Brewer Fanatic

Middle Infield Problems

pacopete4
I will say that this is a partial reaction to today’s game but it has to be asked. Why is Eric Sogard on this team and Mauricio Dubon not? I am a Villar supporter but there are plenty of at bats for Dubon to get at SS and 2B if used correctly. This could eliminate having Sogard and/or possibly Perez.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Actually that crossed my mind watching the game today as I saw Dubon hitting 300+ at AAA (granted that is mostly in Colorado). And that was even before Sogards gaffs at SS.

Frankly, I'm not sure why Sogard is at SS over Villar either...

Disclaimer A: I'd absolutely go with Dubon and would've before the season.

Disclaimer B: I realize Sogard is older and Dubon is closer to a prime age.

All of that said:

Take a look at Sogard's minor league stats compared to Dubon. Basically the same player and Sogard was arguably better given K/BB rates.

Now, that isn't a perfect comparison. Not all guys are even coming out of the minors. But I'd also pump the brakes on Dubon hype. Again, though, I'd rather go for him simply for what we saw today. I would just completely assume that Dubon is more of a defensive asset at this point in his career and make that play.

If Dubon can’t top Sogard, then let’s find out now so we can move on from him too.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Dubon can’t top Sogard, then let’s find out now so we can move on from him too.

Certainly some truth to that. A couple of years ago they tried to give Sardinas a chance, saw what they had and got rid of him when they didn't like what they saw.

Interesting slash lines for Sogard.

When playing second base = .267/.353/.400/.753

When playing shortstop = .000/.036/.000/.036 (0/27 with 1 BB)

There are enough at bats where one has to wonder if there is something mental going on there.

I know he made an error today but the reason Sogard plays short when Arcia doesnt play is because Villar is a horrible defensive SS.

CC isn't stupid....the staff doesn't want Villar to,play short if they can avoid it.

It's been a tough start defensively for our infield but they had righted the ship pretty well before the error cost them today.

Sogard biggest issue is he isn't hitting at all......even good utility guys need to hit a little and right now both of ours suck at the plate.

It's a long season though.....CC and Stearns will give them time.

[sarcasm]can we change the name of the thread to 'sogard- when do you DFA?' ?[/sarcasm] Btw, the answer is yesterday.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

[sarcasm]can we change the name of the thread to 'sogard- when do you DFA?' ?[/sarcasm] Btw, the answer is yesterday.

I like Sogard. He's in a funk now (like Santana). He had some bad "luck" on hard hit balls, and his d is still solid, even with the error FridAy. He'll be better. I will changevmy tune in June if he doesn't come around.

Villar is the one that cannot be trusted In the field or on the bases.

Sogard does tend to give good ABs and see pitches, but Villar's approach looks much better to me this year. I woild rather have Sogard at SS, of course, but he seems like exactly a replacement level player ro me.

I think the issue is partly that we have three gius on the roster who all do the same thing. Since Perez is more versatile and Villar has more upside, I just see Sogard as a redundancy. Nothing against him, and the 2B/SS spilts are interesting, but I don't see why he is getting so many ABs.

I think Stearns had a great offseason, but not acquiring a decent 2B option is a bit of.a black mark. Imagine this lineup with Neil Walker written in most days.

Sogard had a .380 OBP last season. I think Stearns saw that and didn't think he could find a better player for a cheaper price. Even if he is stinking now, his glove is an upgrade over Villar, and if you need a pinch hitter to JUST MAKE contact, he's a top the list....

Sogard had a .380 OBP last season. I think Stearns saw that and didn't think he could find a better player for a cheaper price. Even if he is stinking now, his glove is an upgrade over Villar, and if you need a pinch hitter to JUST MAKE contact, he's a top the list....

All that is fair. I think last year's OBP is due for regression, but I understand why Sogard got a shot on the roster and a contract. He does usually give a decent AB, and it isn't like he has no business in the majors.

Ultimately, this comes down to preference and the question of how long you keep trying him on the assumption that .380 OBP or even .330 is a legit expectation. That is all fine and good, and we will differ on that point. What I really struggle to grasp is why Sogard is getting so many starts at SS in the early going. If Arcia is hurt, fine, but I think he just needs to be your starter when healthy. Seeing both Sogard and Perez in the same lineup is tough for me to grasp when Villar has looked better than both offensively and Arcia is healthy.

But I'd also pump the brakes on Dubon hype.

Hype is a big overstatement. Just another option. I'm sure he could do better on offense (118/182/358) and defense right now. That isn't a high bar.

The defense is a big question mark for Dubon. He struggled with it in spring training, and already has 6 errors in AAA. Offensively, he's drawn just one walk. Sogard is a problem, but the answer isn't in the organization yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Villar has been okay. Sogard has not. If you believed in his .380 OBP last season, I’ve got a bridge to sell you. And Stearns might get another crack at Walker because he has about a .400 OPS going in NY and a decent chance he’s DFA’d.

Imagine this lineup with Neil Walker written in most days.

Can't play SS, big downgrade from Thames or even Choi at 1B, not an appropriate platoon partner for Shaw because he's not good as an RHB, OPS = .413, significantly worse defender at 2B than Sogard... what's not to love? Maybe the Brewers can trade for him again this year.

The way I see it, the only "problem" with the middle infield is that the Brewers are just a few years into a tear-it-down rebuild and you can't expect them not to still have a few bad players at the bottom of the roster, like nearly every single other team in baseball - rebuilding or not, big market or not, contending or not. And Sogard's .167 BABIP will improve quite a bit.

Imagine this lineup with Neil Walker written in most days.

Can't play SS, big downgrade from Thames or even Choi at 1B, not an appropriate platoon partner for Shaw because he's not good as an RHB, OPS = .413, significantly worse defender at 2B than Sogard... what's not to love? Maybe the Brewers can trade for him again this year.

The way I see it, the only "problem" with the middle infield is that the Brewers are just a few years into a tear-it-down rebuild and you can't expect them not to still have a few bad players at the bottom of the roster, like nearly every single other team in baseball - rebuilding or not, big market or not, contending or not. And Sogard's .167 BABIP will improve quite a bit.

Maybe I'm behind the curve, but I just don't see Walker's lack of versatility as an issue given Perez's presence on the roster. He's an offense-first 2B with a good enough arm to play in the shift. That's fine with me given Arcia's range at the other MI spot.

He gives you the same quality ABs as Sogard with a much more dependable slash line. I mean, it's baseball and random, but Walker seems to me just a clearer bet to put up significantly better WAR this year. I get it. He might not, and he's more expensive. But that is a bet I would have made. Small market teams have to target marginal improvements.

I hope I am wrong and Sogard starts to walk and get his doubles. A dependable MI bat would be awesome.

Why do we think Sogard is so good defensively? He throws like a middle schooler.

I think Stearns had a great offseason, but not acquiring a decent 2B option is a bit of.a black mark. Imagine this lineup with Neil Walker written in most days.

Apparently you haven’t seen anything that Neil Walker has done this year. Already benched and probably close to being DFA

Apparently you haven’t seen anything that Neil Walker has done this year. Already benched and probably close to being DFA

If he does get DFA'd, they should pick him up in flash. He's got too long of a track record, especially in the NL Central, to be scared away by 100 or so poor AB's.

Why not give Nate Orf a shot? He's hit at every level, can play all over, doesn't strike out much and is decent with the glove. His minor league numbers compare favorably with Whit Merrifield who finally got a shot with Royals after years of toiling in the minors.

He was an obvious regression candidate but given his good chemistry component they gave him a chance. Hopefully he turns it around to at least his career norms, which isn’t much, and soon.

The good news is there is no shortage of good glove no hit utility guys to pick up on the cheap.

They must think Colorado hitting stats are completely worthless because Dubom seems like the obvious next man up even with his fielding concerns.

Archived