Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

To be a devil's advocate on the payroll comments....on the other hand, Machado is the type of guy that could extend the range of our fan base and allow us to up that payroll above the historical range for the long term. No, I don't foresee us signing him long term, but guys like Machado would increase interest in the Brewers significantly.

He'd have to totally fall in love with Milwaukee in the next 3 months to the point where he wanted to take a discount to stay. And even that 'discount' would be something like 6/180.

I'm not going to say never, because stranger things have happened, but pretty much no chance.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be a devil's advocate on the payroll comments....on the other hand, Machado is the type of guy that could extend the range of our fan base and allow us to up that payroll above the historical range for the long term. No, I don't foresee us signing him long term, but guys like Machado would increase interest in the Brewers significantly.

We basically have the entire state of Wisconsin. Our fan base is as extended as it's going to be.

Your logic is to spend $3 to get $1.

No way is Machado going to sell enough jerseys and merchandise to pay for his contract, not even close. The only way he will attract more people to the gate is by helping us win. The payroll just cannot fit it.

Machado will not be a Brewer in 2019. The odds are so remote, and I'd go far as to say they are virtually zero if he ends the season healthy. I'm not sure why it keeps getting discussed, trading for Trout is far more likely than signing Machado in 2019...and that is virtually zero.

The article is interesting. Nothing overly specific and I could buy it. I'm not sure how so much information was made available, if the info is legit and this many offers are on the table...I would expect him traded fairly soon, possibly before next weekend.

This is a big dilemma for the Crew

It's not really a dilemma tbh. Whether he'd improve us or not is easy; He would. By a lot. So that's no dilemma. As for the cost of acquiring him: You make your best assessment of how valuable he is going to be for playoff chances, and playoff success, this year. You create some offers commensurate with that value. That's either accepted, or it's not. It would only be a real dilemma if we were in any kind of "now or never" situation, where going all-in on this season was even an option. It's not, so there's nothing preventing a value-based approach (Which Stearns seems to stick to) to this move. If it makes sense and the price is reasonable, the move gets made. If it doesn't, he goes somewhere else and we don't get involved in a bidding war beyond what we want to give up.

We're not at the point yet where a Chapman-style move would make sense. So stick to the plan. Go big only for a controllable asset.

So the Dodgers have the best offer without including Verdugo or Alvarez? Looks like a lot of people are going to be eating crow on this site if that's the case.

Gotta assume we could get by without offering Hiura if that is the case.

IMO Verdugo should probably be off the table in a deal for just Machado. But I certainly don't think having Alvarez in that deal is unreasonable. The scouting reports on Alvarez at the end of last year were terrible. He can't throw anything off-speed in the strike zone, and every fastball he threw ended up right down the middle and minor leaguers were having no trouble hitting those fastballs. Then he came out this year and posted a 20 BB/17 K ratio before getting hurt and then sent out to rehab in rookie ball (where he showed he can get age 18 players out).

I think a fair deal with the Dodgers would involve the Orioles getting 2 of the following 4 players: D.J. Peters, Yadier Alvarez, Dustin May, Gavin Lux.

I wonder if the O's would have interest in taking back Davies as part of a deal for Machado?

With his current injury, I doubt it, but I think you're on the right track.

I don't think Baltimore will pull an elite prospect in the return for Machado, and they've said they want multiple MLB-ready players in return, so I could see them taking a young veteran back as part of the deal.

I think that plays in the Brewers' favor, because we have Arcia, Broxton, Davies, Santana, and Villar, for example - guys who have had success in the big leagues at some point, and who have multiple seasons of control left - if I'm Baltimore, and if that obvious prospect can't be had, I go for multiple players, to increase my odds of having success in this deal.

The stock on these guys is down right now, so go get them, and wind up with 3-4 guys. I think the Orioles should push it, and ask for Arcia, Santana, Woodruff, and a kid - whoever the teams can agree on - guys like Erceg, Gatewood, Houser, Medeiros, Diplan and Stokes.

In that scenario, the question the Brewers have to ask is, "Are we willing to enter 2019 with neither Arcia, nor Machado here to play SS?" That's a risky move, but the rest of what they'd be giving comes from depth, the risk at SS going forward is the real price we'd be paying.

If Milwaukee thinks adding Machado gets them to the 2018 World Series, and if no team throws that elite prospect at the Orioles, I think the Brewers are very well positioned to get him.

I wonder if the O's would have interest in taking back Davies as part of a deal for Machado?

With his current injury, I doubt it, but I think you're on the right track.

I don't think Baltimore will pull an elite prospect in the return for Machado, and they've said they want multiple MLB-ready players in return, so I could see them taking a young veteran back as part of the deal.

I think that plays in the Brewers' favor, because we have Arcia, Broxton, Davies, Santana, and Villar, for example - guys who have had success in the big leagues at some point, and who have multiple seasons of control left - if I'm Baltimore, and if that obvious prospect can't be had, I go for multiple players, to increase my odds of having success in this deal.

The stock on these guys is down right now, so go get them, and wind up with 3-4 guys. I think the Orioles should push it, and ask for Arcia, Santana, Woodruff, and a kid - whoever the teams can agree on - guys like Erceg, Gatewood, Houser, Medeiros, Diplan and Stokes.

In that scenario, the question the Brewers have to ask is, "Are we willing to enter 2019 with neither Arcia, nor Machado here to play SS?" That's a risky move, but the rest of what they'd be giving comes from depth, the risk at SS going forward is the real price we'd be paying.

If Milwaukee thinks adding Machado gets them to the 2018 World Series, and if no team throws that elite prospect at the Orioles, I think the Brewers are very well positioned to get him.

I think Dubon would make it easier to trade Arcia. He's a high end defender in his own right and shouldn't have a problem exceeding the offensive production that Arcia has brought to the table.

I feel like where ever Machado is traded, the general feeling is that the return will be underwhelming. Teams just aren't giving up prospect hauls for rentals anymore.

And teams shouldn’t because it is not smart to do so. Never has been which stuns me that a lot of fans want to see us back up the farm for him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

All star team is announced tonight. Have to assume Manny is the Orioles only representative and is currently the leader for starter. Things seem to be heating up to where he could go any day. How does this affect the all star rosters if he's traded to an NL team before the game? I could see the Os wanting to wait till after the game, but I don't see the receiving team being happy with that.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

How does this affect the all star rosters if he's traded to an NL team before the game?

Per MLB's Allstar Game Roster Guidelines...

He'd still line up with the AL for introductions and be recognized as an Orioles All-Star selection but he'd wear a generic "American League" jersey. He'd also be ineligible to play in the game.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

They want left side infielders and pitching. Woodruff, Dubon, Arcia, Erceg, Ortiz, Brown, Davies - Pick 2, we'll throw in a PTBNL.

Pretty much spot on, but I'd take out Brown as the Brewers are very high on him and perhaps add Phillips as the O's are set to lose Adam Jones so a ML-ready CF might interest them. It would also have to be one of Dubon/Arcia and not both. Toss in their choice of Wilkerson or Bubba Derby as that PTBNL, maybe an upgrade to Supak or Medeiros if the Brewers get to the World Series.

Ortiz + Dubon + Derby to rent Machado? I'd be all over that.

The great thing is that the Cubs are listed as having the least appealing offer. Not surprising as they don't have squat in the minors. They'd have to part with Russell or Happ.

I feel like where ever Machado is traded, the general feeling is that the return will be underwhelming. Teams just aren't giving up prospect hauls for rentals anymore.

And teams shouldn’t because it is not smart to do so. Never has been which stuns me that a lot of fans want to see us back up the farm for him.

Gone are the days where you receive a 1st round comp pick for losing rentals so you no longer even get anything back. Paying a big load for 2 months is pretty big risk

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Rosenthal and Heyman both reporting Dodgers and Brewers are "most serious" or "in the lead" on Machado.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

@Ken_Rosenthal

#Dodgers, #Brewers most serious for #Orioles’ Machado, sources tell The Athletic. #Indians also in mix, though taking on rest of Machado’s $16M might be obstacle. Question remains: Will O’s ownership view offers practically or slow down process by asking for other players?

Things could get very interesting, very fast

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
@Ken_Rosenthal

#Dodgers, #Brewers most serious for #Orioles’ Machado, sources tell The Athletic. #Indians also in mix, though taking on rest of Machado’s $16M might be obstacle. Question remains: Will O’s ownership view offers practically or slow down process by asking for other players?

Doesn't take a lot to connect the dots that Woodruff is the headliner in a potential Machado package.

@Ken_Rosenthal

Doesn't take a lot to connect the dots that Woodruff is the headliner in a potential Machado package.

Yep, "Brewers planned a break heading into this week’s Triple-A All-Star break in part to manage Woodruff’s innings". Right.

Archived