Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The price will be brutal but can anyone honestly they'd be upset with getting him? It's a rental, but it's a hell of a rental. If we win the NL it's worth it. Exciting times.

Disagree strongly with price being brutal. Rentals really just don’t get the blockbuster deals they use to. DS has been against rentals for good reason & highly doubt he is going to make a trade that will hurt us moving forward. Hiura, Peralta, Burnes, Arcia are not going to go anywhere. They are more clear shots for the future. If we’d still get a a 1st round pick for him & an even remote chance to sign him, maybe pay more but we don’t have either.

JD Martinez only fetched DBacks #4, #15, and rookie league unranked guy. Hard to say Machado rental will cost too much more than Martinez... DBacks had weak system. Players ended up the 11th, 18th, and unranked in Tigers system.

I feel trade will be very livable. The depth we have created with upper level arms with Peralta, Burnes, Woodruff, Ortiz, Brown, Medeiros, Diplan, Houser, Supek, Ponce and etc makes life easier. Hate to loss both Woodruff plus Ortiz or Brown. Medeiros & Diplan would sting as well as a 2nd pitcher.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If that is true, then they need to find a way to make it work. I would be able to live with anybody going out the door except Hiura and Peralta; not that the rest aren't good but those two have the potential to be really special. I can barely contain myself at the thought of Machado playing out the season here.

Sure. All pluses you mentioned. Except he's here for 2.5 *months* and we'd still have to pay like 7M. Just because we have depth doesn't mean we absolutely need to give them whatever they want or be ok with parting with folks. The way the Brewers have spoken of Brown it sounds like we're looking at someone who's following the Woodruff/Burnes path from the past 2yrs. That's a lot of controllable talent for 2.5 months

Yes we all know he's a rental. Once again, hes an MVP level player at SS. We can't hold on to guys like Phillips/Santana/Broxton forever. If the Orioles covet one of them, and we can acquire Machado without giving up our best prospects, make the trade and don't look back.

The price will be brutal but can anyone honestly they'd be upset with getting him? It's a rental, but it's a hell of a rental. If we win the NL it's worth it. Exciting times.

I’ll be honest about it, I’m not all that thrilled with the idea. I don’t think it pushes us nearly to where we need to be so giving up quality prospects for him kinda stinks to me. I know I’m in the minority...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

On top of the fact he’s still owed 8-9 million for this year. Sad that we are still paying Aramis Rameriez 3 million and Loshe 2.3 million this year. I’m hopeful Stearns surprises me like he has done basically since the get go of his tenure.

Yeah I don't get that mentality at all. This is an MVP player. Any or all of those prospects can be the next Matt LaPorta. This is the Brewers we're talking about. They have been competent lately but I'm tired of prospects. As long as it isn't the elite guys, and it sounds like it wouldn't be, pull the trigger on this, PLEASE.

Sure. All pluses you mentioned. Except he's here for 2.5 *months* and we'd still have to pay like 7M. Just because we have depth doesn't mean we absolutely need to give them whatever they want or be ok with parting with folks. The way the Brewers have spoken of Brown it sounds like we're looking at someone who's following the Woodruff/Burnes path from the past 2yrs. That's a lot of controllable talent for 2.5 months

Yes we all know he's a rental. Once again, hes an MVP level player at SS. We can't hold on to guys like Phillips/Santana/Broxton forever. If the Orioles covet one of them, and we can acquire Machado without giving up our best prospects, make the trade and don't look back.

Huh? Our back and forth has been about you saying Woodruff, Phillips, Brown. My take was that's a massive overpay as Brown is thought of being from the same cut as Woodruff/Burnes and he's already doing it at AA. I said I'd be fine with Woodruff/Phillips because they're at spots of depth. I don't care if he's the greatest player that's ever played the game. You don't just give away anybody and everybody because you have depth. That's impulse driven idiocy at its finest.

More potential Brewer pieces are surfacing on Twitter than anything specific from other teams (Dodgers, Indians, Dbacks, etc)...probably someone with Baltimore leaking these names from potential Brewer offers in hopes to get a different team to pony up a prospect that wouldn't need to get leaked out - they'd just accept the better deal.

Of all the teams potentially involved, I feel like the Brewers would want to make a deal for Machado ASAP using a quantity prospect package while others might like to trade for him but may want to wait a bit to hopefully land him at a reduced price. And the tweet about Baltimore adding Britton to the mix actually makes zero sense for the Dodgers due to luxury tax issues, unless

Baltimore is willing to pay big chunks of their remaining salaries to get a premium prospect or two from LA.

Seems like the Orioles know whatever the Brewers' offer is the best in terms of value, but they want more and are trying to make something happen to land someone they've targeted in the Dodger system...

I’ll be honest about it, I’m not all that thrilled with the idea. I don’t think it pushes us nearly to where we need to be so giving up quality prospects for him kinda stinks to me. I know I’m in the minority...

So drastically improving our worst offensive position when we are currently the team with the best record in the no doesn't get us where we need to be? I think some people decided this team wasn't good enough at the start of the year but haven't noticed how good they actually are. If you are a top 4 team in your league you can win a world series. The Brewers are easily top 4 right now

Britton has terrible numbers this year, but it looks like he had 2 terrible outings and had scoreless appearances in 9 out of 11 outings. More concerning looks like his velocity is down roughly 2 mph. As he's owed roughly $6 million yet this year, I don't know that he really adds positive value to package with Machado.

Huh? Our back and forth has been about you saying Woodruff, Phillips, Brown. My take was that's a massive overpay as Brown is thought of being from the same cut as Woodruff/Burnes and he's already doing it at AA. I said I'd be fine with Woodruff/Phillips because they're at spots of depth. I don't care if he's the greatest player that's ever played the game. You don't just give away anybody and everybody because you have depth. That's impulse driven idiocy at its finest.

JackNicholson1974 proposed that Woodruff, Phillips, Brown trade. I said obviously I would do that if that is what the Orioles asked, because we would be acquiring a great player without giving up our best prospects. No one has suggested that Brown is just a throw-in, or we'll trade Phillips only due to depth, what the hell are you on about?

@BNightengale

The #Orioles have discussed potentially packaging reliever Zach Britton with Manny Machado to enhance the prospect package they”ll receive from #Dodgers or anyone else

Not interested. Dan Jennings has been far more effective. Britton had an elite sinker that was one of the best pitches in baseball. It's not nearly as good, he can't throw strikes consistently, and velo is down. Orioles missed the boat if they're trying attempting to get value for him.

JackNicholson1974 proposed that Woodruff, Phillips, Brown trade. I said obviously I would do that, if that is what the Orioles asked because we could acquire a great player without giving up our best prospects. No one has suggested that Brown is just a throw-in, what the hell are you on about?

lol is this real life? i'm going to go talk to my wall now.

So drastically improving our worst offensive position when we are currently the team with the best record in the no doesn't get us where we need to be? I think some people decided this team wasn't good enough at the start of the year but haven't noticed how good they actually are. If you are a top 4 team in your league you can win a world series. The Brewers are easily top 4 right now

I don’t think the improvement is as drastic as you think it will be. They do play defense too. It’s not that I wouldn’t want him on my team it’s that I don’t want to part with multiple quality pieces for 75 games of Machado. We can improve that position other ways than Machado. Was hoping for a little Stearns creativity. But he’s the big name, so I get peoples excitement.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah I don't get that mentality at all. This is an MVP player. Any or all of those prospects can be the next Matt LaPorta. This is the Brewers we're talking about. They have been competent lately but I'm tired of prospects. As long as it isn't the elite guys, and it sounds like it wouldn't be, pull the trigger on this, PLEASE.

Or Brantley, Cain, Escobar, etc...

If this was such a simple idea and Machado would unlock the "you will win the World Series" code, this trade would've been done yesterday. Unfortunately, it's complicated and a lot of people would prefer to keep the prospects if the price gets steep. And they very likely are not wrong to do so.

I hope if we do get Machado that he's open to playing 3B if Shaw needs a day off or double switching to 3B if a better SS is coming into the game. I know he's insisting on playing SS, but you have to have some flexibility on a contending team.

I think we've figured out fair-value for Machado. We have a lot of depth right now. While not many are studs, there are a lot that are likely to be contributors. We likely don't have room in the future for all of these contributors:

SP- Woodruff, Peralta, Wilkerson, Burnes, Hauser, Bickford, Ortiz, Medeiros, Ortega, Kirby, etc

OF- Santana, Broxton, Phillips, Stokes, Taylor, Ray, etc

I don't see us dealing a catcher or IF, but that gives us lots of depth to deal from.

I hope if we do get Machado that he's open to playing 3B if Shaw needs a day off or double switching to 3B if a better SS is coming into the game. I know he's insisting on playing SS, but you have to have some flexibility on a contending team.

I'd say we're covered at 3b with Shaw, Perez, Miller, and Orf. Heck, Aguilar has played a game or two there. If we get Machado, he's there to start every day and keep the position warm for Arcia next year

But in lineups vs lefties he could go to 3B and Shaw out. Or late game when Arcia is back then he could move to 3B. Or obviously if Shaw were to get hurt then he should be at 3B. Since he's been linked to Cleveland as well, he must be open to it, or at least teams think he's open to it. No way they're moving Lindor off SS for him. I'd guess their good 3B would be moved to 2B (I'm assuming their 2B hasn't rebounded this year, though I haven't looked it up).

Archived