Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Schoop

Verified Member
Not a huge fan of low-OBP guys like Schoop, but obviously he's an upgrade over what we have, so it all depends on the cost. I like that he's under control for 2019 as well.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does a realistic package look like for Schoop and Gausman? No way I include Hiura or Burnes. Since Gausman has so much control left perhaps Woodruff or Peralta is the headliner. Throw in Villar since we no longer need him. Two more prospects?

I don't think it would be both Schoop and Gausman because those two are deep in arbitration and combined would cost somewhere around 18 million next year. That likely pushes the Brewer's payroll to 108 million and doesn't leave them much room for doing anything else this upcoming off-season.

But if it would happen, I think the combo would be pretty expensive. It's 1+ year of Schoop and 2+ years of Gausman. It's wouldn't put Hiura in play but Burnes could very well be part of the mix. If Hiura/Burnes/Peralta are all excluded, probably two top 10 prospects, two more in the 11-20 region and one of the Brewers better fringe prospects (someone like Demi Orimoloye)...and that would probably be the minimum. Then maybe throw Villar in if the O's had any interest. Wouldn't completely rule out Domingo Santana.

I don't think it would be both Schoop and Gausman because those two are deep in arbitration and combined would cost somewhere around 18 million next year. That likely pushes the Brewer's payroll to 108 million and doesn't leave them much room for doing anything else this upcoming off-season.

But if it would happen, I think the combo would be pretty expensive. It's 1+ year of Schoop and 2+ years of Gausman. It's wouldn't put Hiura in play but Burnes could very well be part of the mix. If Hiura/Burnes/Peralta are all excluded, probably two top 10 prospects, two more in the 11-20 region and one of the Brewers better fringe prospects (someone like Demi Orimoloye)...and that would probably be the minimum. Then maybe throw Villar in if the O's had any interest. Wouldn't completely rule out Domingo Santana.

What really would we need to do though? Small buy here or there? We have a bunch of guys in the system for depth that will be able to come up in the next year or two...Mark A will boost the payroll if he sees consistent winning on the table.

Yeah assuming we add those two we don’t really need much. Outfield will be set. First base. Third base. Second base. Maybe some insurance for Arcia. But the rotation is set. If you pick up the option on Soria the bullpen is mostly set. Nottingham and Pina splitting catching duties. Just basically need the guys you already have to hit better.

Phillips Ortiz, +++

I'm fine with that. Depending on the pluses of course. I don't value Ortiz much. At some point there needs to be production. I'd be far more reticent to deal Phillips. Hes an almost ideal 4th OF. Elite D with some pop from the left side.

I'm really intrigued by Gausman so I'd pull the trigger as long as the pluses aren't top 10 guys which they wouldn't be most likely.

Phillips Ortiz, +++

I'm fine with that. Depending on the pluses of course. I don't value Ortiz much. At some point there needs to be production. I'd be far more reticent to deal Phillips. Hes an almost ideal 4th OF. Elite D with some pop from the left side.

I'm really intrigued by Gausman so I'd pull the trigger as long as the pluses aren't top 10 guys which they wouldn't be most likely.

Well if the Machado deal was an indication, Baltimore seems to want a headliner or two and a lot of extras. So let’s add 3 from our 15 to 30 to Phillips and Ortiz who seem like obvious headliners here.

Verified Member

I wonder if we would try to dump Anderson in a trade (Miller and Villar could be non-tendered).

We could have a decent starting rotation if they let Peralta and Burnes take over, plus low-cost depth like Suter and Woodruff. First-year arbitration guys Guerra and Davies trade candidates as well.

Nelson

Gausman

Chacin

Peralta

Burnes

Id prefer Bundy personally even if it costs more..,.

I am not sure why everyone keeps bringing up Bundy. Bundy isn't a clear improvement over anyone in the rotation right now and you would have to really believe that he would improve here by a lot to be better than what the Brewers already have. You are basically having to bank on Bundy becoming the next Arrieta. It could happen but I am not confident in that happening.

I don't believe Bundy or Gausman have much value. If they were pitching for the Brewers today and you were looking to trade these players in this market you are looking at maybe a teams 15-20 ranked prospect plus one or two lottery tickets.

I believe Schoop has more value and something like this Ortiz/Phillips, Diplan, and Grisham would be a fair trade for both Schoop and Bundy. The Orioles could get more by selling both of them separately but not all that much more.

Bundy will probably finish the season at about 1.5 WAR and Schoop at about 1.3. Lets round Schoop up to 1.5 and say you are getting two 1.5 WAR players are you really going to give up a top prospect for two 1.5 WAR players? If anything I would offer the same package the Brewers offered for Machado for both Dylan and Schoop. If that is not enough then I would just walk away and that might be an overpay.

Hmmm Phillips a healthy scratch tonight...

I just can't comprehend the Moustakas thing. I must not be nerdy analytical enough.

I honestly think they think Shaw can handle 2nd. Which seems crazy to me, but what do I know?

I honestly think they think Shaw can handle 2nd. Which seems crazy to me, but what do I know?

Shaw at 2B only works if Arcia is up playing SS. !!!CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!! Arcia was brought up to get Moustakas!!!

Not super optimistic that Schoop would be a significant offensive upgrade. And even though we're looking for offense, Schoop is a better defender than any of our current options and Shaw at 2B scares the crap out of me.

Schoop is 1067 in his last 28 days plus another HR tonight. 5 WAR in 2017. One more year of control.

And doing that all with 0 BB in the month of July. That is right 0 BB. Oh and going back all the way to June 24 Schoop has a total of 1 BB. Since June 1 he has 8 BB and 1 IBB. So over about 2 months he has a total of 8 BB and 1 IBB. Are you sure you really want someone like Schoop. I seem to remember you harking on the team not being patient enough at the plate. Schoop is anything but patient he is more closer to Villar and Arcia than he is Yelich or Cain. Actually a better comp is probably Perez with more power.

I don't see Schoop repeating what he did last year any more than I think Villar can reproduce his 2016 season.

Schoop is 1067 in his last 28 days plus another HR tonight. 5 WAR in 2017. One more year of control.

And doing that all with 0 BB in the month of July. That is right 0 BB. Oh and going back all the way to June 24 Schoop has a total of 1 BB. Since June 1 he has 8 BB and 1 IBB. So over about 2 months he has a total of 8 BB and 1 IBB. Are you sure you really want someone like Schoop. I seem to remember you harking on the team not being patient enough at the plate. Schoop is anything but patient he is more closer to Villar and Arcia than he is Yelich or Cain. Actually a better comp is probably Perez with more power.

I don't see Schoop repeating what he did last year any more than I think Villar can reproduce his 2016 season.

Yeah, I'd prefer just Gausman to be honest.

Yeah, I'd prefer just Gausman to be honest.

Give me Gausman, Dozier and one more under the radar pen arm and lets go to war. Doubt it happens though.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I never said I wanted him only that he and Gausmam will cost a ton and they will.

I never said I wanted him only that he and Gausmam will cost a ton and they will.

And yet you haven't qualified why they both would cost a ton other than hot bat maybe Gausman will be better on another team speculation. While what a player is doing currently does have a small impact on their value teams are still going to look at the overall picture and I just don't see Gausman and Schoop garnering more than what I have proposed. Ray, Ortiz, and a lottery ticket is pretty close to what their value is and that may even be an overpay.

Archived