Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

With all that said.... the fan in me right now is yelling deal anything because our offense is awful right now & then turn around and unload for SP because rotation has been awful... Marlins & Pittsburgh for 9 games should have been easy way to collect wins before break.

They are making difficult to stay rational

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
With the anniversary of the Sabathia trade last weekend I saw a clip of Craig Counsell talking about how much of a positive surprise acquiring CC was for him and hits teammates in 2008. I am curious what others think about the impact of adding an elite player midseason does on a team’s psyche? Do you think the emotional boost is worth anything tangible in terms of other players having success or is it overrated?
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think it’s legit. Team chemistry is a big deal and that certainly boosts the inner clubhouse. I mean guys were pumped when they added Yelich/Cain. I think that kind of thing is definitely taken into consideration when considering major moves midseason.

The latest from Ken Rosenthal:

#Orioles have ramped up background work on #Phillies prospects, responding to Phils’ increased interest in Machado, sources tell The Athletic. Phils won’t move RHP Sixto Sanchez but are willing to trade from SP depth from Low A to AAA. RHP Adonis Medina of interest to O’s.

It seems like RHP Adonis Medina’s trade value would be similar to that of Luis Ortiz.

Not good news for fans that want Machado. The Phillies have two near-ready starters in Ranger Suarez (currently in AAA) and Enyel De Los Santos (already had a MLB appearance) who have both been impressive this year. No definitive report that the Phillies are willing to give up Medina, Suarez or De Los Santos. But if the Phillies would be willing to package Medina plus one of the other two, then the Brewers would probably have to upgrade to Burnes and either Ponce or Supak just to remain in talks with Baltimore.

The latest from Ken Rosenthal:

#Orioles have ramped up background work on #Phillies prospects, responding to Phils’ increased interest in Machado, sources tell The Athletic. Phils won’t move RHP Sixto Sanchez but are willing to trade from SP depth from Low A to AAA. RHP Adonis Medina of interest to O’s.

It seems like RHP Adonis Medina’s trade value would be similar to that of Luis Ortiz.

Not good news for fans that want Machado. The Phillies have two near-ready starters in Ranger Suarez (currently in AAA) and Enyel De Los Santos (already had a MLB appearance) who have both been impressive this year. No definitive report that the Phillies are willing to give up Medina, Suarez or De Los Santos. But if the Phillies would be willing to package Medina plus one of the other two, then the Brewers would probably have to upgrade to Burnes and either Ponce or Supak just to remain in talks with Baltimore.

...and if that was the case, I hope the Brewers are out!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

One report that the Brewers odds of acquiring Machado have been lowered and the pitchforks are coming out. As I said about a week ago, can't wait until Burnes gives up a run and is castrated for being the reason we don't have Manny.

That's pleasant.

I, for one, will be happy if the team doesn't over pay for Machado (or any player). And I don't think anyone will blame Burnes for something he has no control over. Stearns and the front office? Sure, but not Burnes.

As for pitchforks. I really don't see people freaking out. Sure there will be a few people who scream loudly and often, but whatever. But I honestly think most people on this site understand the organization's philosophy.

I think you're drastically underestimating the capabilities of people here to spew fire in any general direction they can if the Brewers don't make a big enough splash for their tastes.

Yah and then there are people ready to throw a fiesta the second we are “fading” because the move is to big for their tastes despite knowing nothing about what the Brewers are even offering or would need to offer.

Both are a bit overly dramatic.

I think adding Machado would be a positive for the team as long as Arcia isn't involved in the deal (which I don't think he would be). The guys love Arcia. They don't want to see him traded for a guy that would leave in two months if the playoffs aren't reached.

I think adding Machado would be a positive for the team as long as Arcia isn't involved in the deal (which I don't think he would be). The guys love Arcia. They don't want to see him traded for a guy that would leave in two months if the playoffs aren't reached.

Then maybe Arcia should be hitting over the Mendoza line and putting up something substantially better than a .482 OPS. If he was, there wouldn't even be a Machado thread.

A quick question will adding Machado make this team capable of beating the YANKS RED SOXS or Astros in a WS

Let's worry about making the playoffs first, something this franchise has done a whopping four times in 40 years.

100% on point!

Any team can beat anyone in the playoffs.... it’s all about who is most hot at the right time. I remember when Cards played eh baseball all season, came surging in September to make playoffs by like one game after being 10 games out. They kept storming to the finish.... Royals & Indians (even though fell short) same story.

People need to stop worrying so much about is this team good enough to win World Series.... we need to be worried if we are good enough to get to playoffs. Anything can happen then

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

What do Brewer fans think it would take to a blockbuster trade with the Orioles landing us the following:

SS Manny Machado

LHP Zack Britton

RHP Kevin Gausman

That's 2 rentals in Machado and Britton and a controllable SP in Gausman who is ARB eligible for two more seasons.

The Orioles could probably get more by trading each separate, if they are even willing to deal Gausman, but I thought those 3 players could fill a few of the Brewers needs in one blockbuster.

Thinking Derek Johnson could work his magic on Gausman and allow him to finaly reach his Top of the Rotation potential.

Thoughts?

No.

Hiura ought to be called up to man 2B.

Use a mix of Miller/Villar/Saladino at short.

Whoa. I love Hiura as much as anyone else, and now that he’s getting prospect ranking bumps for mid-season reports, I know this is going to be a harder argument to make, but the guy has been dinged up, slumping (.264 batting avg at AA), and has only 124 ABs above the A-ball level. He ain’t walking through that door this year.

I think we need to accept that Hiura might compete for the 2B job as early as next Spring if everything breaks right, but if we want him to help this year, he’ll have to get shipped out in a trade. I see no other way.

No.

Whoa. I love Hiura as much as anyone else, and now that he’s getting prospect ranking bumps for mid-season reports, I know this is going to be a harder argument to make, but the guy has been dinged up, slumping (.264 batting avg at AA), and has only 124 ABs above the A-ball level. He ain’t walking through that door this year.

I think we need to accept that Hiura might compete for the 2B job as early as next Spring if everything breaks right, but if we want him to help this year, he’ll have to get shipped out in a trade. I see no other way.

Check out that box score from Biloxi last night, he's way above. 264 now.

I don’t get the fear of the Astros/Yankees/Red Sox. First of all if we play them we made it to the World Series. This isn’t basketball where inferior teams have the same chance as winning the powerball when it comes postseason time. If we put a good enough team out there to make a World Series we can beat anyone in 7 Games. The best team almost never wins! The best record from each league hardly ever gets to the World Series period!

No.

Check out that box score from Biloxi last night, he's way above. 264 now.

That was a nice box score, which only serves to underscore my last point: he has so few ABs at AA that four straight hits raised his average twenty points! I just think people who expect Hiura to be the answer right now shouldn’t get their hopes up, that’s all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think you're totally correct here. There is a lot of nuance that goes into negotiating a trade like this, and some people, myself included, sort of simplify the process.

To me, it's not Stearns putting an offer out there and saying, "Here's the best - take it or leave it." It's understanding before you go into the process what are your limitations - and sticking to them.

Of course, we don't know every step in the process, and like you note, it can take weeks and weeks of back and forth to get to a final agreement (or not). But in that process there should be parameters that the team should stick to. And thus be willing to walk away when the price gets too high.

From what it sounds, the Crew have made a serious offer already. How much they are willing to sweeten it is anyone's guess. But I wouldn't be surprised if this thing drags out through the entire month.

Archived