Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Whatever needs to happen to make this deal...do it..The sooner the better...The Brewers lineup with Manny in it would be flat out sick. Remember folks, prospects, are just that...prospects. Anytime you can get proven talent(and in this case one of the best in the game), for guys that you have no idea if they will be good major leaguers or not, you simply do it.

Well, I am by no means a prospect hugger, but I wouldn't go that far. You need to find a compromise of which prospects to build around, and which can be used as currency to improve the major league club. I'm sure that's what they are weighing right now. Personally, while Machado is the superior player, I'd give up a much larger package for someone like Realmuto, as he is under team control for several more seasons at a position of need. The chances of the Brewers keeping Machado beyond this year are probably just barely over 0%. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the guy this year (obviously), but some caution needs to be exercised as well when it comes to just how valuable the package they give up is.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How often are the Brewers in this position nearing mid July? Prospects are nice, but we're talking about one of the premier bats in the game. If Ortiz and Phillips isn't quite enough and you absolutely don't want to give up Burnes (and neither do I unless it's in a Syndergard deal), then add a piece from your very deep system.

Yea that's where I'm at too John. Or if Woodruff instead of Ortiz is enough to get it done I probably cave eventually, don't want to but I probably do. I don't know which each side prefers of course.

Agreed with you guys that Burnes is off limits for a rental, even one as good as Machado. Also agree that I'd be open to the 3rd piece. Maybe Diplan? That would create room on the 40 as well.

I think Woodruff OR Ortiz + Phillips + Diplan would probably be my best offer.

I doubt they'd want him given their situation, but maybe they'd take a chance on Villar as the 3rd piece? Spitballing here of course but maybe give him regular PT at SS and see if he can rebound with them. If he does they can flip him next year or just let him fill the gap for a while for them. They're going to need someone to fill in once Machado is gone. And of course I don't know what they have in AAA for SS to bring up.

For us it would be free a 40 man spot and you'd still have Miller, Perez, Saladino to play 2B. Hurts your depth a bit but that still three versatile backups you have for the infield. Basically he seems a bit expendable if you have Machado now and plan on Huera being up next year.

I doubt they'd want him given their situation, but maybe they'd take a chance on Villar as the 3rd piece? Spitballing here of course but maybe give him regular PT at SS and see if he can rebound with them. If he does they can flip him next year or just let him fill the gap for a while for them. They're going to need someone to fill in once Machado is gone. And of course I don't know what they have in AAA for SS to bring up.

For us it would be free a 40 man spot and you'd still have Miller, Perez, Saladino to play 2B. Hurts your depth a bit but that still three versatile backups you have for the infield. Basically he seems a bit expendable if you have Machado now and plan on Huera being up next year.

I think the ship has sailed on turning Villar into something more than what he is. His arbitration is getting somewhat expensive as well. The O's still may take him as filler, but he wouldn't have any value in the trade.

Maybe this has been brought up somewhere in the first 44 pages of this thread, but do we think the O's would have any interest in a Woodruff & Santana package for Machado? They'd get two young, controllable guys that they could immediately plug into their lineup at the big league level in this scenario. Again - this seems like a lot to have to give up for a 2 month rental, but this type of package would allow us to keep all of our top prospects - and it appears that both Woody and Santana are blocked right now at the big league level.

I'd be willing to replace Woodruff with Ortiz if they'd want to go that route, but this seems like a pretty good offer for the O's to consider.

Thoughts?

Maybe this has been brought up somewhere in the first 44 pages of this thread, but do we think the O's would have any interest in a Woodruff & Santana package for Machado? They'd get two young, controllable guys that they could immediately plug into their lineup at the big league level in this scenario. Again - this seems like a lot to have to give up for a 2 month rental, but this type of package would allow us to keep all of our top prospects - and it appears that both Woody and Santana are blocked right now at the big league level.

I'd be willing to replace Woodruff with Ortiz if they'd want to go that route, but this seems like a pretty good offer for the O's to consider.

Thoughts?

Many people think Woodruff may be involved. Especially considering he hasn't pitched in a while. Maybe we are sitting him down to avoid injury and think a trade is relatively imminent. Santana has been mentioned, but less mentioned. O's have a bigger need in CF than a corner if it's an mlb ready guy, hence why Phillips and Broxton are floated.

If we're selling low on Santana (or Arcia for that matter), I'd much rather shop them for prospects than let them go for a rental. Or use them to get a non-rental big leaguer.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

MLB teams need to send scouts to see Manny Machado? lol

I have wondered about that too. Its Manny freaking Machado, and it's also 2018. Surely every team has access to film every second he's on the field if he so much as picks his nose.

I admittedly know basically nothing about scouting but is there really something more than all of that that they can get in person?

This year the Astros got rid of almost all of their advance MLB scouts and put those resources to minors and amateur scouting because every game is televised and data is tracked so well. More teams should do this.

LOL!

I feel like this guy must work for the Orioles, what an awful awful proposal.

Doesn’t seem like what Stearns would do. Broxton I can understand since he’s blocked for the next few years. But selling low on Arcia and sending a guy who can be a solid starter for them for the forseeable future seems a tad unreasonable for a rental. I can’t see Stearns making such a proposal unless he’s confident that he can sign Machado to a long-term deal.

Makes me wonder if this “leak” was generated to get the Dodgers to pony up.

I just can't believe they would throw Burnes into a deal.....I can see Broxton and maybe Arcia......but if they want those 2 then they get a much lighter 3rd piece.

Broxton, Arcia, Wilkerson, and Barnes for Machado and the Orioles' international bonus slots?

Frees up three 40-man spots, gives the O's plenty of of near MLB-ready players, AND the Crew gets some lottery tickets.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

LOL!

Well that's .... something.

Of course, "discussed" could mean:

Arnold: "Hey David, the Orioles asked for Burnes, Broxton and Arcia for Machado."

Stearns: "Where did you hide the camera? I'm on one of those Punk'd shows, right?"

Arnold: "No, that's really what they are asking for."

Stearns: "Well, ok then. Let's do it."

Then Scooby and the gang run in, and pull off the Stearns mask to reveal ... Dave Stewart!

Stewart: "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

I'm sure those names have been discussed, including Arcia. But I can't or at least hope I don't see us having two top guys like that involved. As in if Arcia is on it (if we're down on him and think the SS who got hurt is the future instead) then Burnes won't be. And vice versa. I would just guess we really really value the controlled pitchers.

LOL!

Well that's .... something.

Of course, "discussed" could mean:

Arnold: "Hey David, the Orioles asked for Burnes, Broxton and Arcia for Machado."

Stearns: "Where did you hide the camera? I'm on one of those Punk'd shows, right?"

Arnold: "No, that's really what they are asking for."

Stearns: "Well, ok then. Let's do it."

Then Scooby and the gang run in, and pull off the Stearns mask to reveal ... Dave Stewart!

Stewart: "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

I mean, this has to be a joke right? There is no way Stearns is dumb enough to give up a package like that for a 2 month rental in Machado. I could see the O's asking the Brewers for that package of players, but there's no way that "discussion" would have gone anywhere once it was proposed. Try again Bowden.

If we're selling low on Santana (or Arcia for that matter), I'd much rather shop them for prospects than let them go for a rental. Or use them to get a non-rental big leaguer.

Inclined to agree. I'm hanging onto Arcia pretty much no matter what though. Unless I'm blown away, which won't happen with the season he's having.

Archived