Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

Does anyone think Orioles would take flier on Santana? Outside of Jones who they may also move, their OF is not good & little depth. You buy Santana who is still young & hope he regains 2017 form. Santana, Phillips, Ray, Taylor, Stokes all seem like logical guys who are close to MLB ready who could help them.

Santana, Woodruff, Stokes for Machado.... eat some of the contract

I think Santana could be a viable 4th piece. Something like Woodruff, Ortiz/Burnes, Arcia/Dubon and Santana.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone think Orioles would take flier on Santana? Outside of Jones who they may also move, their OF is not good & little depth. You buy Santana who is still young & hope he regains 2017 form. Santana, Phillips, Ray, Taylor, Stokes all seem like logical guys who are close to MLB ready who could help them.

I think Santana could be a viable 4th piece. Something like Woodruff, Ortiz/Burnes, Arcia/Dubon and Santana.

That's a hell of a lot for half a year.

So the Dodgers have the best offer without including Verdugo or Alvarez? Looks like a lot of people are going to be eating crow on this site if that's the case.

Wait why? I do not remember many people saying they had to offer one of those guys to get Machado...?

This sorta has the feel that it's going to happen.

Any team but the Orioles and I'd disagree. If they truly value major league ready talent (and I believe the Orioles might be the one team that would do that) then we may be uniquely positioned to offer that.

So the Dodgers have the best offer without including Verdugo or Alvarez? Looks like a lot of people are going to be eating crow on this site if that's the case.

Wait why? I do not remember many people saying they had to offer one of those guys to get Machado...?

It was reported by someone unreliable (Joe Arrigo I think) that those two were part of the package and it was "not even close" on Baltimore's end. Total malarkey IMO. Jim Bowden also chimed in riding the coat tails to make it seem like he's not clueless. Dodgers are also a savvy org. They know they have a great chance to sign him in the offseason regardless. I highly highly doubt Verdugo is on the table.

It was reported by someone unreliable (Joe Arrigo I think) that those two were part of the package and it was "not even close" on Baltimore's end. Total malarkey IMO. Jim Bowden also chimed in riding the coat tails to make it seem like he's not clueless. Dodgers are also a savvy org. They know they have a great chance to sign him in the offseason regardless. I highly highly doubt Verdugo is on the table.

It was moreso reported by someone unreliable that the Dodgers had offered both those guys, and then Bowden was saying how it wasn't even close. I don't think many on this board are buying that rumor, the stuff reported by Rosenthal and Heyman is generally going to be more reliable than these randoms.

With a 40 man roster crunch coming in the offseason, I think acquiring Machado should be great use of our depth.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers get the O's to also throw in some in international bonus pool money in the deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I’ll pass on that deal for a rental who is still owed 16 million. I’d gladly pick up a larger chunk of that salary to reduce cost. Long term doesn’t make sense to trade Arcia. Giving up on a young talent at premium spot with not much to replace him. Machado will be gone next year & we will need someone. Saladino the SS of the future? Dubon with 6 great weeks in AAA the future?

If Machado had more control I could see Burns, Arcia being traded but teams just don’t pay those prices anymore for 2 month rentals def ones who have such a big price tag.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If we actually get him... Then roll into the postseason with Chase, Guerra, chacin and Peralta... yikes. Won't feel good about that.

I agree, Machado would give us one of the best offenses in baseball but they would need to make another move to acquire a proven SP.

If they somehow got Machado - you bet your bottom dollar they will get a starter as well. He’s the kind of guy that you push your chips to the middle of the table on.

Eeeeee! Scary!

It is but DS has stocked us so even giving some things up will leave us in a good spot still for the future. That’s what’s awesome about the work he has done. Next man up...

If they somehow got Machado - you bet your bottom dollar they will get a starter as well. He’s the kind of guy that you push your chips to the middle of the table on.

That is what everyone said after they got Cain and Yelich, it didn't happen.

Eeeeee! Scary!

It is but DS has stocked us so even giving some things up will leave us in a good spot still for the future. That’s what’s awesome about the work he has done. Next man up...

Yah, we could get a solid starter and Machado without shedding too many tears. Probably all that witout giving up our big three so to speak.

Just completed surfing around the Orioles website, the Baltimore Sun and the Orioles message boards and this is the information that's out there.

1. The Orioles want two controllable starters. (beat writer on the Orioles own website)

2. Yesterday the Orioles liked the offers in the following order: Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Phillies (from the Baltimore Sun)

3. Word around Baltimore is that the controllable starters need to be MLB ready AND have to be pre-arbitration starting 2019, which would take a candidate like Davies out of the mix (Orioles message board)

The Diamondbacks are apparently still in the mix so the Brewers must have increased the offer in the last 24 hours in order to jump them. Woodruff seems like a natural fit. Not sure if the Brewers can come up with a second pitcher that fits the bill. Peralta really can't be traded at this point since he's a rotation piece. IMO including Burnes is giving up too much for a rental. Ortiz most of the other Brewer pitching prospects are not MLB ready IMO. Is it possible that the Orioles see Houser as starter long-term? If so, he could be the second pitching piece. Hard for me to believe Suter would be attractive to an AL East team, but I guess he can't be completely ruled out.

I am certainly getting the vibe that the Orioles want to move Machado early and the first team that throws out two pitchers that meet the criteria will probably land him. I would assume the Dodgers have put Dennis Santana on the table. Caleb Ferguson (or maybe Brock Stewart) could be candidates here as well. To me it looks like the Dodgers have slightly better second pieces than Milwaukee (although I'd take Woodruff over Santana, etc) so that might give them the advantage.

Nice detective work there on that info. It excites me to be close. If we do lose out to the Dodgers, I bet DS goes back door on some other piece like Realmuto. In addition to a starter. Although I don’t know we ‘need’ a starter. Just would like to have somebody to stack up in a one game playoff or must win game.

Whatever does happen, a game like today shows we don’t ‘need’ Machado. But think of the energy it would give the club and the fan base. It would be like CC’s starts in 2008 but every day. It makes financial sense in that aspect as well as the put us over the top in the NL part!

@Ken_Rosenthal

#Dodgers, #Brewers most serious for #Orioles’ Machado, sources tell The Athletic. #Indians also in mix, though taking on rest of Machado’s $16M might be obstacle. Question remains: Will O’s ownership view offers practically or slow down process by asking for other players?

Things could get very interesting, very fast

Doesn't take a lot to connect the dots that Woodruff is the headliner in a potential Machado package.

Where are you getting that?

Not sure if the Brewers can come up with a second pitcher that fits the bill.

Wilkerson, Derby, Perrin. Hell, take two of those three. For 3 months of Machado I wouldn't give up two of Woodruff/Houser/Burnes/Ortiz/Brown, and Peralta is off the table. If they want another piece they can have Stokes, maybe Dubon.

Maybe I'd include Ortiz if the O's sent back enough International Bonus Pool $... and the Brewers had high upside players to sign with it.

Community Moderator
Buster Olney on Twitter...

Source on where the Orioles seem to be in their Manny Machado trade process: "(Opponents') Thirty-five yard-line, and driving."

Just came to post about that. I understand using the whole “at the goal line” analogy, but kind of funny we now have to envision the trade talks progressing to the point where a team is on the brink of field goal range.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived