Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

That would be a steep price to pay (re: Woodruff, Peralta, Ray), but I think the Brewers would have to consider it given the incredible boost it would provide their lineup.

Definitely a steep price but it is far less than what the Orioles would be expecting for the return for Machado. Giving up Woodruff and Peralta would hurt but if you said this would be the package it would take to get Machado last year it would have been laughed at even during the off season. I believe the Orioles are looking for more but I just don't see a team out there that is going to give up more than one top 75-100 type prospect for Machado.

As long as the offer for Machado exceeds their compensation draft pick, the O's will take the best offer out there. It's as simple as that. I don't think any team dealing for him as a rental has any greater shot at him when he becomes a FA. The FA market for him has lots of variables. Most of the big market teams are wary of exceeding the luxury tax threshold as it gets more punitive if exceeded in consecutive years.

As for his trade market, the AL playoff teams look virtually set right now so none may see the need to unload top prospects for a bat. That leaves teams in the NL West and Central as most likely bidders. The Dodgers seem the most likely destination. Taylor's been decent for them at SS, but he can move to OF if Manny joins Dodgers.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a steep price to pay (re: Woodruff, Peralta, Ray), but I think the Brewers would have to consider it given the incredible boost it would provide their lineup.

Definitely a steep price but it is far less than what the Orioles would be expecting for the return for Machado. Giving up Woodruff and Peralta would hurt but if you said this would be the package it would take to get Machado last year it would have been laughed at even during the off season. I believe the Orioles are looking for more but I just don't see a team out there that is going to give up more than one top 75-100 type prospect for Machado.

As long as the offer for Machado exceeds their compensation draft pick, the O's will take the best offer out there. It's as simple as that. I don't think any team dealing for him as a rental has any greater shot at him when he becomes a FA. The FA market for him has lots of variables. Most of the big market teams are wary of exceeding the luxury tax threshold as it gets more punitive if exceeded in consecutive years.

As for his trade market, the AL playoff teams look virtually set right now so none may see the need to unload top prospects for a bat. That leaves teams in the NL West and Central as most likely bidders. The Dodgers seem the most likely destination. Taylor's been decent for them at SS, but he can move to OF if Manny joins Dodgers.

The comp pick value is likely meaningless, he'll go to the highest bidder...the bidding should absolutely be higher than comp value pick...and if it isn't then he damn well better be a Brewer.

I see the Cardinals, Brewers, Dodgers, and Braves(3b) as likeliest contenders with the Phillies and possibly Dbacks as potential fits as well for Manny. And with Manny, there are really only a couple teams that couldn't shift someone around so Manny could play full time for 2 months.

If your the O's, would you take less of a return if someone took Davis off your Hands?

If I'm getting good prospect offers from other teams, no. If I'm not getting very good prospect offers from any team but one team is willing to take on Davis, yes.

If your the O's, would you take less of a return if someone took Davis off your Hands?

I don't think that's a good idea, especially this year considering the luxury tax cap. In a normal year, that still reduces the teams to maybe 5 or 6 that can take on that contract. I'm not sure a team would pay that contract for 2 months of machado...regardless of the prospect return.

You could try to attach maybe 5-10 million in bad contracts to machado if money mattered, but not Davis.

The Orioles shouldn't be spending money for the next 4 or 5 years. Getting rid of Davis' contract does pretty much nothing to help them in the long run. But since it's the Orioles they will probably package Manny and Davis' full contract for a couple marginal prospects or major league roster filler to keep up their delusions of being competitive.

Does the addition of Machado really even put us ahead of the Cubs for the remainder of the season? Yes, it certainly helps our lineup significantly, but our rotation would still fall well below what Chicago can throw out every single day. So, if you think that we are still behind the Cubs with Machado in our lineup, then do you really think it is worth giving up good prospects for a 1 game wild card situation? I'd love to add him to our lineup, but I just don't think it would be worth giving up what we'd have to give the O's in order to get him for the final two months.

I can't see the Brewers making a move for Machado as a stand alone move because if they go for Machado they are trying to win a World Series this year. I would think they would also look to upgrade catcher and starting pitching if they go after Machado.

I can't see the Brewers making a move for Machado as a stand alone move because if they go for Machado they are trying to win a World Series this year. I would think they would also look to upgrade catcher and starting pitching if they go after Machado.

Agreed, and adding three players (assuming the pitcher and catcher are high quality players) will deplete the farm system. It really doesn't seem like a Stearns-type of move to completely dismiss the future for one season.

Agreed, and adding three players (assuming the pitcher and catcher are high quality players) will deplete the farm system. It really doesn't seem like a Stearns-type of move to completely dismiss the future for one season.

And for this I am grateful

Community Moderator
These idiots are going to keep Machado.

Yeah the ownership in Baltimore is rather dumb.

I think even the Orioles administration understands they must move Machado. That being said, I have this feeling that with the All-Star Game being in their backyard this year they will feel pressure to hold onto him at least through that game (yes, I realize that is a terrible way to run a baseball organization, but we are also talking about the team that punts the International market every year). Due to the likely lack of current potential suitors it probably works in their benefit anyway to wait until closer to the deadline.

All of this being said, there was the following report this evening from Jon Paul Morosi... O's, D-backs have talked Machado trade:

The Orioles and D-backs have engaged in discussions regarding a potential trade for Manny Machado, according to MLB Network insider Jon Paul Morosi, and dialogue remains open between the two clubs.

Morosi described the trade talks as "due diligence on Arizona's part as the team's needs become clear." The two clubs also reportedly discussed a Machado trade this past offseason. Arizona currently holds the top spot in the National League West, but the second-place Dodgers narrowed the gap when they defeated the Cubs in Game 1 of a doubleheader Tuesday afternoon.

It's unclear whether the D-backs are interested in acquiring Machado to play shortstop or third base.

The 25-year-old would be an offensive upgrade over starting third baseman Jake Lamb and shortstop Nick Ahmed, as he's hitting .310 with 18 homers, 53 RBIs and a .945 OPS over 69 games for the Orioles in 2018 and owns a lifetime 118 wRC+.

But Machado has struggled defensively in his first season as the O's primary shortstop, recording -15 defensive runs saved (DRS). Ahmed, meanwhile, has notched six DRS. Machado has proven to be a stellar defender at the hot corner in the past, posting 81 DRS as a third baseman during his career and winning two AL Gold Glove Awards at the position.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Dan Plesac voiced his opinion this morning on MLBCentral that he thought the Brewers were going to land Machado. I could see it happening only if Shaw's wrist requires surgery.

If Shaw does need surgery, then absolutely you'd have to think that is a possibility. The question is, will that be enough to push us to the top of the NL? I hope Shaw is more of a short term issue and we then can trot Shaw AND Machado out there, because that would be a huge upgrade for us. (Maybe not defensively though- even though I don't know Machado is THAT bad as he gets knocked for on statistical analysis, but I have not watched him play this year).

If Shaw needs surgery, replacing him with Machado doesn't tip the scale for us. Adding Machado WITH Shaw in the line-up, that's a different story.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How’s this look:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF

3. Machado- SS

4. Shaw- 3B

5. Aguilar- 1B / Braun- LF

6. Thames/Braun- LF/1B

7. Hiura- 2B (or Villar)

8. Pina/Nottingham- C

Bench: Pina/Nottingham, Braun/Thames, Perez, Villar, Miller

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

How’s this look:

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF

3. Machado- SS

4. Shaw- 3B

5. Aguilar- 1B / Braun- LF

6. Thames/Braun- LF/1B

7. Hiura- 2B (or Villar)

8. Pina/Nottingham- C

Bench: Pina/Nottingham, Braun/Thames, Perez, Villar, Miller

Great, but at what cost? I don't think we are in a position to trade the farm, especially pitching. At some point, we have to rely on "our" guys to fill the rotation.

I'm thinking Shaw ends up with a lengthy stay on the DL due to his wrist injury anyway.

No possible chance we give up Peralta AND Burnes, then add Hiura as well. This would gut us. Hiura IS our 2B of the future, and if we trade off both Burnes and Peralta, where does that leave our rotation in the future?

I'm just not on board with trading for Machado when all it really does is mortgage our future, and doesn't guarantee a thing as far as playoffs or world series...

No possible chance we give up Peralta AND Burnes, then add Hiura as well. This would gut us. Hiura IS our 2B of the future, and if we trade off both Burnes and Peralta, where does that leave our rotation in the future?

I'm just not on board with trading for Machado when all it really does is mortgage our future, and doesn't guarantee a thing as far as playoffs or world series...

I'm hesitant to give up even one of Burnes or Peralta for Machado, that probably means it doesn't happen for us but so be it. That's far too short-sighted.

The thought of plugging him into the 3 hole of the lineup playing SS is quite insane though. That lineup would be a serious force.

I'm thinking a Woodruff and someone like Gatewood , it's only for 2 months even that might be over paying.

I 100% disagree with this. There is ZERO reason the Brewers couldn't/shouldn't sign him long term...they have the payroll flexibility to do it easily.

I'm thinking a Woodruff and someone like Gatewood , it's only for 2 months even that might be over paying.

I 100% disagree with this. There is ZERO reason the Brewers couldn't/shouldn't sign him long term...they have the payroll flexibility to do it easily.

Whaaaaaat? You think the Brewers could hand out a $300+ million dollar deal easily?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived