Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Schoop

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't add much to Villar for Schoop, & certainly not Ortiz. Villar has another year of salary control, and both guys have had one seemingly breakout year surrounded by mediocre years.

Schoop is intriguing to me -- any middle infielder with 30+ HR power is. He's definitely better than what he's been, but with the year he's had I doubt he costs much. The control through next season is nice -- it gives you the opportunity to not rush Hiura and see if Schoop can rebound. If he can, you have a really good problem on your hands. If not, Hiura will be pretty much ready anyway.

In 2017 he was a 5+ WAR player who was an All-Star and finished 12th in MVP voting. So he's not very far removed from being an elite player, and he's only 26.

I'm not saying I'd give up Ortiz for him, but depending on price I'd definitely take a flyer, and he's a serviceable defender, unlike Asdrubal Cabrera.

watching this team not really sure any one of these middle infielders will make an impact on this team

Have you watched Miller and Villar lately? I get that if Arcia gets it going, we'll see more of Saladino at 2B, but Schoop's a cut above those guys, and one of the hottest hitters in the game the last month.

Schoop worries me a little bit since he doesn't walk so he's dependent on a high batting average to have a passable OBP. The power would certainly help at 5th or 6th in this line up though.

He's pretty expensive and will get more expensive next season. He has no positional flexibility. I'd assume Hiura is ready at some point early next season. Not sure where Schoop fits on the roster in 2019.

Schoop worries me a little bit since he doesn't walk so he's dependent on a high batting average to have a passable OBP. The power would certainly help at 5th or 6th in this line up though.

He's pretty expensive and will get more expensive next season. He has no positional flexibility. I'd assume Hiura is ready at some point early next season. Not sure where Schoop fits on the roster in 2019.

If he hits 25-30 HR between August and next July, they can get half of what it costs them back in a deal to make room for Hiura.

Please someone tell me some reasons why I should be excited about acquiring aforementioned Gausman

Because with the Brewers defense behind him his ERA would be around 1.00-1.50 lower. At last check Baltimore's defense was Philadelphia Phillies bad.

From Paul Imig on Twitter July 7th...

If the Brewers had the Phillies defense, Milwaukee’s 3.54 ERA (4th-best in MLB) would be a 5.42 ERA (which would be the worst in MLB). Defense matters. Also, pitchers should WANT to be with the Brewers. What would Arrieta’s ERA be if he was in Milwaukee and not Philly?

From Jerry Crasnick on Twitter July 7th...

Through Friday, the #Phillies rank last in #MLB with minus-77 Defensive Runs Saved, according to Baseball Info Solutions. The #Orioles are a minus-71. The #Brewers (+87) and #Dbacks (+79) rank 1-2.

The Orioles defense is almost as bad as Philadelphia's.

Please someone tell me some reasons why I should be excited about acquiring aforementioned Gausman

He's 27 and former top prospect who has made 30 starts the past two seasons?

Change of scenery guy. I'm not stoked about it as a deadline move. Would be happier about it as an off season move with a little more margin for error.

I really liked Gausman going into last year. Tough sledding since. Terrible defense isn't helping as mentioned. Baserunners allowed are alarming though.

That's the key aspect of the defensive runs saved stat. Many, many of those baserunners wouldn't have been baserunners with the Brewers defense swapped in for Baltimore's.

I’d take a Shoop and Gausman over nothing - as long as the cost is not killer. I think the biggest thing we all need to keep in mind is that a prospect is a prospect only ... most don’t pan out for various reasons. If we have a chance to make the lineup and rotation better, with where we are at this year already, I’m all for it. I don’t want to just play in the wild card game , I want to win the wild card game and go a couple rounds. This team as it sits today needs a Shoop ot Dozier or Gausman or Buddy or Gibson to do so. A couple of those would put us in fantastic shape and then I believe allow us to at least make it interesting with the Cubs.

I think Schoop will continue his 2nd half surge. He could be a monster pick up. As long as we keep Hiura, I'm cool with any package. It would also be cool to get a strike out machine like Gausman. He needs Dereck Johnson to take the next step.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived