Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

I hope (and think) Sterns is smart enough not to overpay based on one poor week for a rental. If they trade for him and can keep Peralta, Hiura, and Burnes. I will probably be OK with it, but I can't see the deal getting done without one of those with so many teams going after him.

Wish they would go after a player like Hairston Jr, like they did in 2011 rather than go for the home run.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
We don’t need another average hitter.

Just put this in another thread in the Major League forum, but I am not convinced they have a single average hitter currently on the roster.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

The irony is average players literally could help this team considerably AND you can get those players for guys that are possibly going to be left unprotected in the upcoming Rule 5 draft.

The “big splash” trades are the guys who are going to cost you the prospects that are worth saving.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The irony is average players literally could help this team considerably AND you can get those players for guys that are possibly going to be left unprotected in the upcoming Rule 5 draft.

The “big splash” trades are the guys who are going to cost you the prospects that are worth saving.

This might very well be the right play. Nine AL teams are out of it already. Five or six NL teams are out of it. We could get nice improvements in the middle infield at a much cheaper prospect price than Manny. Wait until August and we could get something for practically nothing- just pay him and a throw in. The tricky part is that avg players might just get us what we got last year... a little shy of the playoffs.

This might very well be the right play. Nine AL teams are out of it already. Five or six NL teams are out of it. We could get nice improvements in the middle infield at a much cheaper prospect price than Manny. Wait until August and we could get something for practically nothing- just pay him and a throw in. The tricky part is that avg players might just get us what we got last year... a little shy of the playoffs.

If they get Machado I would like to see them then upgrade catcher to make that at least an average hitter. I think Brad Miller is an average hitter so that would leave us with a line-up loaded with 4 All Star hitters, Shaw, and then two average guys (2B and C) to round it out. Once guys get healthy that also gives us a pretty nice looking bench too.

Maybe you go get someone to solidify the rotation or bullpen on the cheap too? All that wouldn’t kill the farm at all. Maybe you lose a few decent ones getting Machado, but for the other few addition it will mostly be “meh” prospects we are just filled with to the brim. Not like we are trading the farm to get DeGrom.

I’m definitely expecting more moves if they end up with Machado. Machado alone would be insulting. If Stearns wants him, go for it, but best not end there.

My dream scenario would be to acquire both Machado and Dozier without having to give up Burnes, Peralta or Hiura. The line-up with those two guys would be awesome, especially if we get a halfway decent Braun to finish the season.

My dream scenario would be to acquire both Machado and Dozier without having to give up Burnes, Peralta or Hiura. The line-up with those two guys would be awesome, especially if we get a halfway decent Braun to finish the season.

That’s two pretty expensive rental bats. Dozier is starting to turn it on and I am sure they will wait till the end of July to trade him. That gives a historical second half player an entire strong month (hypothetical) to solidify his value.

That would make just an insane line-up down the stretch. If you assume Dozier is an All Star type bat in the second half, wow.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I say we stay the course. If we were willing to do a Machado trade a week ago we should be ready to do it now. I'll take the risk that we can make up ground on the Cubs. There's a lot of baseball left.

I don't want to, however, overpay for Manny. I'd stick to the plan, and turn to alternatives if needed.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What do we think about Donaldson as an alternative to Machado?

Donaldson can't play SS so I wouldn't want him. Plus he's still on the DL. Reports are that he's starting baseball activities - but you never really know what that means. And with all his injuries the last two years - I wouldn't trust him to be healthy.

Toronto is probably best waiting until August and hope he comes back and looks good before the end of the August. I don't think anyone will claim him on waivers if he's still on the DL in early August.

So hypothetical:

Let’s say we acquire Machado (whether you want us to or not), what do you hope Stearns does afterwards before July 31st?

Because to me Machado isn’t really a stand-alone move and I’d be curious to see what others would hope the additional moves would include.

(And no, hoping for no additional moves because you didn’t want Machado in the first place is not a logical post-Machado plan)

While I don't want to give up Burnes or Arcia here, we are in a great position. We have the following players that are MLB, MLB-ready, or nearly ready, and not all will be a regular part of our core. We can afford to deal 4 or so for him.

Domingo Santana

Brett Phillips

Troy Stokes

Trent Grishom

Jorge Lopez

Adrian Houser

Nick Ramirez

Taylor Williams

Jacob Barnes

Brandon Woodruff

Luis Ortiz

Phil Bickford

etc

So hypothetical:

Let’s say we acquire Machado (whether you want us to or not), what do you hope Stearns does afterwards before July 31st?

Because to me Machado isn’t really a stand-alone move and I’d be curious to see what others would hope the additional moves would include.

(And no, hoping for no additional moves because you didn’t want Machado in the first place is not a logical post-Machado plan)

Something small for Ramos. Maybe another Swarzak type rental for a pen arm. Bench bat. That's about it.

So hypothetical:

If we get Machado now (as in this week), I wait until July 31st for my next move. If we are still in the division race I would love for them to then look at a arm such as Eovaldi. If we continue to slide even with Machado, I try to flip him (Machado) at the deadline to recoup some of what we gave up.

DHonks had a good list of trade candidates and I would not want to give up anyone other then who he lists. I would hate to give up Williams or even Santana here though as I feel they both can still be a part of the future.

I have gone back and forth on whether or not I want Machado for a number of reasons that have been talked about to death at this point.

I want him. I want him badly.

It has nothing to do with how the offense has looked for the last week. The offense is gonna come around. They're too talented not to. Instead, it has everything to do with having a team that we all believe can get to and win a WS. Does Machado do that alone? No, probably not. But he gets us a hell of a lot closer than we'd be without him. Players of this caliber rarely come available at any time, even as rentals. When you have a really good team in place and the prospect capital to get a deal done, you do it. Ask questions later. There's more than enough in the system to absorb trading for a guy like this.

We all want to see a postseason run more than anything. This would make that a lot more likely and a lot more fun to watch. Go get Machado after the ASG, play it out for a few weeks and make your next move from there. It's time.

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but see tweet below. I take this to be the Yankees version of HH19.

https://twitter.com/EvilEmpireTalks/status/1018672288441491458

I saw something similar but can't find the tweet anymore, it's apparently circulating on a dodgers site that the Dodgers will be landing Machado in a 3 team trade after the allstar game. The Dodgers version of HH19.

So, it sounds like both the Dodgers and Yankees will be winning the Machado sweepstakes.

Archived