Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Brewers probably have the best offer on the table but it isn't what the Orioles were hoping for. Thus, plenty of "leaks" trying to drive up the price and/drum up alternatives.

Very possible. It does make some sense to try to drive up the price since they have time. Hopefully Stearns has some sort of deadline as the games continue to be played and he becomes less and less valuable to the team trading for him.

With LA ‘moving on’ somewhat already.... if you’re DS do you just ‘drop your offer on the desk’ put a 48 hour window on it and say take it or leave it? Spice it up with a lottery ticket and call it a day. Don’t play the bidding game - let the O’s look foolish and be ok in the long run cause you can maybe go get a Realmuto or somebody instead ?

I think DS probably has more pokers in the fire than we know. This is just the one we know about because its Machado.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If you really want Britton in package, look more at Lucroy Trade. Machado much more valuable hitter but Luc had extra year of control & Jeffress was on fire & control. Due to both Britton & Machado being rentals you won’t need the top centerpiece but a Broxton, Woodruff, and Ortiz. That is two top 100 prospect arms & mlb OF. I think it’s a lot but gets deal done

Why?

If the Brewers need a power arm in the pen, Woodruff seems as good a choice as any. With his velocity, I think he'd be a right-handed Hader.

At this point, my offer would be Broxton, Arcia, and Ortiz for Machado and international bonus money.

I’d take a nice clunker by Brown tonight. Much prefer he stays a Brewer.

Well that didn't happen!

Ugh, should have skipped the start lol Zach Brown just needed to stay on a roll.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’d take a nice clunker by Brown tonight. Much prefer he stays a Brewer.

Well that didn't happen!

Ugh, should have skipped the start lol Zach Brown just needed to stay on a roll.

Well, the only reason he was even speculated on what that they were supposedly skipping his start. Since that didn't actually happen, there is little smoke to tie Brown to the speculation, other than the fact that he is one of many Brewer system pitchers having a good year.

Anyone watching this team day to day struggle to put together innings with multiple hits not wanting Manny is nuts. The guy is a premium stud who adds swagger just by writing his name down on the card. Would not do Brown and Woodruff but they can have Phillips. Peralta and Burnes plus Ortiz give us young pitchers to keep. Throw in Stokes or maybe Gresham.

Everyone *wants* Machado, it's the price for a rental that is the sticking point. And you just made that point by seemingly saying you wouldn't give up Brown, Woodruff, Peralta, Burnes, or Ortiz...I don't know that there's a package we could give up then to get him. Unless you want to deal them Hiura...

I mean I wouldn't do Brown and Woodruff together. I think one is fine. The reality is the guy is a stud but only for two plus months. Mid rotation starter and a starting every day player is plenty.

So does it bother anyone else that there is speculation tonight that the Yankees are showing interest in Machado? Not only do they not have a logical spot for him, it would be an inter-division trade. But national writers are already measuring him for pinstripes. Sheesh.

I remember in spring I wanted the Brewers to make a deal with the Pirates for Cole and Harrison, but was told it was unlikely due to the teams being in the same division. Apparently that doesn't apply to the Yankees, though.

So does it bother anyone else that there is speculation tonight that the Yankees are showing interest in Machado? Not only do they not have a logical spot for him, it would be an inter-division trade. But national writers are already measuring him for pinstripes. Sheesh.

I remember in spring I wanted the Brewers to make a deal with the Pirates for Cole and Harrison, but was told it was unlikely due to the teams being in the same division. Apparently that doesn't apply to the Yankees, though.

It's click bait for fans of the bigger market. Just saw the top story on ESPN.com is "who is the new King of the east" in the NBA. Giannis got the most votes from their panel yet the cover picture is Kyrie Irving. That's media nowadays.

If you really want Britton in package, look more at Lucroy Trade. Machado much more valuable hitter but Luc had extra year of control & Jeffress was on fire & control. Due to both Britton & Machado being rentals you won’t need the top centerpiece but a Broxton, Woodruff, and Ortiz. That is two top 100 prospect arms & mlb OF. I think it’s a lot but gets deal done

Why?

If the Brewers need a power arm in the pen, Woodruff seems as good a choice as any. With his velocity, I think he'd be a right-handed Hader.

At this point, my offer would be Broxton, Arcia, and Ortiz for Machado and international bonus money.

I don’t care about getting Britton, personally I find it to be bad investment. You are taking on a guy trying to come back from injury with no clue if he will once back. Worse no control & big contract. There were mentions of outrageous deals to add him so I gave a more realistic option.

I’m not giving up on a 23 year old SS at least not for a rental. He has been bad offensively this year but not bad enough to throw in a dumpster & give up on. We got plenty of really nice arms coming up. Even Houser can throw hard close to Woodruff. That and OF is an area of strength. SS is not. It hurts way more for future trading Arcia than Woodruff. You are putting all eggs in the Saladino/Dubon basket or have to go out and buy an expense prospect price to bring new one in.

Woodruff has 12 starts & 58 innings as a mlb starter with ERA in the 5s. Looked awful during spring. Brewers gave him spot anyway, did little to show he wanted it. Not saying I’ve given up on him by any means just that I feel Peralta & Burnes are better. He is the 3rd wheel now which makes him more expandable. Next year as of now, you have Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Peralta, Burnes, Guerra, Davies, Suter....Ortiz, Brown, Houser, Medeiros, and Diplan all there in AAA (if Houser doesn’t help in pen in MLB). Maybe Brewers move to sign or trade for frontline guy. Point is Woodruff is good & talented but I won’t loss much sleep over him bringing Machado. Arcia..... that creates a hole. Maybe he sucks again at age 24 but still, a lot of potential there. With Machado, he will have until September to get bat right in AAA.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'd much rather use what resources we have in the system to bring in Noah Syndegaard. We'd have him through 2022 and given that he's only earning about $2.7 million this year versus I think $16 million for Machado, we could maybe bring in Syndegaard and still make a push for some other help upgrades without completely breaking the bank.

This could all turn out like the Darvish reports....let’s all take a breathe here. Stearns is very aware of short and long term risks.

The fact that the Milwaukee Brewers have been prominent (and perhaps leading for a time) bidders on premium players like Darvish and Machado under DS should be exciting enough for us. One of these times it's going to happen.

This could all turn out like the Darvish reports....let’s all take a breathe here. Stearns is very aware of short and long term risks.

The fact that the Milwaukee Brewers have been prominent (and perhaps leading for a time) bidders on premium players like Darvish and Machado under DS should be exciting enough for us. One of these times it's going to happen.

It already happened January 26 when Lorenzo Cain signed his deal. He was and is every bit the star Machado and Darvish are.

It already happened January 26 when Lorenzo Cain signed his deal. He was and is every bit the star Machado and Darvish are.

And Yelich.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Touche.

Avoiding trades inter-division in general is dumb. I can see certain situations where you would want to avoid it, but for the most part, if I'm dealing, I'm taking the best offer, I don't care where it's from.

Baltimore has 25 wins this season. What on earth do they care what Machado does for the next 2 months for the Yankees if they got the best possible return?

The reports of Brett Phillips being of interest to Baltimore make total sense. I had kind of forgotten about the guy. He really needs to get an extended look from somebody - it doesn't seem it's going to happen in Milwaukee any time soon, especially with Braun on the roster. Just not enough playing time with all those guys. Too bad Phillips just isn't playing that well this year. If he had repeated last year's performance, someone would be clamoring for the guy (if he wasn't already up in Milwaukee).

Found this on Twitter :

“I’m a shortstop. I play shortstop.” - Manny Machado, when asked if he’d move back to third base if traded to contender.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived