Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you have to keep your top two pitching prospects and also i would keep Zac brown and his band

I think Brown is getting overrated just a bit on here.

I think all of our young pitching prospects are being overrated a lot on here. If they can be used to add established players the trades should be made.

I don’t think really any of us truly know much.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

you have to keep your top two pitching prospects and also i would keep Zac brown and his band

I think all of our young pitching prospects are being overrated a lot on here. If they can be used to add established players the trades should be made.

Don't agree with that either.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Hypothetically...

Would you all rather have Machado at a cost of say...Burnes, Broxton, and Meideros

or

Eduardo Escobar with a cost of Phillips, Houser, and Jorge Lopez

Both are rentals...I know Machado is otherwordly this year but I was surprised to see the year Escobar is having. Is the difference between Machado and Escobar worth giving up a Corbin Burnes? I'm not sure...

Gun to my head I'd take B, but I'd pass on both probably.

Community Moderator
I'd like to add that Jim Bowden is a terrible source. He's notorious for throwing out all sorts of crap. He lives for getting clicks.

He “likes” all of his own tweets on Twitter which seems weird, and then of course there was this strange incident.

He is easily my least favorite of baseball’s national “reporters”.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The most logical is actually Peralta whether you want to accept that or not.

The Brewers have been talking to the Orioles for awhile now one would assume. If the Orioles were going to scout someone in the bullpen or a bat they would have been here the entire series.

Only other logical choice would be Nottingham if he always catches Peralta. That being said even then the scout would likely be here the entire series incase he played in another game. So definitely not a bullpen guy, but maybe Nottingham.

Likely:

Freddy Peralta.

The Brewers have been talking to the Orioles for awhile now one would assume. If the Marlins were going to scout someone in the bullpen or a bat they would have been here the entire series.

Only other logical choice would be Nottingham if he always catches Peralta. That being said even then the scout would likely be here the entire series incase he played in another game. So definitely not a bullpen guy, but maybe Nottingham.

Likely:

Freddy Peralta.

Can't say it doesn't make sense.

Innings limit on Peralta down the stretch might factor into this a bit? He's not much value to us (this year) if he can't pitch much when we need it most.

No, that wouldn't make me trade him at all...but maybe it's a MINOR factor to DS. He's also not a very big guy and small pitchers typically don't age well for the long haul.

I think soon enough you'll come to the realization that you were late seeing it with him.

Second. He’s been really good since last year & manages to just keep getting better! From Wisconsin, okay start then turned it on, kept turning it on in Carolina, and manages to keep dealing! Lookin through numbers, hard to find real reasons he’d be overrated.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Machado pulled in the 8th tonight.

It's 8-0. I'd hope so.

Yeah, at some point you might think they'd just start holding him out of games. I know there's a bit of an integrity thing to put your best guys on the field, but if you're trading him anyway you'd sure hate to see your biggest trade chip take one off the wrist or something and end his season. Yes, percentages are small but ....

Community Moderator

Sorry if this Fangraphs article by Jeff Sullivan has been posted in one of the previous pages in this thread today, but figured it was interesting enough to share: The Precedent for a Manny Machado Trade

In summary, Jeff speculates at the end that the Orioles will receive at least one ranked prospect as part of the return for Machado, and that in the case of the Brewers it would likely mean parting with Burnes.

Community Moderator

Ken Rosenthal update via Twitter:

#Orioles remain in talks on Machado, sources tell The Athletic. #Yankees’ interest described as “serious” - @JonHeyman reported strong offer by NYY. #Dodgers⁠ ⁠, #Brewers also serious, while #DBacks, #Phillies staying in touch; PHI contact reported earlier by @JimBowdenGM.

Sorry if this Fangraphs article by Jeff Sullivan has been posted in one of the previous pages in this thread today, but figured it was interesting enough to share: The Precedent for a Manny Machado Trade

In summary, Jeff speculates at the end that the Orioles will receive at least one ranked prospect as part of the return for Machado, and that in the case of the Brewers it would likely mean parting with Burnes.

It is too bad we won't be getting Manny Machado then ;)

Yes. I'm hoping this is all just paper talk getting lathered up with no other deadline hot topics to report on.

Moving Peralta, Burnes, or even a Nottingham for a rental seems 100% something Stearns would not do.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Innings limit on Peralta down the stretch might factor into this a bit? He's not much value to us (this year) if he can't pitch much when we need it most.

No, that wouldn't make me trade him at all...but maybe it's a MINOR factor to DS. He's also not a very big guy and small pitchers typically don't age well for the long haul.

I know he's been great for us so far and it's not like I want to trade him. But here me out a bit on a skeptics view on Peralta, he's a small guy who really only throws low 90s and basically only has 2 pitches so you might be skeptical on how sustainable this is. I know the deceptive delivery is what makes him great, but I could see how we might value him less for the reasons I said.

The Brewers have been talking to the Orioles for awhile now one would assume. If the Marlins were going to scout someone in the bullpen or a bat they would have been here the entire series.

Likely:

Freddy Peralta.

Can't say it doesn't make sense.

It's absolutely plausible that the Orioles have demanded Burnes for Machado, we've refused, offered Peralta instead, and the Orioles are on the fence about that.

If so, he didn't leave a very good impression tonight.

Yes. I'm hoping this is all just paper talk getting lathered up with no other deadline hot topics to report on.

Moving Peralta, Burnes, or even a Nottingham for a rental seems 100% something Stearns would not do.

Even if Nottingham is just OK (maybe even slightly less) he could be the answer at C and I think they will take the time to find that out. No way I trade Burnes. Peralta I might be able to be talked in to. I like Burnes and Woodruff better and I may even like Ortiz better. That is not saying Peralta sucks or his value should be taken lightly. I'm just saying if I have to part with one, it might just be Peralta.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even if Nottingham is just OK (maybe even slightly less) he could be the answer at C and I think they will take the time to find that out. No way I trade Burnes. Peralta I might be able to be talked in to. I like Burnes and Woodruff better and I may even like Ortiz better. That is not saying Peralta sucks or his value should be taken lightly. I'm just saying if I have to part with one, it might just be Peralta.

I agree with you. Peralta has looked fine since being called up, but if I had to pick any of the three between him, Burnes and Woodruff to trade, I'd pick Peralta. He'd be a solid sell-high guy due to his nice start to his career.

Archived