Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

I'm starting to lean against Machado, unless one of two things happen:

1. An extension is agreed to.

2. The price is low (I'm thinking an Ortiz/Arcia/Broxton package at most).

The Crew could be better off getting Starlin Castro and J.T. Realmuto from Miami if bigger names (Burnes, Woodruff, Erceg) are involved.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Burnes and Broxton were talked about I would do Woodruff, Broxton, and a AA-A type arm. I could live with that.

Why are we discounting Woodruff so much? He is every bit the prospect Burnes is ... the only difference is he's got some MLB time. Why in the world would we rather include Woodruff and another good arm than Burnes?

I agree with you that way too many people on here discount Woodruff and his talent. But if I'm choosing who to keep I'm choosing Burnes. His secondary pitches are equal too/slightly better than Woodruff but he has more control and that's the main reason I'd keep him. Again, I don't think we need to give up Burnes to land Machad nor do I think we should. But I would use Woodruff or Ortiz if the secondary piece is Broxton. Santana was mentioned in the article too along with Arcia but they're both better players than Broxton and I think that's definitely an overpay if they're part of it along with one of our Top 5 pitching prospects.

Personally it "feels" like the luster has come off Woodruff. I do agree its more of a "feeling" than anything. Long term my gut says between he and Burnes that Burnes will be the better pitcher. Nothing more or less. If it means him and a Broxton to have Machado instead of anyone else in the NL... I would have to say its darn tempting. IF we can get away with a lesser arm... I'm game! I just think if we were to get him it would take a little bit of a step up.

Personal feeling, Peralta, Burnes, Hiura off limits for a rental.

Orioles get:

Santana/Broxton

Ortiz/Woodruff

3rd piece more difficult to predict could be another AA guy like Stokes. On a higher end Diplan or Erceg

Keep seeing Arcia tossed around on here, don’t see it happening.... not for rental. Gold glove defense, hit okay last year, still very young.... I highly doubt DS & CC are done with him & giving up already.

This is how I feel. I'd be willing to include Zach Davies or Brent Suter as the 3rd piece but Baltimore would have to sweeten the pot a bit. A reliever would make sense but Britton, Brach and Givens all walk way too many for my liking. Maybe a change of scenery would help them though?

@WiscoSportsNut

Is the feeling that a Machado trade may happen sooner rather than later? Like in the next week or so? Or just that talks are getting more serious? The deadline is still over 3 weeks away yet.

I have no problem dealing Arcia - and hope the Crew can get some extension for Machado.

But it would need to be an Arcia/Ortiz package with one of Broxton, Taylor, or Santana.

Starlin Castro would be a cheaper upgrade, and maybe would cost Arcia straight up - control through 2020, long enough to get Carmona close to the majors.

On a related note,

How much in salary room do you guys think the Brewers will have for next season. But any update on the state of the financials and what the ceiling is for a payroll if we made a deep run this season in the playoffs? Basically, what I am saying is with Braun coming off the books in 2020... is Machado a guy you can devote long term big money salary too, or would we cripple the team by doing so.

People, PLEASE for the love of god stop bringing up the possibility that Machado would sign an extension. This is never going to happen and just creates false-hope.

Then I hope the Crew isn't giving up more than Ortiz, Santana, Gatewood, and Wilkerson.

Is the feeling that a Machado trade may happen sooner rather than later? Like in the next week or so? Or just that talks are getting more serious? The deadline is still over 3 weeks away yet.

There have been reports that the negotiations are "on the 35 yd line and driving". The longer the Os wait, the more the price goes down. It benefits the Os to move quick. I would guess this week.

Is Machado the Orioles only All-Star? I know it sounds stupid, (because it is) but I could see Peter Angelos telling his GM to hold off until after the AS game. Especially since the game is in D.C. so close to Baltimore.

That would be the Oriole way though... end up not even trading him, getting nothing in return...

They should have traded him by now this year - they could have gotten more... but they just don't seem to get it. They are shooting themselves in the foot by the day.

They are 37 out. 14 games out of 4th place. This is not new that they are WAY out of it. Head scratching to waste any more time!

Is Machado the Orioles only All-Star? I know it sounds stupid, (because it is) but I could see Peter Angelos telling his GM to hold off until after the AS game. Especially since the game is in D.C. so close to Baltimore.

I was going to post almost this same exact thing ..... it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

That would be the Oriole way though... end up not even trading him, getting nothing in return...

They should have traded him by now this year - they could have gotten more... but they just don't seem to get it. They are shooting themselves in the foot by the day.

They are 37 out. 14 games out of 4th place. This is not new that they are WAY out of it. Head scratching to waste any more time!

Should've traded him last year or before the season - yes.

On trading him earlier this year - that is up for debate. It's possible that they're trying to hold out for better offers and more teams to solidify that they feel like they're in contention. I doubt that the O's are holding out because they think they have a chance in the standings. I could buy that All-Star game thing, though.

On trading him earlier this year - that is up for debate. It's possible that they're trying to hold out for better offers and more teams to solidify that they feel like they're in contention. I doubt that the O's are holding out because they think they have a chance in the standings. I could buy that All-Star game thing, though.

Just think how lucky we are to a. not be in the AL East and b. to have competent ownership and leadership.... if you havent had a chance to follow the links to the Oriole message boards - please do - because they either think that the Orioles are going to botch it and be stuck getting nothing, or they think they are getting Peralta, Hiura, Woodruff, and Ray for Machado, and we will toss in Arcia for fun too. Its funny.

Just think how lucky we are to a. not be in the AL East and b. to have competent ownership and leadership.... if you havent had a chance to follow the links to the Oriole message boards - please do - because they either think that the Orioles are going to botch it and be stuck getting nothing, or they think they are getting Peralta, Hiura, Woodruff, and Ray for Machado, and we will toss in Arcia for fun too. Its funny.

I've said it several times but I'll believe that the O's are stupid enough to value MLB-ready players when I see it. Sometimes ownership does come down and force the hand but man, I feel like Angelos has to have some sense in him.

I've said it several times but I'll believe that the O's are stupid enough to value MLB-ready players when I see it. Sometimes ownership does come down and force the hand but man, I feel like Angelos has to have some sense in him.

From Glenn Davis to Chris Davis.... they have had some interesting moves over the years. I agree with you, however, not dealing manny last year or past offseason... might be the worst error they made. Even if there is a bidding war now... not like it'll be for top top guys. It'll be for who adds a lottery ticket. Or who doesn't ask them to cover some cash.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My guess for an offer is Machado for Broxton and Woodruff. Might take another player, such as Wilkerson.

All three could step into their line up right now, and while none is going to be a superstar, they are the kinds of guys they should take chances on and ride out the good and bad times.

Just a guess.

I saw something the other day with their record over their last 120ish games (don't recall exactly) and if you take that win % over a full season it would be 42 wins. That is just laughably awful, and that's with Machado having by far his best season so far this year.

My guess for an offer is Machado for Broxton and Woodruff. Might take another player, such as Wilkerson.

All three could step into their line up right now, and while none is going to be a superstar, they are the kinds of guys they should take chances on and ride out the good and bad times.

Just a guess.

I would love that deal but if that’s all it would take why hasn’t it happened already? It’s basically just Woodruff for the best offensive infielder in the game. Seems like a no brainer.

I'm still not convinced that the better SS rental play may not be Jed Lowrie? He should cost 1/2 of whatever it would take to get Machado, and Lowrie is a switch hitter that can also play some 2B. I have no idea how he compares to Machado defensively at SS, and it doesn't look like Lowrie has even played a game at SS yet this year.

Then, with the prospects you save getting Lowrie, you could then go out and go big on either a controllable TOR starter like deGrom or Sydergaard (and yes, I know the Mets said they aren't trading them, but you could always make them an offer that they can't refuse) or you could go hard after Realmuto.

I know Lowrie doesn't make the type of "splash" impact that a deal for Machado would make, but I'm just having a hard time seeing MM as the type of guy Stearns would be attracted to. Not to say that he isn't OK going after a rental, but I can't see him wanting to give up a bunch of the top prospects for a guy they'd only have for 3 months.

Thoughts?

I think it’s somewhat funny people are all over Machado’s nards to play SS when he’s a defensive liability there. Two weeks ago we acquire Miller, who’s been awesome for us since the trade, and the world was going to end when he was talked about in playing shortstop.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm still not convinced that the better SS rental play may not be Jed Lowrie? He should cost 1/2 of whatever it would take to get Machado, and Lowrie is a switch hitter that can also play some 2B. I have no idea how he compares to Machado defensively at SS, and it doesn't look like Lowrie has even played a game at SS yet this year.

Then, with the prospects you save getting Lowrie, you could then go out and go big on either a controllable TOR starter like deGrom or Sydergaard (and yes, I know the Mets said they aren't trading them, but you could always make them an offer that they can't refuse) or you could go hard after Realmuto.

I know Lowrie doesn't make the type of "splash" impact that a deal for Machado would make, but I'm just having a hard time seeing MM as the type of guy Stearns would be attracted to. Not to say that he isn't OK going after a rental, but I can't see him wanting to give up a bunch of the top prospects for a guy they'd only have for 3 months.

Thoughts?

Archived