Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's a little early for a deal to fall through. Probably wouldn't happen until after the break.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you look at Woodruff's and Burnes' minor league peripherals at each level, they're not much different. Woodruff has a higher K rate, slightly higher walk rate.

If what they want is ML-ready players then Woodruff + Phillips + Derby for Machado + international bonus pool $ I think makes sense.

If they're looking at Zack Brown... he's being typical Zack Brown tonight.

Both in AL East maybe they'd be hesitant.

It shouldn't at all if the Yankees decide to include a top prospect or two - in fact if I'm Baltimore I'd almost rather have that. Not like they can do anything about Machado potentially signing there as a FA this offseason anyway, mightaswell try and poach their system if they can.

Very interesting that Zack Brown was scratched and makes it pretty clear that’s why Woodruff isn’t throwing either. A package of Woodruff, Brown, Phillips, and maybe 1-2 more pieces like Nottingham and Erceg to get the deal done if Britton is involved? 5 minor leaguers for 2 too oevel MLB players is reasonable especially if we are able to avoid trading Burnes, Peralta and Hiura. Cubs fans will be pissed if we keep our top 3 prospects cause that’s all I see them saying regarding the Brewers and the Machado rumors. I would hate to see Phillips and Brown traded though but if it’s for Machado I’m all for it. Phillips is blocked anyways and I really hope he catches on somewhere if he can’t here.

Woodruff is in a typical Brewers’ mid season shut down. He’s likely doing some strength and conditioning focus without the pre/post start days and start-day lessened work load. I see Lopez and Bickford/Ortiz being key parts of the deal, with Broxton or Santana as well.

In all seriousness, the Yankees should be calling the Brewers about Eric Thames. Add him and a starting pitcher and they'd be looking pretty good.

They are almost 30 games over 0.500...they're started looking pretty good a long time ago.

I get what you mean, though - to me they should pull out all stops to acquire an impact starter. The AL playoffs are going to be awesome with Houston, Cleveland, Boston, NYY and take your pick of Seattle or Oakland.

Kinda crazy knowing that there's basically no chance for anyone other than the 6 teams i just listed to get one of the 5 playoff spots, and there's still more than 2.5 months left of the season.

Machado's bad defense certainly complicates his value. If they did acquire him, it feels like they'd almost need to recall Arcia as a late game defensive replacement.

This has nothing to do with an imminent trade, but my goodness are the Orioles terrible at asset management. They would have gotten a ton more if they'd traded Arcia last year. Was it also last year that teams wanted to pay a boatload for Britton? They could have restocked their entire farm system on those two deals. Brutal.

Still find it funny some of the packages I see. If this was this time last year, some of the packages would be closer but man.... people out there really overvalue the rental markets. Teams just don’t buy rentals in the way they use to. Bad business.

The Woodruff, Phillips, Brown, Erceg, Nottingham for Machado & Britton?! That seems like it’s coming straight from an Orioles fan fantasy day dream! How awful of an investment is that? Our bullpen is strong & doesn’t need Britton. Mortgage 5 very good mlb prospects for 2 1/2 months?! Stearns would be a laughing stock. He’s not a fool. You trade those 5 in a package, you better be getting a controllable Ace...

If they’re not gonna trade Burnes, Hiura or Peralta then I thought they’d have to throw in an extra. I figure Woodruff, Phillips and Brown is an ideal package for Machado and Erceg and Nottingham would’ve been enough for Britton, although not sure I want him cause I didn’t realize Britton has pitched bad this year. However, he was one of he top relievers in all of baseball from 2014-2017 and he could likely regain that form. Erceg has underperformed this year and Nottingham underperformed for 2-3 years until he reaches Colorado Springs this year, I don’t think teams value them as highly as many here think. I rethought my original package and I’d only trade 4 players rather than 5 due to Britton’s poor play but it seems like the Orioles are now adamant to include him in a package for Machado.

Thank you for posting that Danzig. Like I mentioned earlier, the boards lost their minds when Miller was traded to get some reps at SS. Well here’s Machado and he’s worse defensively but here’s our farm. Makes no sense to me.

Because it's not really similar in terms of offense- Amazingly, Miller is nearly as bad as Machado (-1.5-2 defensive WAR) at SS, but is only worth 2.5-3.5 with his bat. That means Miller is only +0.5-+2 net, Machado could be +4 assuming no defensive improvement....

No question we'd be better with Machado even with his terrible defense at SS, it just makes me less excited about the idea of trading for him if the cost gets driven up high prospect wise.

As exciting as the thought of being in the playoffs with Machado hitting 3rd in the lineup would be, just as easily could arrive in close playoff games is missed opportunities for outs at crucial times because Machado couldn't get to balls that good shortstops are able to.

I rethought my original package and I’d only trade 4 players rather than 5 due to Britton’s poor play but it seems like the Orioles are now adamant to include him in a package for Machado.

If the Orioles try forcing teams to include Britton in a package for Machado, Baltimore should expect less in return, not more given Britton will be owed about five million dollars for his last two months.

Maybe if a trade doesn't go down until around the 31st and Britton is lights out the next few weeks, he won't have negative value. Other than that, he's an anchor added to a Machado trade, not a positive asset.

Machado's bad defense certainly complicates his value. If they did acquire him, it feels like they'd almost need to recall Arcia as a late game defensive replacement.

This has nothing to do with an imminent trade, but my goodness are the Orioles terrible at asset management. They would have gotten a ton more if they'd traded Arcia last year. Was it also last year that teams wanted to pay a boatload for Britton? They could have restocked their entire farm system on those two deals. Brutal.

The Britton decision is just an injury at the worst possible time - he was basically the best reliever in baseball, then he got hurt as the Orioles plummeted out of contention in early 2017 and didn't get back in time healthy enough to warrant a high return. The Orioles would've been nuts to trade him prior to the 2017 season, which would've been when his value was astronomical. They took a gamble this offseason that his 1st half could get teams interested again, and again he got hurt.

That being said, his 2018 has actually been only 11 games, all over the past month. And lately he's been pretty good. His velo isn't back to the high 90's that made him dominate in 2016, but there has been a noticeable uptick in that direction over his past 2-3 outings. Don't discount him as terrible - IF he's healthy, he's a difference maker and would be a huge depth piece to the pen.

Community Moderator

From Jeff Passan...

Sources: Dodgers have stepped up pursuit of a position player and are looking beyond Manny Machado. Have had conversations with Reds about Scooter Gennett, Twins about Brian Dozier and Mets about Asdrubal Cabrera. Dodgers’ versatility allows them to pursue a number of positions.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If you really want Britton in package, look more at Lucroy Trade. Machado much more valuable hitter but Luc had extra year of control & Jeffress was on fire & control. Due to both Britton & Machado being rentals you won’t need the top centerpiece but a Broxton, Woodruff, and Ortiz. That is two top 100 prospect arms & mlb OF. I think it’s a lot but gets deal done

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Anyone watching this team day to day struggle to put together innings with multiple hits not wanting Manny is nuts. The guy is a premium stud who adds swagger just by writing his name down on the card. Would not do Brown and Woodruff but they can have Phillips. Peralta and Burnes plus Ortiz give us young pitchers to keep. Throw in Stokes or maybe Gresham.

Anyone watching this team day to day struggle to put together innings with multiple hits not wanting Manny is nuts. The guy is a premium stud who adds swagger just by writing his name down on the card. Would not do Brown and Woodruff but they can have Phillips. Peralta and Burnes plus Ortiz give us young pitchers to keep. Throw in Stokes or maybe Gresham.

Everyone *wants* Machado, it's the price for a rental that is the sticking point. And you just made that point by seemingly saying you wouldn't give up Brown, Woodruff, Peralta, Burnes, or Ortiz...I don't know that there's a package we could give up then to get him. Unless you want to deal them Hiura...

So much swagger the Orioles have won 25 games and are second to last in runs scored.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the Brewers probably have the best offer on the table but it isn't what the Orioles were hoping for. Thus, plenty of "leaks" trying to drive up the price and/drum up alternatives.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I think the Brewers probably have the best offer on the table but it isn't what the Orioles were hoping for. Thus, plenty of "leaks" trying to drive up the price and/drum up alternatives.

Very possible. It does make some sense to try to drive up the price since they have time. Hopefully Stearns has some sort of deadline as the games continue to be played and he becomes less and less valuable to the team trading for him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Very possible. It does make some sense to try to drive up the price since they have time. Hopefully Stearns has some sort of deadline as the games continue to be played and he becomes less and less valuable to the team trading for him.

With LA ‘moving on’ somewhat already.... if you’re DS do you just ‘drop your offer on the desk’ put a 48 hour window on it and say take it or leave it? Spice it up with a lottery ticket and call it a day. Don’t play the bidding game - let the O’s look foolish and be ok in the long run cause you can maybe go get a Realmuto or somebody instead ?

Archived