Brewer Fanatic

Offensive Woes

pacopete4
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lucroy "seems" like a perfect fit but stearns gave it a hard no when he was still a free agent in march.

there must be some sort of animosity by lucroy or stearns bc it looked like a good deal for us.

he is hitting .281 and has an OBP of .348.

they almost certainly wouldnt ask much for him and losing vogt makes for a serious need at catcher

Maldonado definitely has a more going for him defensively, so I'm ok with people dialing that trade up as a loss. But it's certainly not a big one, nor would it solve our offensive woes to have skipped it.

This. A trade in which the biggest asset you gave up is Martin Maldonado cannot pretty much by definition be defined as horrible.

Maldonado is fine. He would have been a better backup than Bandy sure, but you'd still be looking to upgrade. The biggest factor in the deal was unloading a mediocre backup who was about to get more expensive in arbitration. Maldonado is making $4M from the Angel's, would you even want to give him that as a FA?

I’ll say it... Yelich needs to do better. Get it going man.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’ll say it... Yelich needs to do better. Get it going man.

He's mainly just been really bad vs lefties, a sub-.600 OPS.

Over his career Yelich is only a .700 OPS guy vs lefties, but not terrible as he's been so far.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On May 21 of 2017 Arcia's line was .230/.277/.637

From that day forward to the end of the year he went .293/.340/.422

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Are you predicting a similar run for him the remainder of this year?

He seems totally lost and stuck in a see ball, hit ball approach.

He'd have to hit with a .762 OPS for 45 games to get his OPS to .637... If he was hitting 0.637 nobody would be on his case, but so far he is way way down from last year and as JimH pointed out he is absolutely lost at the plate. Saladino needs to get more starts while Orlando gets some tutoring... or a demotion...

Just sayin' the guy started cold and went on a prolonged binge of above average success.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Would they consider sending Arcia down to get things worked out and ride Saladino for a while?

I don't see any downside to that. Saladino is playing great, while Arcia has been among the least valuable players in baseball this year.

If the Brewers are going to make a serious run this year, I don't think Saladino is the answer, but Arcia doesn't deserve to play ahead of him right now. And a trip to the minors could spark a change for the better.

Would they consider sending Arcia down to get things worked out and ride Saladino for a while?

I don't see any downside to that. Saladino is playing great, while Arcia has been among the least valuable players in baseball this year.

If the Brewers are going to make a serious run this year, I don't think Saladino is the answer, but Arcia doesn't deserve to play ahead of him right now. And a trip to the minors could spark a change for the better.

If the team did at least give Saladino a number of more starts to see if he can keep hitting, it's not as if they'd lose much if anything defensively given he's a very skilled shortstop.

If the Brewers are going to make a serious run this year, Arcia needs to be hitting and playing solid SS. I am starting to come around to the idea that a couple weeks to a month in Colorado Springs might be the key to doing that. If he can go down to AAA, and rediscover his stroke and more importantly, his plate discipline, he can hopefully come back up in July and be the SS the team is going to need.

If the Brewers are going to make a serious run this year, Arcia needs to be hitting and playing solid SS. I am starting to come around to the idea that a couple weeks to a month in Colorado Springs might be the key to doing that. If he can go down to AAA, and rediscover his stroke and more importantly, his plate discipline, he can hopefully come back up in July and be the SS the team is going to need.

I agree 100% but I don't think that is very likely, unfortunately. Just doesn't seem like a Brewers move, even if it's a no brainer! He really does need that sort of wake up call though, I believe. Up there he looks so lost, he's moving his feet all over with every pitch. Just looks super uncomfortable. Defensively , yes, he is a STUD. But, to be a playoff team, can you have a Pina hitting around .200 with the occasional pop, Arcia trying hard to get under .200, and a pitcher at the bottom of the order?

There's no cookie-cutter approach for a struggling hitter. Obviously Arcia needs to improve. I'm just not so sure a trip to the minors is the best route. Sending him down may actually reinforce his bad habits, especially if he goes to CS.

Maybe a better approach is to play Saladino more, and continue working with Arcia in the cage. It's not sexy, but it's possible just being with the MLB team, working with coaches that have been with him the last couple years is the way to go.

I think when a player's confidence is suffering, a trip to the minors to get the bat going is usually a good idea. Arcia does not lack confidence, safe to say. I would try sitting him for 2-3 days at a time, then playing him 2-3 days, and hope/wait for him to start hitting. Pretty much what they did down the stretch last year too.

Saladino may get a few more at-bats but I can't imagine them moving Arcia out of a regular spot. He's so valuable defensively and we have seen those pay dividends already this year with our pitching and defense. There is a reason we are off to the best start in franchise history and it isn't because we have big boppers like previous Brewers teams.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived