

Good question, tough to research without a bbref play index subscription.

He did just edge out the famous debutof Juan Marichal who tossed a 1 hit, 1 BB 12 K shutout to start his career. The perfecto was lost after 6 1/3 by an error. I also found this gem of a debut from Jimmy Jones, 9IP 1 H 0 BB to start his career, although the hit was a 3rd inning triple by the opposing pitcher.

Any type of hit here puts this one out of reach.

Edit: even that should do it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived