Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

John Heyman: "don't like to shoot down every rumor out there (party because I don't like my own rumors shot down!). but rest easy milwaukeeans, brewers are not sending a package of burnes, broxton and arcia for machado. not all 3. no way."

Thank God. I believe Heyman's source on this is Common Sense.

Meanwhile, the Orioles Hangout message board's reaction to that deal was "let's ask for Phillips instead of Broxton, and even that return is 'meh' because Arcia is a AAAA/Utility infielder". #FacePalm

Gruber Lawffices

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Yankees fan from Barstool (trash outside Carrabis) just tweeted this

https://twitter.com/BarstoolHubbs/status/1017109231466663937?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

He also "reported" Ellsbury was going to be traded to the Brewers, so grain of salt city.

He's claiming he got this information from his "Stanton" guy, and not his "Ellsbury" guy. :rolleyes

Gruber Lawffices

https://twitter.com/BarstoolHubbs/status/1017109231466663937?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

He also "reported" Ellsbury was going to be traded to the Brewers, so grain of salt city.

He's claiming he got this information from his "Stanton" guy, and not his "Ellsbury" guy. :rolleyes

It was pretty clear the Yanks were gunning for Stanton. Ken Rosenthal was on it quite early after the STL trade fell through. Sounds like another Brewer World type to me.

Yeah, not sure how much I'm believing this guy has sources with the Yankees. I mean, how do you have one guy that is a good source and another guy that is a bad source. I'm going to guess he's the Yankees version of HH19 (and boy, do I miss the HH19 craziness from this winter!). Just imagine how much fun we'd be having right now if HH19 was throwing out his fake rumors right now.

I don't think this makes all that much sense for the Yankees really. I mean they have to call and check since they're the Yankees, but clearly their offense is already loaded and they can just try to sign in the offseason. Although if I'm them I'd rather go for Harper since their other two big boppers are righty and because of the RF porch in Yankee Stadium. Pretty sure Gardner is a FA this year to free up an OF spot.

If I'm the Yankees though don't you just put Andujar in the trade since you can resign Machado? Then you shouldn't have to give up a Sheffield type as the Yanks are desperate for pitching and likely have a terrible farm for pitchers. I suppose it's a bit risky since there is a chance you don't sign him though.

While we don't know everything about how Stearns will operate, one thing that I think is clear is that he holds firm to his idea of value and won't overpay. There have been numerous examples of this - Quintana/Gray last year, Darvish/FA pitching, not selling low on Santana (even though they were clearly trying to move him), etc.

The questions are:

-Are there times you should overpay (the 2008 CC example, or when it clearly makes you a favorite)?

-Is this one of those times?

My answers would be:

-Yes (flags fly forever)

-Ehhh...not sure. This is why he's the GM & I'm not.

My answers:

1. Yes.

2. I think so - to an extent. There is a surplus of OFs and SPs, and I'd be willing to move the following package:

- One of Broxton/Phillips

- Arcia

- Either Wilkerson & Barnes OR Ortiz, with a preference for the former package.

The Orioles get Arcia low, they get a MLB-ready OF, and they get either two immediate contributors to their staff, or a top 100 prospect.

With that, I assume there is a 90% chance that Machado goes elsewhere - but there is a chance to get him for 3-4 years.

I don't think this makes all that much sense for the Yankees really. I mean they have to call and check since they're the Yankees, but clearly their offense is already loaded and they can just try to sign in the offseason. Although if I'm them I'd rather go for Harper since their other two big boppers are righty and because of the RF porch in Yankee Stadium. Pretty sure Gardner is a FA this year to free up an OF spot.

If I'm the Yankees though don't you just put Andujar in the trade since you can resign Machado? Then you shouldn't have to give up a Sheffield type as the Yanks are desperate for pitching and likely have a terrible farm for pitchers. I suppose it's a bit risky since there is a chance you don't sign him though.

IMO, it all boils down to winning the division for the Yankees. They could easily have the second best record in baseball, and be stuck playing a 1 game playoff. If you can move the needle and upgrade any position, they will do it. Also, having him as a rental may make it easier for Manny to resign with them the next year (kind of like Paul George with the Thunder).

I still say it ends up being Ortiz, Medeiros and Phillips for Machado. Obviously Baltimore is holding out for more than just Ortiz and Phillips, but we're obviously not going to throw in Burnes/Peralta/Woodruff either. Medeiros seems like a good addition to a package, especially if Stearns wants to get a deal done now before the Yankees or Red Sox offer up something too good for the Orioles to refuse.

I was thinking something similar except maybe a half-tier or so down the Brewers prospect list, like a Supak or Gatewood.

While we don't know everything about how Stearns will operate, one thing that I think is clear is that he holds firm to his idea of value and won't overpay. There have been numerous examples of this - Quintana/Gray last year, Darvish/FA pitching, not selling low on Santana (even though they were clearly trying to move him), etc.

The questions are:

-Are there times you should overpay (the 2008 CC example, or when it clearly makes you a favorite)?

My answers would be:

-Yes (flags fly forever)

Agreed with your thoughts on Stearns. He has his value in mind, and there seems to be little wavering from his value in players. I doubt there will be any bidding war for Machado. If it works it works, if not on to the next deal. Between him and Matt Arnold, they know how run a small market team and keep is sustainable.

-There is always a time to overpay. I don't consider this to be a time for that. The Brewers are beginning to see the fruits of a top end minor league system, and they are adding more talent to an already good team (aka - there is no window for this team). If we were in a situation of having Cain, Moustakas, Hosmer, etc. with expiring contracts, that's when I would stockpile and try to make one last run. Thankfully, the Brewers wont be in a position of desperation like that for a while.

LOL!

I feel like this guy must work for the Orioles, what an awful awful proposal.

Doesn’t seem like what Stearns would do.l

Yah...and three weeks ago trading for Machado was not a Stearns type move. It was almost offensive to even mention it. Now we are rumored a front runner putting together pretty substantial packages together to offer.

Maybe we just don’t know what Stearns will do with a really good team. Something he hasn’t had before this year. Hasn’t even had a true contending team planned from the winter prior. 2017 was more a surprise. I keep telling people it’s too early to start assuming what Stearns is going to do or won’t do.

I don’t think that offer is anywhere near what is a potential deal from Milwaukee’s side, but appears we are dangling good players.

Go back to the start of this thread then go back to mid-June and you'll find the consensus being if the Brewers are a legitimate playoff team then we should be open to exploring Machado then offering their proposals. Sounds like the opposite of what you said actually.

Stearns talks to anyone and everyone about anyone and everyone. Last year he added a good vet 2b in Walker and a good pen arm for us - both doing their parts to improve their spots the final 2 months. Fast forward a year and the team is in much better shape overall. A Stearns move is adding a player(s) to increase production from a spot that didn't have acceptable performance (ie last year). It just so happens that this year one of the best players on the planet is a rental. But what's not a Stearns move is giving up more value than he acquires. He has a max value on every player he targets and won't exceed that value. If people thought Machado wasn't a Stearns type move the chances are strong they were referring to him not giving up elite talent for a 2 month rental, if in fact it would have cost an absurd amount, which it doesn't.

Ugh ... this is how rumors get started. Is Brad Ford just trying to get clicks or something?

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/7/11/17561398/report-milwaukee-brewers-offer-for-baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-includes-corbin-burnes

This was a "rumor" from Jim Bowden. Seemed to have been shot down relatively quickly. This proposal is not a thing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ugh ... this is how rumors get started. Is Brad Ford just trying to get clicks or something?

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/7/11/17561398/report-milwaukee-brewers-offer-for-baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-includes-corbin-burnes

This was a "rumor" from Jim Bowden. Seemed to have been shot down relatively quickly. This proposal is not a thing.

I know that ... but now I see people retweeting this Brew Crew Ball article. It's irresponsible to even report on this crap, let alone throw up a click-baiting inaccurate headline. Even Bowden's dumb post didn't mention anything about that offer being submitted to the Orioles, yet the headline and first sentence of the Brew Crew Ball story indicates that.

I'm sorry, but that is junk journalism.

The questions are:

My answers would be:

-Yes (flags fly forever)

Didn’t he offer Darvish a $100M contract?

The Orioles have a mountain of leverage here because they set up the Yankees and Red Sox into the mix when I am not sure either team needs him.

I don’t think the Orioles have hardly any leverage, they’ve completely botched the Machado trade, not having traded him before the season. They don’t have much leverage because teams can look at other options.

Angelos family are idiots

I know that ... but now I see people retweeting this Brew Crew Ball article. It's irresponsible to even report on this crap, let alone throw up a click-baiting inaccurate headline. Even Bowden's dumb post didn't mention anything about that offer being submitted to the Orioles, yet the headline and first sentence of the Brew Crew Ball story indicates that.

I'm sorry, but that is junk journalism.

Maybe it is just the journalism background in me, but anytime you want to dedicate your time and resources to a website yourself let me know and I will be glad to follow it and unnecessarily critique it. A publication shouldn't be judged on one post. It was a relevant rumor when posted. It includes Heyman's take on it. It also has a poll for fans to give opinions.

"Possible package" -- "This contradicts reports we’ve heard" -- "Jon Heyman ran to quell Brewers fans fears, saying there’s no way the Crew include all three for Machado." -- "What are your thoughts?" -- These are all accurate. Nothing he posted was false and was just citing a source. No need to pick it apart. It's deadline season. Rumors are what most fans want.

There is 4,000 votes on that poll too, btw.

The Orioles have a mountain of leverage here because they set up the Yankees and Red Sox into the mix when I am not sure either team needs him.

I don’t think the Orioles have hardly any leverage, they’ve completely botched the Machado trade, not having traded him before the season. They don’t have much leverage because teams can look at other options.

Angelos family are idiots

They have literally all the leverage. They have by several accounts 7 teams giving them bids on Machado. There is no equivalent to Machado on the market. That is the definition of leverage.

Now, what they will do with that leverage is a different story, since as you correctly pointed out their ownership is horrible.

"Possible package" -- "This contradicts reports we’ve heard" -- "Jon Heyman ran to quell Brewers fans fears, saying there’s no way the Crew include all three for Machado." -- "What are your thoughts?" -- These are all accurate. Nothing he posted was false and was just citing a source. No need to pick it apart. It's deadline season. Rumors are what most fans want.

"Brewers offer for Machado includes Corbin Burnes" -- "According to Jim Bowden, the Milwaukee Brewers have a hefty package submitted to the Baltimore Orioles for Manny Machado." -- "Bowden reports that Milwaukee is offering number two prospect Corbin Burnes, outfielder Keon Broxton and shortstop Orlando Arcia for Machado." -- These are all inaccurate (or at least not what the source indicates)

Archived