Brewer Fanatic

Offensive Woes

pacopete4
As someone already mentioned its the 3-5 in the lineup that hasn’t brought them home, and yes, RBIs matter.

Braun and Shaw have 19 RBI's which would put them on pace for 83 each for a 162 games just based on the number of games we have played so far, not their individual games played.

Thames had 13 RBI's in 22 games and if you put that over a full season, it would be about 96 RBI's.

Santana, on the other hand, has 8 RBI's and would be about 35 total for an entire 162 game season. He needs to heat up and stay how to make up for his horrendous start.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone already mentioned its the 3-5 in the lineup that hasn’t brought them home, and yes, RBIs matter.

Braun(.360 RISP) and Shaw(.212 RISP) have 19 RBI's which would put them on pace for 83 each for a 162 games just based on the number of games we have played so far, not their individual games played.

Thames had 13 RBI's in 22 games and if you put that over a full season, it would be about 96 RBI's.

Santana(.208 RISP), on the other hand, has 8 RBI's and would be about 35 total for an entire 162 game season. He needs to heat up and stay how to make up for his horrendous start.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd say I'm a bit surprised Pina hasn't done better. I know he's not a great hitter or anything, but I expected better than this at least in the ballpark of last year. It didn't seem fluky to me, he made a lot of hard contact imo. Basically, I thought he'd be competent/ok rather than terrible like he's been. More or less the same for Arcia, but this doesn't surprise me much as I thought his hot spell last year was fluky and inflated by lucky bloopers. Still, thought he'd improve to make up some of that. Change those two from terrible to serviceable and it does make a significant difference to the depth of the offense.

Arcia is not the problem. Everyone knew he would be a marginal hitter this season. Yea, he hasn't even been that yet but he will be. You may not like the excuse, but he is still very young.

The fault lies with the big bats. The top 5 in the order is where most of the runs should be coming from. Thames injury doesn't help, and Braun/Santana/Shaw all need to produce more than they have. Even Cain/Yelich haven't set the world on fire. Can't say they've had a bad year at the plate so far, just sort of meh.

That's the main reason they're not scoring more runs, the big bats need to carry the load. That said, a black hole in the line-up after the 5 spot doesn't exactly help the cause.

Cain and Yelich weren't brought in to be "big bats," they were brought in to be all around players who could get on base at the top of the order. Cain is .037 OBP points above his career avg and .013 SLG points above his career avg. Yelich is .002 OBP points below his career avg and .021 SLG points above his career average. Other than Yelich getting hurt for a bit, they are doing as well as anyone should have expected of them.

You are correct sir. Without looking up the numbers, just "seemed" like they were both off their career numbers a little more than that. As you've pointed out they're pretty much right on them.

Braun and Shaw have 19 RBI's which would put them on pace for 83 each for a 162 games just based on the number of games we have played so far, not their individual games played.

Santana, on the other hand, has 8 RBI's and would be about 35 total for an entire 162 game season. He needs to heat up and stay how to make up for his horrendous start.

83 RBIs is pathetic for a 3/4 hitter playing 162 games with two guys above them on base like Cain and Yelich.

83 RBIs is pathetic for a 3/4 hitter playing 162 games with two guys above them on base like Cain and Yelich.

Yelich missed over ten games so far.

Key point missed there for Braun. He won't play 162 games. 83 is pretty good for the 125 games he's probably on about pace for. I think someone else said his BA with RISP is like .360 or .380. That's about the one area we can't complain about him much so far (thus the game winning hits).

Top of the order has not had a productive series, it happens. It's not Luke they're losing these games 9-0.

If you don’t score any runs I’m not sure what difference it makes if you’re losing 9-0 or 1-0. They’re not good enough offensively, that’s the point.

This team is really struggling against left handed pitchers. We have a .204 BA and a .623 OPS against lefties. That's just awful.

It's just weird for so man guys to go into the tank at once.

It's even more weird because Aguilar, Santana, Braun, and probably Cain should be feasting on LHP.

Might it somewhat be that we've faced a disproportionately good set of LHP, many of which were benefiting from the "book isn't out on them yet" advantage?

Lucchesi - good young pitcher, MLB debut

Lester

Quintana x2 - Owns us, wind blowing in @Wrigley for one of them

Matz - hit him pretty well

Carson Smith - First time seeing him, promising pitcher

Kingham - First time seeing him, promising pitcher

Matz in his later days of decreased velocity and lack of slider is basically the only pitcher there that I'd have a good feeling about knocking around.

Just trying to figure it out, because we should be smoking lefties.

Pounding out 12 hits last night will hopefully be a sign of coming out of this funk. We also hit several other balls right on the screws.

Top of the order has not had a productive series, it happens. It's not Luke they're losing these games 9-0.

If you don’t score any runs I’m not sure what difference it makes if you’re losing 9-0 or 1-0. They’re not good enough offensively, that’s the point.

My comment was directed at the Cubs series specifically. In response to those saying how the Cubs have the Brewers number, just can't compete with the Cubs, etc. So my point was, yes, they got swept but it's not like the Cubs blew them out. They were in all the games.

Pounding out 12 hits last night will hopefully be a sign of coming out of this funk. We also hit several other balls right on the screws.

As has been battled on this board with about 10 prospects discussed from Colorado Springs, the Rockies play in similar conditions. I'm glad we got the hits, but if we hit the ball all over Coors, I'm not calling it a cure for our ailments.

As has been battled on this board with about 10 prospects discussed from Colorado Springs, the Rockies play in similar conditions. I'm glad we got the hits, but if we hit the ball all over Coors, I'm not calling it a cure for our ailments.

Eh, sometimes you just need something to get you going and maybe swatting it around in Colorado will do just that.

Fellas, long time listener, first time caller. for the life of me I am unable to figure out as to why they are ok with not trying something new on the back side of the roster year after year. If you want to be a championship caliber team, act like one. No sense in trotting out a Franklin, Sogard, Drake, when there are high upside youngsters capable of AT LEAST the same production. You might find a diamond in the rough, and solve some offensive woes along the way. This year they have at least shown the desire to improve the team , but the amount of time it takes... is sometimes frustrating. As a longtime fan since a child, albeit it only 34 years, to have this much talent, but continue to be ok with folks that can't hit out of a paper bag (with no upside) is UGGGH.

Let Villar have a true shot, or dump him. Franklin, just let him get lost somewhere... we don't need to try him again. Lets see what Orf has to offer.... and why is Jett Bandy a better option than the other AAA catchers? I know this has been talked about 100 times, but... just... why...

I think expecting things to get better without changing anything.. is insanity by definition , isn't it?

Arcia was brought up before his bat was ready in order to spur fan interest by bringing up the team's Top Prospect during a rebuild. I'd be fine with sending him down to refine his approach, but all that would do is open up the everyday SS position for Perez or Sogard, and that's not an answer. That would really be a move to help future teams at the expense of this year. I'm fine with that, but I don't think that's where management is right now.

I like JosephC's idea of batting Villar 9th in an effort to get someone on base in front of the few consistent bats we have in the lineup.

This offseason, many posters thought it odd that Stearns built a team that would have good hitters sitting on the bench every day while subpar players would be on the field every day. That was countered with praise for the options the team would have with all of their "depth." That result has been that good hitters are sitting on the bench while management shuffles subpar players around the field and between the majors and minors in a futile effort to find someone who can do anything positive. It's fun watching Cain and Yelich play, but it's no surprise that Villar/Sogard/Perez are not the answer when they were the problem last year.

But every time I'm seeing Arcia's name in a box score, it's a flashback to the 1980s, where I see Jim Gantner at second base EVERY GOSH-DARN DAY - when the Crew should have been getting more offense from Riles or someone else. Juan Castillo didn't hit much better, but added some steals, and Mike Felder played some second base.

But it was Gantner. EVERY DAY.

I just worry it's costing the team wins.

Fellas, long time listener, first time caller. for the life of me I am unable to figure out as to why they are ok with not trying something new on the back side of the roster year after year. If you want to be a championship caliber team, act like one. No sense in trotting out a Franklin, Sogard, Drake, when there are high upside youngsters capable of AT LEAST the same production. You might find a diamond in the rough, and solve some offensive woes along the way. This year they have at least shown the desire to improve the team , but the amount of time it takes... is sometimes frustrating. As a longtime fan since a child, albeit it only 34 years, to have this much talent, but continue to be ok with folks that can't hit out of a paper bag (with no upside) is UGGGH.

Let Villar have a true shot, or dump him. Franklin, just let him get lost somewhere... we don't need to try him again. Lets see what Orf has to offer.... and why is Jett Bandy a better option than the other AAA catchers? I know this has been talked about 100 times, but... just... why...

I think expecting things to get better without changing anything.. is insanity by definition , isn't it?

Drake - yes, there were some MLB caliber young guys behind him and maybe they waited a few weeks too long or never should've had him on the roster this year.

Who are these high-upside guys you speak of behind Franklin, Sogard, etc? Hiura is not really an option yet for reasons discussed like his arm injury.

I agree with giving Villar a bit more of a role, but beyond that, we don't have a ton of upside...and Villar has not exactly done much with it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Arcia was brought up before his bat was ready in order to spur fan interest by bringing up the team's Top Prospect during a rebuild. I'd be fine with sending him down to refine his approach, but all that would do is open up the everyday SS position for Perez or Sogard, and that's not an answer. That would really be a move to help future teams at the expense of this year. I'm fine with that, but I don't think that's where management is right now.

I like JosephC's idea of batting Villar 9th in an effort to get someone on base in front of the few consistent bats we have in the lineup.

This offseason, many posters thought it odd that Stearns built a team that would have good hitters sitting on the bench every day while subpar players would be on the field every day. That was countered with praise for the options the team would have with all of their "depth." That result has been that good hitters are sitting on the bench while management shuffles subpar players around the field and between the majors and minors in a futile effort to find someone who can do anything positive. It's fun watching Cain and Yelich play, but it's no surprise that Villar/Sogard/Perez are not the answer when they were the problem last year.

But every time I'm seeing Arcia's name in a box score, it's a flashback to the 1980s, where I see Jim Gantner at second base EVERY GOSH-DARN DAY - when the Crew should have been getting more offense from Riles or someone else. Juan Castillo didn't hit much better, but added some steals, and Mike Felder played some second base.

But it was Gantner. EVERY DAY.

I just worry it's costing the team wins.

Who would you put at SS? With Dubon down, there is no solid defensive options that are likely to provide anything better than what Arcia does. Perez is a major step down defensively, and not much if anything of an offensive upgrade. Orf isn't a SS. Saladino is supposed to be able to pick it at SS, but he'd never been much with the stick.

Arcia is not costing this team wins. Period.

sorry... high(er) upside as in Orf even... Dubon was much higher upside since ST even than Sogard, of course him getting hurt sucks!!!

Nottingham and Bethancourt both higher upside than Bandy....

Knowing full well Hiura is far off, let alone, can he do anything but DH at this point? Wish we could play that old Base Wars on Nintendo and purchase him a hyper shoulder or something so he can actually be a full player!

I just don't know if the "grinder wily old vet who knows how to... idk... somehow stick" is really what we should be focusing on now and holding on to so tightly (even in a rebuild still, which let's be honest, we still are).

sorry... high(er) upside as in Orf even... Dubon was much higher upside since ST even than Sogard, of course him getting hurt sucks!!!

I don't know if anyone in baseball believes that Orf is higher upside than any of the current guys we have out there. Might be an explanation.

I don't think Dubon is very high upside either but he might've gotten a shot before the injury.

I don't know if anyone in baseball believes that Orf is higher upside than any of the current guys we have out there. Might be an explanation.

I don't think Dubon is very high upside either but he might've gotten a shot before the injury.

Maybe? Can I have maybe better than Franklin or Sogard? It just hurts to see those were our go to 1 and 2 options for the back of the roster...

Now that I think about it, maybe its not that they actually are the back of the roster, but how CC uses them..... so .. darn... much....

Like your namesake though, what's Bill Hall up to now days?... I bet he still would be a better option than Sogard or Franklin... lol. *especially this weekend...*

Heck if we are looking at retread vets... why not look at JJ Hardy? He could outhit Franklin and Sogard and brings D to the table (or always has)...

Bring back JJ. People could then unretire their shirzies that are probably too small for them now.

Edit: JJ Has been pretty terrible as of late so my vote is for Rickie Weeks to regain his crown at 2B.

Bring back JJ. People could then unretire their shirzies that are probably too small for them now.

Edit: JJ Has been pretty terrible as of late so my vote is for Rickie Weeks to regain his crown at 2B.

LOL!!

Although, JJ even "terrible" is much better than some of the IF depth we have.... jussssst saying :)

How many different threads are we using to discuss 2B? It's a very weak position in MLB, even compared to normal low standards for middle infielders. I don't see the point of complaining about it when nobody has offered a good alternative.

Braun and Santana are the guys we should be talking about because they've been putrid and, more importantly, it wouldn't be as hard to upgrade. Phillips should easily be able to OPS over .700 (Braun's at a whopping .703 - still the best hitter on the team when healthy) and be a much better defender than either of them. Heck, Choi would probably be better. And outfielders might be easier to acquire in a trade.

Archived