Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado (Part 1)

I'm thinking a Woodruff and someone like Gatewood , it's only for 2 months even that might be over paying.

I 100% disagree with this. There is ZERO reason the Brewers couldn't/shouldn't sign him long term...they have the payroll flexibility to do it easily.

Whaaaaaat? You think the Brewers could hand out a $300+ million dollar deal easily?

Mark could definitely afford it. Zero chance of it happening, but it could be done.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking a Woodruff and someone like Gatewood , it's only for 2 months even that might be over paying.

I 100% disagree with this. There is ZERO reason the Brewers couldn't/shouldn't sign him long term...they have the payroll flexibility to do it easily.

Wowza...I wish the Brewers could sign him long term and not have it dramatically impact how they operate over the next decade but I just don't see it. The Brewers can only compete regularly with the big markets by having substantial depth and allocating so many resources to 1 of 25 would inhibit them from accumulating that depth.

Please remove Peralta from these trade offers. The thought of including him for a 2 month rental is just plain asinine.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm probably just dreaming, but now I'm thinking Machado might be available for a fairly reasonable price. His hitting has really dropped off over the last month. Slash line over the last 30 days is .250/.317/.424/.741. He'd only be grading as a 1.8 WAR player over the course of a full season with that slash line added to the subpar defense at shortstop.

Page 10, post 189 I kind of threw out some fair examples of a Machado to Milwaukee trade but at the time didn't think any of them were realistic. Now I'm not so sure. And this is maybe completely without merit, but I just get the feeling that opposing organizations will really try to low-ball the Orioles since they are so down. I don't think it would be crazy to call Baltimore and start by offering Trey Supak and Jake Gatewood and maybe a plus-fringe prospect like Demi Orimoloye and see if that could get the ball rolling? I'd put the prospect surplus value of this package at 13.71 million, and would place the surplus value of the compensatory pick at 11.45 million...so the package would be above the minimum required to even bother making the phone call IMO.

If only it was that easy to grade out a player during a slump and call it a day. Why do you get to throw out the hot stretches and call the cold stretch as what is to be expected? Doesn’t really make a ton of sense.

No promises he is going to hit like 2015-2016 Machado, but you aren’t going to pay the .741 OPS price he has had the last month.

The competition to get him will be pretty high and likely drive up the price. I don’t think he costs any elite prospects, but probably guys you wouldn’t want leaving for a 2 month rental.

If only it was that easy to grade out a player during a slump and call it a day. Why do you get to throw out the hot stretches and call the cold stretch as what is to be expected?

I think you get what I originally posted on page 10. Taking what he had done over the course of the year (to that point), he was good for about a 3 WAR price-tag. Even though my proposals on that page were fair, I didn't believe that would be enough to land Machado. Now I think those proposals might actually be in the ballpark. Not only has Machado's offensive production really slipped, but since that post the acquiring team will have lost 10 days of Machado's contribution. All that I'm saying is that up until now I didn't really think it was even worth making a phone call. But now it might be. Supak/Gatewood/Orimoloye won't get a deal done, but IMO it's now a decent enough offer to get into Machado discussions.

I would be mildly annoyed if the Brewers traded for Machado. I think it'll cost way more than it'd be worth to us.

However, I would be really upset if they traded for him AND signed him. That is no way for a team like Milwaukee to operate. There are so many things that can go wrong that would cripple the franchise for years on end.

Fortunately there is little chance they trade for him and right-next-door-to-zero chance they would sign him long term.

I highly doubt he'd sign an extension before this offseason. He's gonna wait until this offseason and I'd prefer to sign him there if the imaginary scenario happened there. I know I had said this probably wasn't possible a few pages earlier, but just for fun even though the chances of it are .00001%, I think it would go like:

Machado gets 8 years, $255 million. Opt-outs after 2 and 5 years. I'm probably even undershooting this. It might be closer to $300 since the big markets have been holding out for these guys.

$35, $40, $35, $35, $35, $25, $25, $25

You'd non-tender Miller, Perez, and likely Villar in this case. Give away Chase Anderson for a high ceiling prospect. Somebody is likely willing to pay him $6 million next year with options after that.

You might be able to squeeze in at $130 million in that case for the next 2 seasons which is probably a pipe dream max of what Attanasio would be willing to pay to "go for it" for a few years.

I'd say backload it to pay him once Braun is gone, but Machado's gonna want to get paid big early and have opt-outs.

The only other way to maybe do it is tell him he's not getting opt-outs but give him even more ($300 million for 8 years?) where you're basically paying him $40+ million in his final 3-4 seasons. Still probably undershooting it, though.

Cocaine is a helluva drug. Machado ain't signing here long term and the Brewers aren't doing it either.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Ya, no way the Brewers could or should sign Machado long term.
Cocaine is a helluva drug. Machado ain't signing here long term and the Brewers aren't doing it either.

Hey, it's almost like I said that in my post and said this is for fun purposes only.

I'll edit and bold it.

I get that it is rather unlikely that Machado would sign here long term or that the Brewers would do it either. However, you guys don't have to be dbags about it for people that think it's possible.

I get that it is rather unlikely that Machado would sign here long term or that the Brewers would do it either. However, you guys don't have to be dbags about it for people that think it's possible.

:rolleyes

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It’s not unlikely, it isn’t going to happen period. If you think there is even a sliver of a possibility you need to learn how baseball works and the financial structure of the Milwaukee Brewers specifically.

I’m not trying to be condescending...but sometimes an idea is so crazy it’s probably good people shoot it down

If anyone thinks there is even a sliver of possibility they need to start finding the most basic articles about baseball financials and start working their way up.

Because sorry, signing Machado is beyond a fantasy land.

if the Brew would offer him $300 million he would decline and sign with Philly or the Yankees for 200-250.

I'd take that bet! Money talks for these guys, and if we offered the guy 50 - 100 million more, he'd be a Brewer.

Seems silly to even have the discussion though, as the Brewers are not, and never will be financially able to sign a guy to that kind of contract. I'm actually surprised that even one person thinks it is a possibility.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Here's the latest on the Machado Sweepstakes... Brewers a re mentioned...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/manny-machado-trade-rumors-dodgers-diamondbacks-phillies-orioles.html

Latest On Manny Machado

By Steve Adams | June 27, 2018 at 8:35pm CDT

Manny Machado will be the most oft-discussed player in baseball from now until the point that he’s ultimately traded, and Orioles general manager Dan Duquette said for the second time this month that interest in the free-agent-to-be is greater than it was when the O’s made him available in the offseason (link via Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com).

“There are some teams that are in the market for help on the left side of the infield and some are looking for a shortstop and some are looking for a third baseman,” said Duquette. The asking price on Machado, of course, figures to be fairly steep — and the sheer volume of teams who could show interest can only help the Orioles. Kubatko notes that controllable starting pitching is a known priority for the Orioles, as is finding a potential replacement for Machado.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that, among the teams with interest in Machado, the Dodgers are perceived by some in the industry as the favorites to land Machado. Los Angeles has gone 26-10 to surge back up the ranks in the National League West, and they’ve done so without the benefit of star young shortstop Corey Seager, whose season ended back in May when he required Tommy John surgery. Machado could step into that void, of course, and provide a massive upgrade at the plate while freeing Chris Taylor and Enrique Hernandez to bounce around the diamond.

Per Nightengale, the O’s have placed a heavy focus on scouting the Dodgers’ minor league system. However, there are numerous other clubs at least keeping tabs on Machado, per the report, including the Phillies, the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals. There’s also industry speculation that the NL Central-leading Brewers could jump into the mix, given their aggressive offseason, an expected tight race in the division and the struggles of Orlando Arcia. And, of course, other clubs could yet emerge as potential suitors. The Angels, for instance, learned today that they’ve likely lost Zack Cozart for the rest of the year due to a torn labrum in his left shoulder that will require surgery.

One of those clubs, the Diamondbacks, has a particularly compelling case to add Machado to its ranks, as Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic explores. With A.J. Pollock and Patrick Corbin up for free agency following the season and Paul Goldschmidt only controlled through 2019, Piecoro argues that the Diamondbacks will never have a better chance to win with this core of players than they do right now. The front office has already been aggressive in acquiring Brad Boxberger, Jon Jay and Steven Souza Jr. (even if that move has yet to pay dividends), and it would indeed seem curious to take the metaphorical foot off the gas pedal now.

The Machado sweepstakes, clearly, will be one of the more intriguing storylines to follow this summer and again in free agency. There’s no clear timetable for when a trade might come together, but Duquette didn’t mince words when acknowledging that his club has “declared as sellers” and suggesting that there’s a “more defined” market for Machado this time around. Nightengale does note, though, that one Orioles exec predicted that based on the manner in which the market is coming together, it’s possible that Machado could be moved before the All-Star break.

I do think the Brewers can be very competitive with the Machado sweepstakes because they have so many close to major league starting pitchers. That being said, they could set their sights on Eduardo Escobar, and I'd be fine with that. Even Jordy Mercer to mix in with Miller might be an option.

I think my posts are the ones in question and I don't even think it's possible. I was just going through the exercise for fun.

I think my posts are the ones in question and I don't even think it's possible. I was just going through the exercise for fun.

If you go through the 13 pages there was a legit discussion about it and many people claiming the possibility of it. It’s not just your posts...maybe not yours period.

Archived