Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-27: Brewers (Suter) at Cubs (Darvish) 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate playing the Cubs. It doesn't help that their bad pitching staff has been Kershaw x 4 against us this year.

Get some runs, please.

Their pitching staff is good to great, being shut down by them isn’t a crazy thing to happen and they are all due for bounce back starts and it’s just seems like bad luck those are coming vs us

5 IP 3 ER is still a pretty bad line.

That would be a 5.40 ERA, which would have been the second worst in the entire NL last season among qualified starters

Just out of curiosity, how many guys you'd qualify as 5th starters actually make the list of qualified starters?

You could obviously do better than that line, but especially with our bullpen, that line is going to keep us in ball games.

It was only 32 last year, if I lower the limit to 90 IP that gives 72 pitchers (almost 5 for each of the 15 teams), a 5.40 would be good for 62nd place, so I guess it would be among the top half of #5 pitchers

If you are talking about Woodruff, I get it. If you are talking about Burnes and Peralta, look at both of their most recent lines. More seasoning needed.

They are getting seasoned, seared, and served by Colorado Springs. Get them the heck out of there and they will be just fine.

I agree. It's been bad. It isn't bad. The fact that it has been bad against everyone but us is frustrating.

Also, 7 runs in 5 games is really bad no matter who is pitching. And 5 of those in one game. I get SSS and c., but I want something good to happen on offense against the Cubs.

Well, so far he is through 4 innings at 77 pitches and has only given up 2 runs. Sooooooo.... yeah. Not too bad so far. We should probably try to score some more runs. That may help things out a bit.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If you just look at ERA, assume the #1 pitchers have the lowest 15, and the #2 pitchers have 16-30 etc...here are the types of pitchers the playoff teams had last year:

Washington #1, #1, #1 (Scherzer, Strasberg, Gonzalez) #4 (Roark) #5 (combo)

Cubs #1, #1 (Hendricks, Montgomery) #2 (Arrieta) #3 (Lester) #4 (Lackey)

Dodgers #1, #1, #1, (Kershaw, Wood, Hill) #2, (Ryu) #3 (Maeda)

So the Nats did thrive with a Suter type starter, but they kinda made up for that by having 3 of the top 10 pitchers in the league. Looks like in general the playoff type teams do not have Suter types getting regular starts

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, so far he is through 4 innings at 77 pitches and has only given up 2 runs. Sooooooo.... yeah. Not too bad so far. We should probably try to score some more runs. That may help things out a bit.

I think he elicits that negative response because when he doesn't start with great location, his stuff just appears so easily hittable. But from the 2nd-4th innings today, his location has been great, and so have the results. He is frustrating to watch because when he isn't on, he looks like one of the worst pitchers in the league. But when he can locate, he is a middle-of-rotation guy.

It'll be really fun when his stat line is something like 5IP - 3R - 7H - 3BB :laughing

Yep, pretty much. There are always going to be people out there who hate Suter because he doesn't throw 95. If he keeps you in games, what else do you want from a #4/5 starter?

And it is not like he's getting the support of our best players. We've tossed out the B-lineup in support.

Who? Braun isn't out there, but you've got Shaw, Yelich, Cain, Aguilar... if you would have rather gone Braun and Aguilar in instead of Santana and Aguilar I can't argue but other than that they should be able to do more than this. My feelings about Sogard are well known but it's not like Arcia is a bat you miss.

If you just look at ERA, assume the #1 pitchers have the lowest 15, and the #2 pitchers have 16-30 etc...here are the types of pitchers the playoff teams had last year:

Washington #1, #1, #1 (Scherzer, Strasberg, Gonzalez) #4 (Roark) #5 (combo)

Cubs #1, #1 (Hendricks, Montgomery) #2 (Arrieta) #3 (Lester) #4 (Lackey)

Dodgers #1, #1, #1, (Kershaw, Wood, Hill) #2, (Ryu) #3 (Maeda)

So the Nats did thrive with a Suter type starter, but they kinda made up for that by having 3 of the top 10 pitchers in the league. Looks like in general the playoff type teams do not Suter types getting regular starts

The Brewers just aren't likely to ever be a team that can ever have that kind of rotation, so relying on that metric to win a WS is probably not going to be the way to go.

I think with our current roster and list of prospects, our best shot was always that a team of 25-30 slightly above average guys can hold their own against a team with 10 elite players and 15-20 average players.

We just aren't likely to have many (if any) of those blockbuster superstar talented players on the roster anytime soon.

And it is not like he's getting the support of our best players. We've tossed out the B-lineup in support.

Who? Braun isn't out there, but you've got Shaw, Yelich, Cain, Aguilar... if you would have rather gone Braun and Aguilar in instead of Santana and Aguilar I can't argue but other than that they should be able to do more than this. My feelings about Sogard are well known but it's not like Arcia is a bat you miss.

As great as Aguilar has been, I'm not on the he's a star bandwagon. I think Arcia is still a way better offensive selection than Sogard and Villar is a better option than Perez for me. You take Braun out, our best and hottest hitter as well. It is a recipe for another loss. It is okay though because these games are expected throughout the season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers just aren't likely to ever be a team that can ever have that kind of rotation, so relying on that metric to win a WS is probably not going to be the way to go.

I think with our current roster and list of prospects, our best shot was always that a team of 25-30 slightly above average guys can hold their own against a team with 10 elite players and 15-20 average players.

We just aren't likely to have many (if any) of those blockbuster superstar talented players on the roster anytime soon.

Actually last year according to ERA we had

#1, #1 (Anderson, Nelson), #2 (Davies) #4 (Garza) #5(Suter + Guerra + Peralta combo)

2011 we had

#2, #2 (Gallardo, Marcum) #3, #3 (Wolf, Greinke) #4 (Narveson)

2008 we had

#1, #1 (Sabathia, Sheets) #3 (Villanueva + McClung) #3 (Bush) #4 (Parra) #5 (Suppan)

Archived