Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe it is just the journalism background in me, but anytime you want to dedicate your time and resources to a website yourself let me know and I will be glad to follow it and unnecessarily critique it. A publication shouldn't be judged on one post. It was a relevant rumor when posted. It includes Heyman's take on it. It also has a poll for fans to give opinions.

"Possible package" -- "This contradicts reports we’ve heard" -- "Jon Heyman ran to quell Brewers fans fears, saying there’s no way the Crew include all three for Machado." -- "What are your thoughts?" -- These are all accurate. Nothing he posted was false and was just citing a source. No need to pick it apart. It's deadline season. Rumors are what most fans want.

There is 4,000 votes on that poll too, btw.

15 years in journalism. I've faced my share of criticism. I wasn't judging the publication ... actually I read Brew Crew Ball often, and find it insightful.

I was judging the post itself. It is click-baity and irresponsible, obviously with a headline worded the way it was to get views and clicks. And with your journalism background, you know people read the headline and the first sentence, and ran to retweet it as "OMG the Brewers are offering up Burnes!!!" I mean, what else are you going to think when you read a headline that screams "Report: Brewers offer for Machado includes Corbin Burnes"? That's not even an accurate representation of Bowden's tweet. Discussed does not equal a made offer.

If you are Mr. Ford, you can do better.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In stories I've read, they often mention how maybe this time the Orioles would even be willing to trade within the division or "they'd normally be reluctant to deal with the Yankees but...."

I don't get it. If I'm the Orioles, I'd WANT to trade Manny to the Yankees. The Orioles have no chance this year, so competing with the Yankees doesn't matter. If they can weaken the Yankees' future by getting good prospects, go for it.

Dude everybody knows they have to trade MM, they have no letsge, the Mets have all the leverage with DeGrom and Thor.

They don’t have to trade him to the Brewers. They pick from multiple strong offers and play them against each other.

The fact that the Orioles have Machado gives them leverage because they are the only team that has Machado. There are many teams and one Machado.

However, that leverage is mitigated by the fact that those many teams know the Orioles are going to trade him. The Orioles literally have to choose the best offer in the end. Bidding teams may look at it as trying to have the best low offer. No one needs to overwhelm the Orioles, like they would with the Mets' pitching.

That leverage is also mitigated by the fact that there are quite a few middle infielders on the market. Granted, none of them are Machado, but teams will make their own calculations about what they are willing to give up in trade value. It could be some teams think the delta between Machado and Escobar is not as great as the delta between what it would cost to obtain Machado versus what it would cost to obtain Escobar. In that case, teams could rationally choose that Escobar (or others out there) are better options in a cost/benefit analysis.

In stories I've read, they often mention how maybe this time the Orioles would even be willing to trade within the division or "they'd normally be reluctant to deal with the Yankees but...."

I don't get it. If I'm the Orioles, I'd WANT to trade Manny to the Yankees. The Orioles have no chance this year, so competing with the Yankees doesn't matter. If they can weaken the Yankees' future by getting good prospects, go for it.

Agreed. If I’m the Orioles I’d love to take Sheffield ++ from their system. Actually that’s probably the only offer I’d consider unless someone else wants to beat that offer by a lot.

Some major writer had a tweet about us talking with MN about Dozier and Escobar. So it seems they're looking at cheaper backup options as well. Both FAs this year. I'm not too familiar with Escobar and his positional flex, I'd guess he'd play 2B.

Some major writer had a tweet about us talking with MN about Dozier and Escobar. So it seems they're looking at cheaper backup options as well. Both FAs this year. I'm not too familiar with Escobar and his positional flex, I'd guess he'd play 2B.

They are talking to every team about potential players who are available. It's just a matter of what leaks, how it's twisted, etc.

They are talking to every team about potential players who are available. It's just a matter of what leaks, how it's twisted, etc.

I would have a tough time imagining a high ranking team official is say anything other than propaganda to the media.

66 games at 3rd, 21 at SS, 1 at 2nd.

Both guys are premium offensive infielders though Dozier is having a down year by his standards. It would be interesting to see their price tag.

One other issue is Dozier has been a great 2nd half hitter.

Hypothetically...

Would you all rather have Machado at a cost of say...Burnes, Broxton, and Meideros

or

Eduardo Escobar with a cost of Phillips, Houser, and Jorge Lopez

Both are rentals...I know Machado is otherwordly this year but I was surprised to see the year Escobar is having. Is the difference between Machado and Escobar worth giving up a Corbin Burnes? I'm not sure...

@AdamMcCalvy

Following Following @AdamMcCalvy

More

The Orioles have a scout at Marlins Park tonight. Freddy Peralta is about to take the mound for Milwaukee.

Edit - They can watch Freddy all they want, he's not going anywhere.

@AdamMcCalvy

More

The Orioles have a scout at Marlins Park tonight. Freddy Peralta is about to take the mound for Milwaukee.

What players would the Orioles have interest in that they could realistically get from the Brewers in a trade for Machado? Thames, Perez, and Villar are the few that stand out to me. Thames probably makes the most sense since the Orioles could really use a first baseman.

@AdamMcCalvy

More

What players would the Orioles have interest in that they could realistically get from the Brewers in a trade for Machado? Thames, Perez, and Villar are the few that stand out to me. Thames probably makes the most sense since the Orioles could really use a first baseman.

My guess would be Nottingham.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just a thought (even if it isn't based in reality)....

Say Machado was on the block and was controllable until after the 2020 season. How much would you be willing to offer the Orioles then? Would Hiura, Burnes and Peralta be enough?

Likely no. You have to add assets from the major league roster. Maybe add Arcia and Hader to that list.

@AdamMcCalvy

More

My guess would be Nottingham.

Maybe Taylor Williams too? Don't think we'd like to trade him.

Archived